Biggest takeaway from the first three games | Syracusefan.com

Biggest takeaway from the first three games

OrangeFoo

All American
The only team that can stop our offense is our own offense. From what I can tell is if we don't make mistakes we're going to score points... the other teams we've played have shown that there is very little they can do to stop us if we play mistake free football. Even over the weekend if we had scored on that drive where Estime got the PI for nailing someone 10 yards behind the play I bet the story would have been entirely different. Louisville shut down Florida St. but we put up 28 on them and probably could have put up more with a QB who didn't panic as much when blitzed.

I don't know about you all but I prefer this to knowing that our D has to pitch a shutout or we're probably going to lose. Of course now it feels like we have to bat 1.000 on offense or we're screwed but I'll take it after 15 years of the opposite (with the exception of one year). Again this is after 3 games into season 1.

I get it... football has three stages and you can't be inept at D but I'm willing to wait it out given what I have seen from the O. My only question is whether there is a way to slow down our pace if we're up big to give us a chance but if the answer is no I'll take it with this O.

The only team that can stop our offense is our own offense. From what I can tell is if we don't make mistakes we're going to score points... the other teams we've played have shown that there is very little they can do to stop us if we play mistake free football. Even over the weekend if we had scored on that drive where Estime got the PI for nailing someone 10 yards behind the play I bet the story would have been entirely different. Louisville shut down Florida St. but we put up 28 on them and probably could have put up more with a QB who didn't panic as much when blitzed.

I don't know about you all but I prefer this to knowing that our D has to pitch a shutout or we're probably going to lose. Of course now it feels like we have to bat 1.000 on offense or we're screwed but I'll take it after 15 years of the opposite (with the exception of one year). Again this is after 3 games into season 1.

I get it... football has three stages and you can't be inept at D but I'm willing to wait it out given what I have seen from the O. My only question is whether there is a way to slow down our pace if we're up big to give us a chance but if the answer is no I'll take it with this O.

I think we are really close to breaking out scoring wise. We are roughly 1 yard per play from Baylor's output. Currently, we are in the 80's in YPP. They are in the mid 40's.

Need to improve on the little things and fix mistakes. Scoring will come.

I agree but as the game progressed on Saturday I felt less and less confident then I have the past 2 games. My point is...not that I don't have confidence in this offense but what I saw was rather a slugglish second half even though there were some nice numbers and plays. It is by far light years ahead of the previous O but it just seemed to me the O was kind of gassed or frustrated or whatever and not as smooth as they were earlier. Could be that USF made their adjustments and the O couldn't quite get the reads/plays they needed/wanted because of this being only the 3rd game in the system but to your point...it does feel nice to have an O that gives you confidence they can make things happen, in a good way.

I think we blow out UCONN and stem the tide for a week. My concern - and I'm sure it's been discussed - is that the pace seems to be having a bigger negative impact on us rather than the opponent. Obviously depth plays a role there, but the fatigue is leading to mental mistakes that are resulting in bad outcomes for us.

I think we blow out UCONN and stem the tide for a week. My concern - and I'm sure it's been discussed - is that the pace seems to be having a bigger negative impact on us rather than the opponent. Obviously depth plays a role there, but the fatigue is leading to mental mistakes that are resulting in bad outcomes for us.

It had the desired effect on Louisville. If not for the cramping, I think we might have scored an extra TD or two.

Vs USF - we had untimely injuries (our guys) , penalties, and stalled drives in the 2nd half. They hockey-lined their D line. Plus they were giving us the run and we needed the pass.

Too early to tell, but I think this system doesn't do well down a lot of points 21+ (most offenses dont).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom