Biggest Improvements | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Biggest Improvements

I don't think WR is going to be the problem. Switching Phillips to slot - along with a healthy Estime/Broyld, and Steve Ish improving? All the signs are there to have enough threats.

Trey Dunk could be the TE we're looking for. Custis and Enoicy could grow into those roles.

For me it's - Hunt and Lester. How well does he take to the system? Can he read and make good enough throws to open up the field?

I think you said it better than I did.

I think we have enough tools at RB and WR and TE to move the ball and score.

I think we are more talented at those positions than we have been in years.

So, it is up to the QB to be productive and it is up to Lester to put him in positions to succeed.

You're right - it's Hunt and Lester.

IMO, it all comes down to QB play. We don't need Hunt to win games...just manage them and limit turnovers.

Btw, I think the most under-rated/overlooked player on offense is Ben Lewis. He is always open and has great(sans dropped td pass) hands. Very good possession receiver. I have far more faith in him than I've ever had in Broyld.
I agree completely a healthy Hunt with a good running game and 7-12 yard patterns will get it done. I have never been that impressed with Broyld, has it all but never has seemed to put it together, he is all bun and no burger. I look at Lewis as a Welker type player in this offense, if used right could have 60-70 receptions.

To me every offense starts with the offensive line. Syracuse has questions at every position on the line. Who plays left tackle? Can Robinson and Foy stay healthy and on the field? Is this the year that Trudo takes a leap forward? Who plays center? A healthy Hunt and improved play from skill position players will help, but the offense comes down to the offensive line play.

I agree completely a healthy Hunt with a good running game and 7-12 yard patterns will get it done. I have never been that impressed with Broyld, has it all but never has seemed to put it together, he is all bun and no burger. I look at Lewis as a Welker type player in this offense, if used right could have 60-70 receptions.
Other than staying healthy, AB's biggest problem is catching the ball consistently. It doesn't matter how fast you are or if you run good routes if you drop passes. He would have multiple TD catches by now if he had better hands.

To me every offense starts with the offensive line. Syracuse has questions at every position on the line. Who plays left tackle? Can Robinson and Foy stay healthy and on the field? Is this the year that Trudo takes a leap forward? Who plays center? A healthy Hunt and improved play from skill position players will help, but the offense comes down to the offensive line play.
Absolutely. We also will have a new scheme. Different formations and packages means different things to learn. Good thing the schedule is favorable to begin the season.

The one thing Broyld has going for him is his ability to beat press coverage. He is big, strong, and fast enough to get off the jam and gain some separation. However, what happens after that...

I hope Broyld does well in his final season. Kid gets a lot of flack around here. I am bullish on him this year.

Shafer is all in on Lester so it really boils down to Lester. I think that Lester's offense will be very friendly to Hunt and to the OLine. In general our talent may be more suited to his system and if so we could get much better results.
Crusty, what's your sense for what it means that Lester's offense will be more friendly to Hunt and the Oline? I'm getting worried that this is one of those things lots of people are saying on here that we're all believing to be true, but none of us know exactly what it means and how exactly whatever Lester will do on offense is going to be better for us.

The one thing Broyld has going for him is his ability to beat press coverage. He is big, strong, and fast enough to get off the jam and gain some separation. However, what happens after that...

I hope Broyld does well in his final season. Kid gets a lot of flack around here. I am bullish on him this year.
Broyld is an unfortunate case of the staff not knowing what to do with him. I have always through he was a better back than the others we have had sine he has been here. The kid has been moved around like a utility infielder. I think he would have been pretty good catching the ball out of the backfield. He is not a natural receiver and has dropped a lot of easy catches over the middle by failing to watch the ball into his hands before turning to run. I really think this was a big failure of the staff (both of them).

For not picking up any receivers this class, the slot seems loaded. Avant, Phillips, and Estime. Would they really keep Broyld there too? I'm not sure.

Who's on the outside? Ishmael, Enoicy, Custis? Who else here?

There's also Ben Lewis, Alvin Cornelius and Funderburke is back for another year.

Crusty, what's your sense for what it means that Lester's offense will be more friendly to Hunt and the Oline? I'm getting worried that this is one of those things lots of people are saying on here that we're all believing to be true, but none of us know exactly what it means and how exactly whatever Lester will do on offense is going to be better for us.
I guess I am just resigned to what I see as an inevitability. In his heart of hearts, I think Shafer wants to play like Addazio. He tried the spread thing and it was a fiasco. I think he will go back to basics and just run the ball 65% of the time. We just can't win with the passing talent on hand. Last year certainly proved that Hunt didn't develop as hoped and the others were either not ready or just not good enough. Without an effective passing QB what other choice does he really have?

I may be seeing things that aren't there. but think I see all the hallmarks of a program gearing up to run the ball and play ball control, low scoring football.
  • We modified our recruiting to bring in TEs
  • Lester has talked up the 12 package
  • By all accounts we will have a good kicking game - essential to ball control game strategy. (It was not lost on Shafer that he could have beaten Clemson with a good FG kicker.)
  • Our ST improved and we now have the depth to get even better. All we need is a kick return guy - Philips was promising.
  • We have what appear to be effective running backs. Strickland will put on a few pounds and be an effective between the tackle runner. He has it all - patience, agility, good top end speed, cut back ability - just what Lester needs. I think he might be the surprise this year,
  • We are moving Philips to the slot. At 5'11" 179 lbs he is a quick scat back not a power runner. They want him in space and he can catch the ball. More importantly, I think you will see him in sweeps and yes, the dreaded screen pass. With Lester, I think you will see more tunnel screens and classic delays.
  • We really only have Estime that that can stretch the field but how many do you really need when you are only trying to keep them honest?
  • A healthy Hunt in a heavy offense probably works better than Hunt in a spread. If they play man against him he will get very big rushing numbers.
Everything above indicate to me that the best utilization of our talent is to play like BC. We can have winning season, go bowling and Shafer can save his job and give him a chance to continue building something.

Last edited:
There's also Ben Lewis, Alvin Cornelius and Funderburke is back for another year.
Funder has not been a factor at all and I don't see that changing.
Alvin caught 9 passes in 9 games in 2013 and only 3 last year in the same number of games. Was he injured?
Lewis caught 24 passes in 10 games last year for an average of 11.46 yards per catch. I think he is going to get nothing but better.

Broyld is an unfortunate case of the staff not knowing what to do with him. I have always through he was a better back than the others we have had sine he has been here. The kid has been moved around like a utility infielder. I think he would have been pretty good catching the ball out of the backfield. He is not a natural receiver and has dropped a lot of easy catches over the middle by failing to watch the ball into his hands before turning to run. I really think this was a big failure of the staff (both of them).
It's tough when a player's size and athleticism doesn't match up with his skill-set and mentality. Broyld may go down as one of the great SU football puzzles.

I may be seeing things that aren't there. but think I see all the halmarks of a program gearing up to run the ball and play ball control, low scoring football.
We're screwed. That's a loser's game. No margin for error at all. Scraping in to bowl games in 2010 and 2013 that way has fooled us in to thinking that works. Boring product for the fans.

Your post was good, I just see so many contradictions in what this staff seems to be doing. The 12 supposedly is the answer, and we move one of our most promising players to the slot, ie a formation that supposedly won't be our base set. This puts our players in the best position to succeed? Getting more size on the field is supposed to help Hunt to rush, but he rushed great last season in the spread, his running made him less effective as a passer and running is what got him injured. Do we really want Hunt running? We recruited heavily to improve long snapping and kicking, but we have a coach that loves punting to "pin 'em deep" and "maybe the defense can make something happen." Do we actually want him to trust his kicking game more?

I add it all up and it just feels like a mess.

We're screwed. That's a loser's game. No margin for error at all. Scraping in to bowl games in 2010 and 2013 that way has fooled us in to thinking that works. Boring product for the fans.

Your post was good, I just see so many contradictions in what this staff seems to be doing. The 12 supposedly is the answer, and we move one of our most promising players to the slot, ie a formation that supposedly won't be our base set. This puts our players in the best position to succeed? Getting more size on the field is supposed to help Hunt to rush, but he rushed great last season in the spread, his running made him less effective as a passer and running is what got him injured. Do we really want Hunt running? We recruited heavily to improve long snapping and kicking, but we have a coach that loves punting to "pin 'em deep" and "maybe the defense can make something happen." Do we actually want him to trust his kicking game more?

I add it all up and it just feels like a mess.
I am afraid it is what it is.

Oscar Gamble.jpg

I am afraid it is what it is.

View attachment 35391
The only other option is to hope Hunt can actually throw the ball in a game not just practice. I don't think Lester or Shafer will bet their jobs on that. They need time and the only way to get it is to try to win ugly. Otherwise, someone else will benefit from the last two classes.

What else is there other than these two options?

The only other option is to hope Hunt can actually throw the ball in a game not just practice. I don't think Lester or Shafer will bet their jobs on that. They need time and the only way to get it is to try to win ugly. Otherwise, someone else will benefit from the last two classes.

What else is there other than these two options?
Well... just my personal opinion but I think Shafer could have bought himself more time by hiring a new OC altogether.

I suspect that we may never break away from trying to win ugly. It's all our coaches believe in. There will always be reasons for saying that's what we should try to do.

Well... just my personal opinion but I think Shafer could have bought himself more time by hiring a new OC altogether.

I suspect that we may never break away from trying to win ugly. It's all our coaches believe in. There will always be reasons for saying that's what we should try to do.
Me also, but in hindsight that was never going to happen. Lester was always plan B.

BTW, if we land one of the transfers and they prove to be the real deal, things could change. A good running game combined with a real P5 passer...
But that's 2016 and Shafer needs to survive 2015.

You guys are funny. Getting depressed about stuff that hasn't even happened. I too am saddened by the fall of the US economy, Y2K, and the Mayan apocalypse.

Give it time.

You guys are funny. Getting depressed about stuff that hasn't even happened. I too am saddened by the fall of the US economy, Y2K, and the Mayan apocalypse.

Give it time.
Time's all I've got. My fandom will outlast our players and coaches. It's been some 15 years now since we saw an offense that was any good in consecutive seasons, what's another decade or so?

Crusty said:
I guess I am just resigned to what I see as an inevitability. In his heart of hearts, I think Shafer wants to play like Addazio. He tried the spread thing and it was a fiasco. I think he will go back to basics and just run the ball 65% of the time. We just can't win with the passing talent on hand. Last year certainly proved that Hunt didn't develop as hoped and the others were either not ready or just not good enough. Without an effective passing QB what other choice does he really have? I may be seeing things that aren't there. but think I see all the hallmarks of a program gearing up to run the ball and play ball control, low scoring football. [*]We modified our recruiting to bring in TEs [*]Lester has talked up the 12 package [*]By all accounts we will have a good kicking game - essential to ball control game strategy. (It was not lost on Shafer that he could have beaten Clemson with a good FG kicker.) [*]Our ST improved and we now have the depth to get even better. All we need is a kick return guy - Philips was promising. [*]We have what appear to be effective running backs. Strickland will put on a few pounds and be an effective between the tackle runner. He has it all - patience, agility, good top end speed, cut back ability - just what Lester needs. I think he might be the surprise this year, [*]We are moving Philips to the slot. At 5'11" 179 lbs he is a quick scat back not a power runner. They want him in space and he can catch the ball. More importantly, I think you will see him in sweeps and yes, the dreaded screen pass. With Lester, I think you will see more tunnel screens and classic delays. [*]We really only have Estime that that can stretch the field but how many do you really need when you are only trying to keep them honest? [*]A healthy Hunt in a heavy offense probably works better than Hunt in a spread. If they play man against him he will get very big rushing numbers. Everything above indicate to me that the best utilization of our talent is to play like BC. We can have winning season, go bowling and Shafer can save his job and give him a chance to continue building something.
I just don't see us being effective in a power run game. I think of the front 7 of opposing teams and I cringe. We may get there eventually.

Yep...I'll never forget that you're all about style over substance.

As long as we win, I'd take Stanford's...or Alabama's...or Michigan St's ...or BC's style offense all day long. Hell, give me the triple option if that's what it takes to win!

For the record, winning isn't ugly but attempting to run an offense that doesn't fit your personnel is. Hopefully next year's offensive scheme looks a lot like Nassib's senior season. And maybe, just maybe we'll even use the middle of the field once in a while. McDonald was a complete and utter disaster as OC.

Give it time.
I am not depressed although the last decade of SU football is enough to depress even the most diehard fan. Just musing about the current state of affairs. Haven't said we can have a winning season and go bowling but I simply don;t think we are returning to a 2012 offense any time soon. That was fun.

Yep...I'll never forget that you're all about style over substance.

As long as we win, I'd take Stanford's...or Alabama's...or Michigan St's ...or BC's style offense all day long. Hell, give me the triple option if that's what it takes to win!

For the record, winning isn't ugly but attempting to run an offense that doesn't fit your personnel is. Hopefully next year's offensive scheme looks a lot like Nassib's senior season. And maybe, just maybe we'll even use the middle of the field once in a while. McDonald was a complete and utter disaster as OC.
No Nassib - no 2012 offensive scheme.