Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

BYU, Houston, Cincy and UCONN. Pretty sure that's going to be the four. huskies get the very last raft off the island.

Memphis CSU UCF just miss the cut.

BYU, Houston, Cincy and UCONN. Pretty sure that's going to be the four. huskies get the very last raft off the island.

BYU isn't likely. I think its Cincy/Houston/UCF/UConn

Memphis in, UConn out.

Memphis in, UConn out.
Yup it is really in no conference's best interest to throw UCONN a lifeline. The football $ they would scam off a bigger conference feeds their ability to maintain a strong Basketball program taking conference wins, recruits and tourney slots away from the bigger programs in basketball and significantly weakening the football conference without adding true football TV footprint.

If they're going to 4 I think I'd pick UCF along with Houston, BYU and Memphis. Cincy is fine, but long term the growth is in Florida, not Ohio. And from a facilities standpoint UCF seems ahead of USF.
BYU thinks they are in. Looks like if they take CSU too, they can add them both in 2017 (so they get more money ASAP).

If this report can be believed, they would then add 2 AAC teams in 2018.

Full membership but half the money for the length of the contract.

The B12 schools are looking out for #1 again. They show no willingness to act like a normal conference would act...just trying to milk the most money out of this situation while the B12 is still considered a P5 conference.

I don't see an agreement to take half the pay to buy our way into the conferance (ike) - CougarBoard.com

BYU thinks they are in. Looks like if they take CSU too, they can add them both in 2017 (so they get more money ASAP).

The B12 schools are looking out for #1 again. They show no willingness to act like a normal conference would act...just trying to milk the most money out of this situation while the B12 is still considered a P5 conference.

I don't see an agreement to take half the pay to buy our way into the conferance (ike) - CougarBoard.com
Whereas the ramp-up of payouts is not without precedent (the Girls and the Twerps are perfect examples), I am glad we belong to a conference that didn't ask us to buy in to the game. Once we were members, we were members. Period. Even Nebraska can't say that.

On a side note - that board format is next to impossible to read. Yikes!

My bad...I knew that...brain fart...applies to CSU...if they get the call but a backup in Jake's plan

If CSU isn't one of the top choices why take them for an extra $10M for the conference instead of waiting one year? When you divide the other revenue (Bowls, etc) by an extra team, each school gets less than $1M more.

It is looking more and more like UConn will get left behind. If/when the ACC expands, they shouldn't be taken either. If Cincinnati doesn't get picked by the B12, they should be ahead. If the ACCN has fee issues in Eastern PA, Temple should be ahead. If the ACCN has fee issues in Central Florida, UCF should be ahead assuming the B12 doesn't take them. If none of those 3 scenarios are true, then UConn could be the choice but that they need a lot to break their way.

Plus if you love this conference realignment jazz, these ACC networks are setting off another stampede as the Big 12 tries to stabilize itself - I read somewhere they copyrighted (?) the name Big14 when they formed. If the Big12 adds 4, talk is that the Pac 12 could then add 2 so they wouldn't be the smallest major conference - and maybe new states would help their struggling go-it-alone network. Since all the ACC schools are happily stuck together with more $$$ and TV exposure, none of us will be directly affected.

It would be a trademark filing, not a copyright. I just searched the USPTO web site, and there are no applications or registrations for a mark for the name "Big 14" in the system, pending or otherwise.

It would be a trademark filing, not a copyright. I just searched the USPTO web site, and there are no applications or registrations for a mark for the name "Big 14" in the system, pending or otherwise.
Could it be Big XIV?

If the ACC wanted to grab someone now, I would pick Cincy as they fill the gap (though inland) left by MD and brings us into Big 10 territory. Put them in the Coastal - it would be unbalanced but I would do it. That assumes the Big 12 will last past 2025 when their GOR ends - but that may not be certain. Right now it is clear that the leaked announcement of the ACC networks tomorrow morning has triggered a cattle stampede in the Big 12 (sorry but that metaphor amuses me) - the 2 to 4 teams that join them may be thinking they are in a "stampede to safety" but as Alsacs and others have mentioned they may be in a "stampede to a shakedown" if the Big 12 keeps say half of their money for the next 8 years. The dead giveaway will be if the Big 12 does not extend the GOR after the new teams enter - then there will be 2 to 4 Texas and Oklahoma teams rampaging their way out in 2025. Wow. Those Vegas gangsters have nothing on these athletic conferences.

This whole concept of who will accept the least money to join makes little sense to me from the perspective of the applicant. Sure, it may be more money than that school is making now in its G-5 conference, but damn, that's going to create all sorts of hard feelings among University presidents. I just don't see it.

Why the hell would the Big 12 want another team in Texas that ALREADY challenges their flagships for recruits? Yes, Houston does.

Because the best team in greater Houston - the 4th largest TV market in the country - plays in another league now.

I think Memphis beats out UConn. The travel to and from CT for non-revenue sports is going to be the killer. West Virginia is already "too far". UConn football doesn't deliver any eyeballs. I just don't see it.

This whole concept of who will accept the least money to join makes little sense to me from the perspective of the applicant. Sure, it may be more money than that school is making now in its G-5 conference, but damn, that's going to create all sorts of hard feelings among University presidents. I just don't see it.
I think it makes the most sense out of all of it. none of the schools add actual value to the contract, the only way for the existing big12 schools to make more money is to add schools, whoever they see fit, again is doesn't matter because none of them actually add value. they can add whoever they want and add 20M per school. the only way for the existing members to make more money is to give the new schools a part share and bank the rest. so why is it such a reach to go the next step and pick the schools that will take the least to get on board?

I think it makes the most sense out of all of it. none of the schools add actual value to the contract, the only way for the existing big12 schools to make more money is to add schools, whoever they see fit, again is doesn't matter because none of them actually add value. they can add whoever they want and add 20M per school. the only way for the existing members to make more money is to give the new schools a part share and bank the rest. so why is it such a reach to go the next step and pick the schools that will take the least to get on board?

I agree with your assessment as pertains to UT, OU and partially to Kansas. The remaining Big 12 teams NEED to the invitees to make a splash big enough to keep UT and OU in the conference at the end of the current TV deal/GOR. If the added teams do not pan out to some extent, the Big 12 may simply cease to exist in less than a decade.

I am guessing they will become the Big XIV as that will be only 2 new schools above the original 12 members.

"In anticipation of the possibility of expansion to 14 by 1996, the new conference trademarked both "Big 12" and "Big 14"."

History of the Big 12 Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The included reference however refers to a copyright - the site for that would be the Library of Congress:

The Deseret News - Google News Archive Search

In the short run they are trying to avoid being left behind by the ACC and also trying to outflank the Pac 12 which would then be smallest conference. The Pac 12 may not sit still however, especially given the problems of their go-it-alone conference network. All of this may set off another huge ripple of conference realignment as the AAC and maybe the MWC try to backfill from C-USA, the MAC, and the Sunbelt.

"The 2005 NCAA conference realignment was initiated by the movement of three Big East Conference teams (Boston College, University of Miami, and Virginia Tech) to the Atlantic Coast Conference [which] set into motion events that created a realignment in college football, as 23 teams changed conferences and Army became an independent."

2005 NCAA conference realignment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Twenty three teams - Good grief!

Last edited:
I'm not so sure. An invitation to a P-5 conference is more than just more money - it's assuring one's future. And if it takes 5 years to get up to 'full' membership, so be it (I'm looking at you Twerps, Girls, and Huskers). I'm too busy right now, but did WFVU get a full cut immediately?

Look at it this way - do you think UConn would hesitate for one millisecond if they received an offer from ANY P-5 conference, regardless of the terms? It's a fun discussion, because we're on the inside and don't have to worry about it. Thankfully!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom