Big 12 to expand...or not | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Big 12 to expand...or not

I'm not so sure. An invitation to a P-5 conference is more than just more money - it's assuring one's future. And if it takes 5 years to get up to 'full' membership, so be it (I'm looking at you Twerps, Girls, and Huskers). I'm too busy right now, but did WFVU get a full cut immediately?

Look at it this way - do you think UConn would hesitate for one millisecond if they received an offer from ANY P-5 conference, regardless of the terms? It's a fun discussion, because we're on the inside and don't have to worry about it. Thankfully!

WVa did not - I think they and TCU got around $10 million the first year and over a 3 or 4 year period reached a full payment - in fact I think that is this year (2016-2017).

Are any of the candidates attractive enough to help the Big XII get the GOR extended?
xk.gif

Iowa State sits in an island (surrounded by B1G teams) somewhat geographically detached from the conference center. The school has a very dedicated FB fanbase (better than SU's FB fanbase) and has had limited success in both major sports. Their basketball team does occasionally surprise and they did give us Wes Johnson (thanks)...however, they are somewhat the B12's stepchild. Conference realignment could backfire on them and they could be stuck playing in the "Land of Misfit Toys Conference" so it is no surprise thet ISU would like to keep the status quo...this money grab could end badly for them in less than a decade.

From CSNBBS h/t: CyclonePowerhttp://csnbbs.com/thread-785614.html
Iowa State's AD sounds off on expansion

Off the record (podcast) w/ CW: Jamie Pollard – CycloneFanatic.com
Iowa state has off the record podcast and this week they talked to the Athletic director Jaime Pollard.

He talks about expansion for about 15 mins of it so I figured I could sum up for you guys what the main parts of it if you didn't want to listen.

Off the record (podcast) w/ CW: Jamie Pollard – CycloneFanatic.com

- Jaime had been in poland these past few days so he hasn't been able to talk that much about expansion with other presidents besides the Iowa State one. (I think this shows that they still are looking around because I doubt they would make a decision if an AD was out of the country)

- the big 12 wasn't going to expand going into the media day meetings.

- the decision to expand was started by the presidents of the schools and not the ADs.

- Jaime believes they still are not going to expand.

- he says don't believe all the Twitter hype. It's 100% BS. (No one has sources)

- he believes they wanted to expand once they saw the ACC extend their GOR

- he brought up the point that the only way they will extend the big 12 GOR is if everyone is happy with the new expansion candidates.

- the big 12 is interested in seeing if their tv partners will give them more money to not expand.

-the big 12 is interested in new medias like streaming sites.

Last edited:
For the Big 12, I personally like a "western" themed 4 team play rather than grabbing tertiary schoola in the ACC/SEC/B1G footprint. If I'm the B12 I go with BYU, Colorado State, Boise State, and UNLV. If you can't stomach UNLV then go with Cincinnati as a bone to WVU.

If Bevo and the sooner can't decide between let's say...BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, Colorado St and Houston...they may just throw Iowa St out and take all 5.

Id shaddup if I were them.

If Bevo and the sooner can't decide between let's say...BYU, Cincinnati, Memphis, Colorado St and Houston...they may just throw Iowa St out and take all 5.

Id shaddup if I were them.

Last sentence makes sense to me. If the "centrifugal forces" in the conference cause it to fly apart in 8-9 years and they didn't expand, the 10 existing members would have lost a ton of "entry fees". If they did expand, they would have them and all including ISU would be better off at that time. What about this do they not understand?

Last sentence makes sense to me. If the "centrifugal forces" in the conference cause it to fly apart in 8-9 years and they didn't expand, the 10 existing members would have lost a ton of "entry fees". If they did expand, they would have them and all including ISU would be better off at that time. What about this do they not understand?
I think some of the members are concerned that the expansion candidates would add little, or no, value to the conference. Which means that the Big XII is not more likely to be able to stay together than it would as presently constituted. The problem is, there aren't any schools out there who will strengthen their conference.

As you noted. at least they would have the entry fee bucks. But, maybe they think if they lay down with dogs, they will get up with fleas.

They may think that the 10 of them, with the addition of their conference championship game, will be able to squeeze more money out of their media partners. But it sure looks like ESPN and Fox have both made bets on other leagues.

Cinncy, Houston, BYU, most discussed.Memphis emerging as the #4. Expanding to 4 more likely than 2.

SOURCES: BIG 12 MOVING TOWARD EXPANSION

Cinncy, Houston, BYU, most discussed.Memphis emerging as the #4. Expanding to 4 more likely than 2.

Interesting (if accurate). So it's an unknown if the financial pop for adding teams requires adding years to the GOR?

In expansion talks, just what does OU really want?

However, one industry insider, who worked directly with programming before recently leaving for another job in the industry, indicated getting the Big 12 schools to sign a grant of rights without offering anything in return will be a tough sell for the networks, even as they have to shell out up to $800 million to the league. More likely, to get a grant of rights extension, ESPN and Fox would have to put forward an immediate renegotiation of the Big 12's tier 1 and 2 deals, and pay the Big 12 up to the levels of the SEC and Big Ten. The Big Ten is now getting an estimated $250 million per year from Fox for only half of its rights.

If the networks put that on the table, the Big 12's viability for the next two decades would be virtually assured.

Pretty sure that industry insider now resides in CNY...

Not sure my reaction to that. Extended GOR to result in B1G and SEC dollars? For Bevo? Why? Is that what we got?

However, one industry insider, who worked directly with programming before recently leaving for another job in the industry, indicated getting the Big 12 schools to sign a grant of rights without offering anything in return will be a tough sell for the networks, even as they have to shell out up to $800 million to the league. More likely, to get a grant of rights extension, ESPN and Fox would have to put forward an immediate renegotiation of the Big 12's tier 1 and 2 deals, and pay the Big 12 up to the levels of the SEC and Big Ten. The Big Ten is now getting an estimated $250 million per year from Fox for only half of its rights.

If the networks put that on the table, the Big 12's viability for the next two decades would be virtually assured.

Not sure my reaction to that. Extended GOR to result in B1G and SEC dollars? For Bevo? Why? Is that what we got?
I can't imagine ESPN and FOX will do that (buy B1G/SEC dollars to that troubled mess of a league).

I think they either refuse to pay the money for the expansion schools and take the B12 to court or pay it without requiring a GOR extension, knowing long term, most of the schools are going to get peanuts when the B12 is decommissioned as a P5 conference when the current GOR expires.

It's quite the dance going on. Schools trying to game the system for quick money by adding junior members who are just happy with a seat at the table. Networks who are pushing back. Who wants the GOR extended and who doesn't? I still don't understand the "source" talking about SEC / B1G money, unless of course there is a provision in the ACC contract that in no event does ACC make less than B12. :)
I can't imagine ESPN and FOX will do that (buy B1G/SEC dollars to that troubled mess of a league).

I think they either refuse to pay the money for the expansion schools and take the B12 to court or pay it without requiring a GOR extension, knowing long term, most of the schools are going to get peanuts when the B12 is decommissioned as a P5 conference when the current GOR expires.

From a source in Norman, OK, I hear that the four leaders are:

1) Houston (backed by UT/TexasBlech)
2) Cincy (backed by OU)
3) UCF (market, recruiting, potential fanbase)
4a) Tulane (academics and favored by UT and OU, with good relations at both schools)
4b) Memphis (FedEx money, good recruiting grounds, poor academics)

BYU - Weird scheduling issues in all sports not called football
USF - UCF wins out
BYU - Not on Radar
UConn - Some want them but not realistic (no NYC impact, no recruiting, travel)

Somehow this industry insider's comment had to have been made which somehow was / could be to the benefit of both the ACC (Syracuse) and ESPN. What connecting of dots would make that so?

I'm going to keep patting myself on the back for calling all four from the beginning. :D

Somehow this industry insider's comment had to have been made which somehow was / could be to the benefit of both the ACC (Syracuse) and ESPN. What connecting of dots would make that so?
I think the insider was just pointing out that it is unlikely we will see a GOR extension with the B12. Texas and Oklahoma are short timers. The rest are the Walking Dead.

From a source in Norman, OK, I hear that the four leaders are:

4a) Tulane (academics and favored by UT and OU, with good relations at both schools)
Wow! That's "bolt from the blue".

Wow! That's "bolt from the blue".

My source stated that OU and UT have good ties with Tulane and like their academics to kind of make up for the TAMU and Mizzou losses. Also, NOLA is a great add to any conference wanting exposure and a place to visit for other fan bases. I was not surprised they would be in the mix, but was surprised by them being in the top 4. I personally thought they might have a shot as a 6th team. Then again, the west is not where Texas wants to be, they know they need eastern exposure and time slots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom