Biletnikoff award | Syracusefan.com

Biletnikoff award

Grabberorang

Taco and portal enthusiast
Would be huge for the program if AET won this. He definitely has a nice highlight reel to make his case. Could make huge strides with recruits having a player the first year with Dino win it..

Grabberorang said:
Would be huge for the program if AET won this. He definitely has a nice highlight reel to make his case. Could make huge strides with recruits having a player the first year with Dino win it..

He better damn well be at the awards ceremony as a finalist or the system needs to be blown up

He better damn well be at the awards ceremony as a finalist or the system needs to be blown up

Why? It's an award for the best receiver, not necessarily the most productive receiver. At some point, the awards' voters are going to have to start reconciling talent vs. system. The top four receivers in terms of yards nationally play for Louisiana Tech (x2), Syracuse and Western Kentucky.

Trent Taylor

this guy has some heckuva stats

Why? It's an award for the best receiver, not necessarily the most productive receiver. At some point, the awards' voters are going to have to start reconciling talent vs. system. The top four receivers in terms of yards nationally play for Louisiana Tech (x2), Syracuse and Western Kentucky.

Don't buy it. How can you separate system from talent?

In this case, he has tons of footage of him running every route in the tree and beating defenders, sometimes multiple, for TDs. It's not him catching balls in wide open spaces. He's making the plays.

In this case, he has tons of footage of him running every route in the tree and beating defenders, sometimes multiple, for TDs. It's not him catching balls in wide open spaces. He's making the plays.

NFL scouts seem to be able to do it.

I think it is great the season he is having. He has filled a big void and has made some outstanding plays. But he is also a 3-star recruit who, until this year, was never even the best receiver on his own team. Louisville, Notre Dame, UConn and Va Tech all had kids just as talented (if not more so) playing wide receiver for them. The same for Clemson and FSU. I don't even put him above Mike Williams or Alec Lemon from a talent standpoint. That does not scream Biletnikoff award to me.

If he is up for consideration, I think that is great for both him and the program. I just don't think he is a lock or if he is not selected as a finalist, it is some kind of tragedy.

Disagree but understand your position. This argument has been happening in baseball for MVP the last 50 years...this turns into a "what's the definition of MVP" type of conversation for those doing the selecting...not all people define things exactly the same way or apply a definition exactly the same...

Shrmdougluvr said:

Why? Because teams know he is our main option and he is still putting up huge numbers. Im not saying he is or should win it but he should be included

If his season continues the way it has gone so far I don't see why he shouldn't be a finalist for the Beletnikoff. The numbers speak for themselves. He's made some fantastic catches this year, just look at this past weekend. System or no system I think he's shown alot of talent, skill and toughness this year and deserves the accolades. Here's to it continuing.

Teams are actively double teaming him and have been trying to phase him out of our offensive plan since the louisville game.

He's physically dominated. I think he's at the very least a top 10 competitor for this trophy right now. He's succeeding despite the competitions best efforts.

One difference between AET and those guys are the competition he is doing it against. Must be factored in. I haven't looked at LTU and WKU schedules, but I'm pretty confident ours has included tougher defenses on average.

But he is also a 3-star recruit who, until this year, was never even the best receiver on his own team.

If this is even part of the consideration for the award, then it's already flawed. It doesn't matter what his star ranking was or how his previous coach perceived him. It should be entirely based on his body of work for that particular season.

That's as asinine as determining who plays in the National Championship game based on how they are ranked before the season..... oh, wait. That used to happen.

I think it is great the season he is having. He has filled a big void and has made some outstanding plays. But he is also a 3-star recruit who, until this year, was never even the best receiver on his own team. Louisville, Notre Dame, UConn and Va Tech all had kids just as talented (if not more so) playing wide receiver for them. The same for Clemson and FSU. I don't even put him above Mike Williams or Alec Lemon from a talent standpoint. That does not scream Biletnikoff award to me.

If he is up for consideration, I think that is great for both him and the program. I just don't think he is a lock or if he is not selected as a finalist, it is some kind of tragedy.

I was a huge alec lemon fan but its nonsense to say lemon is more talented than aet

No offense to Lemon, but he couldn't and didn't do what this guy does. He's bigger, faster, and breaks more tackles. I'm a Lemon fan too.

I think you misunderstood my position a bit. I actually think Amba has a ton of talent. Just watch him. He routinely beats the CB, catches the 50/50 ball, and then out races the defenders to the TD. I don't think he should be thought less of because he plays in a favorable system.

His star rating means diddly squat. I'm not sure what criteria they use, but I'm confident his HS production means nothing. I'm not sure his pro potential should mean anything either, honestly. I think it's a "best WR this year" award, so throw out the MD stuff too.

What's left? TDs, yards, and highlight reels.

Are you really asking that question when you've been such a huge proponent of this system and countless people have said that this system puts us ahead of peer programs and allows us to compete with teams that have more talent?

Guys like Calvin Johnson and Marvin Harrison played in run heavy systems and it was clear they were better than most of the guys that put up better numbers. 7 guys had more yards than Johnson when he won the Biletnikoff.

Should he be considered because of his numbers? Absolutely. Is the system broken if he isn't a finalist? No.

Recruit star level means squat when your the leading receiver in the NCAA...

(I believe in the star system) but once your kicking butt in college it's irrelevant what you were.

He is a stud, and NFL starter at some point. The guy has it all. Great route running, hands, size, and speed. No disrespect to Lemon, but they aren't in the same class.

AET's biggest problem is receiving TDs. He has 7. There are 12 receivers with more out there right now. I think he is going to need to get double figures for TDs to get serious consideration.

But many of his competitors are from non P5 schools, so maybe he will get a boost there.

Hope so. He has had a remarkable season. Maryland fans must be in shock.

Check out these numbers:

Maryland single season receiving records:

receptions : 77
receiving yard: 1240
receiving TDs: 12

AET (through 8 games):

receptions : 66
receiving yard: 1074
receiving TDs: 7

Are you really asking that question when you've been such a huge proponent of this system and countless people have said that this system puts us ahead of peer programs and allows us to compete with teams that have more talent?

Guys like Calvin Johnson and Marvin Harrison played in run heavy systems and it was clear they were better than most of the guys that put up better numbers. 7 guys had more yards than Johnson when he won the Biletnikoff.

Should he be considered because of his numbers? Absolutely. Is the system broken if he isn't a finalist? No.

Meh.

My point is that it would be one thing if he was wide open due to the system. He gets one on one coverage due to the system and the EATS the defender whole, over and over again. Talent PLUS system.

It's not just his numbers that are getting him consideration.

I think it's crazy talk to try to separate a guy from the system or attribute it to system over talent. We have film. His production is real.

"If Calvin Johnson played in a pass first offense" shouldn't be considered. That's a fairy tale. You evaluate the film and production on the field. The. End.

It was cool hearing the announcer in the BC game call him the #1 receiver in America... don't know if it's stats or perception but I definitely heard him say it. It's been a while since an announcer said we have the best anything other than maybe mascot or bbq.

This is an interesting year as I this is the first year in a long time that I can't think of any truly dominant receivers who have a brand already built. If you look at the watch list it's pretty much a who is this dude type of list... 2016 Biletnikoff Award Watch List « Biletnikoff Award

looking back on previous years the winner is someone you could name before the season started: Fred Biletnikoff Award - Wikipedia

I think our man has a shot.

Meh.

My point is that it would be one thing if he was wide open due to the system. He gets one on one coverage due to the system and the EATS the defender whole, over and over again. Talent PLUS system.

It's not just his numbers that are getting him consideration.

I think it's crazy talk to try to separate a guy from the system or attribute it to system over talent. We have film. His production is real.

"If Calvin Johnson played in a pass first offense" shouldn't be considered. That's a fairy tale. You evaluate the film and production on the field. The. End.
Right. Have you seen film on all of the other receivers in order to say he's definitely better? The comment earlier (not by you but by another person) was that if he's not a finalist that there is something wrong with the system. That simply isn't true. His numbers put him in the conversation and then you have to dig beyond them. That includes trying to determine how much the system did to make his numbers that good. Is there an aspect of subjectivity to it? Yeah. There is with all of these awards. Nobody plays the exact same schedule in the exact same weather with the exact same supporting cast in the exact same system. All of that needs to be considered.

I'm not sure what the Calvin Johnson quote is supposed to mean. What I meant was the fact that he didn't play in a pass first offense was used to explain why he was the best despite inferior numbers to other people.

Last edited:
Right. Have you seen film on all of the other receivers in order to say he's definitely better? The comment earlier (not by you but by another person) was that if he's not a finalist that there is something wrong with the system. That simply isn't true. His numbers put him in the conversation and then you have to dig beyond them. That includes trying to determine how much the system did to make his numbers that good. Is there an aspect of subjectivity to it? Yeah. There is with all of these awards. Nobody plays the exact same schedule in the exact same weather with the exact same supporting cast in the exact same system. All of that needs to be considered.

I'm not sure what the Calvin Johnson quote is supposed to mean. What I meant was the fact that he didn't play in a pass first offense was used to explain why he was the best despite inferior numbers to other people.
Plays like the one against BC, where the BC player had a hold of 1 arm, yet he caught the ball one handed, shook off the defender for a TD, put him in the running.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom