Class of 2017 - PF Billy Preston (VA) to Kansas | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PF Billy Preston (VA) to Kansas

Just like Duval, when Duke and UK have no interest in a top 10 recruit, then you know something is up.

As JB is visiting, may be more than a name drop. Not sure it means we have a legit shot, but seems clearly interested. Possible JB is willing to take the qualifying risk for a 'ship, given he may be giving out 6 or 7 this year...

As JB is visiting, may be more than a name drop. Not sure it means we have a legit shot, but seems clearly interested. Possible JB is willing to take the qualifying risk for a 'ship, given he may be giving out 6 or 7 this year...
JB also took several visits to NC to visit Harry Giles who always name dropped SU, when we had no chance of getting him. Nothing wrong with JB checking him out and doing his due diligence because anything is possible. I would just be shocked if we were in this for the long haul, much less even getting him.

JB also took several visits to NC to visit Harry Giles who always name dropped SU, when we had no chance of getting him. Nothing wrong with JB checking him out and doing his due diligence because anything is possible. I would just be shocked if we were in this for the long haul, much less even getting him.

But we are in a unique situation this recruiting cycle. We have so many open scholarships and so many starters leaving, that we would have little to lose by going the distance with Preston. He'll be a late signee. He may not be eligible. But recruiting him won't stop us from getting anyone else, and we can afford to wait on him as our potential 6th or 7th player in the class. Seems like a low risk high reward situation.

Whitey23 said:
Where to start? In recent years, SU has had 4 players from Oak Hill: Billy Edelin, Carmelo Anthony, Eric Devendorf and Baye Moussa Keita.

Edelin and Anthony were from Baltimore, which is south of the Mason-Dixon Line and certainly not from the Northeast.

Devendorf was from Bay CIty Michigan. Again, not from the Northeast.

BMK was from Senegal. Senegal is in Africa. Again, not from the Northeast. So his claim that all the players SU took from Oak Hill are from the Northeast is just wrong.

He also says SU has taken three players from outside the Northeast in the past 10 years, and 2 left the team.

One is surely Ron Patterson. Another is surely Deshonte Riley. He missed Sean Williams, who also transferred. Maybe Fab Melo is the one player from outside the Northeast who did not transfer out. There is also the already mentioned Eric Devendorf. Arinze Onuaku was from VIrginia. You have to count him. And I think you have to consider Mike Gbinjie,Wes Johnson and Kristof too (transfers). Virginia, Texas and Belgium are not located in the Northeast US. Andrew White, another Virginian, joins them now.

So his facts are basically all wrong...

Where to start? In recent years, SU has had 4 players from Oak Hill: Billy Edelin, Carmelo Anthony, Eric Devendorf and Baye Moussa Keita.

Edelin and Anthony were from Baltimore, which is south of the Mason-Dixon Line and certainly not from the Northeast.

Devendorf was from Bay CIty Michigan. Again, not from the Northeast.

BMK was from Senegal. Senegal is in Africa. Again, not from the Northeast. So his claim that all the players SU took from Oak Hill are from the Northeast is just wrong.

He also says SU has taken three players from outside the Northeast in the past 10 years, and 2 left the team.

One is surely Ron Patterson. Another is surely Deshonte Riley. He missed Sean Williams, who also transferred. Maybe Fab Melo is the one player from outside the Northeast who did not transfer out. There is also the already mentioned Eric Devendorf. Arinze Onuaku was from VIrginia. You have to count him. And I think you have to consider Mike Gbinjie,Wes Johnson and Kristof too (transfers). Virginia, Texas and Belgium are not located in the Northeast US. Andrew White, another Virginian, joins them now.

So his facts are basically all wrong...
Didn't Dayshawn Wright go to Oak Hill one year, as well?

orangefog said:
Didn't Dayshawn Wright go to Oak Hill one year, as well?
He did. Good catch. So he was right for one out of five...

I get that the guy is wrong about his facts but Baltimore not being a northeast city is a pretty hard sell IMO. Maybe to people in the NE, maybe, but definitely not to anyone who isn't. Geographically is 100% NE. Philly is only about 80min by car on 95. Its 45min to PA from Baltimore. Its not far from the Atlantic Ocean.
Billy Edelin was from Silver Springs if memory serves which is close to Bmore but closer to DC.

Last edited:
JB's visit to Oak Hill could be another opportunity to see Matt Coleman as well as Preston.

I get that the guy is wrong about his facts but Baltimore not being a northeast city is a pretty hard sell IMO. Maybe to people in the NE, maybe, but definitely not to anyone who isn't. Geographically is 100% NE. Philly is only about 80min by car on 95. Its 45min to PA from Baltimore. Its not far from the Atlantic Ocean.
Billy Edelin was from Silver Springs if memory serves which is close to Bmore but closer to DC.
Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon line. Maryland fought for the South in the Civil War. Much respect to you jordoo but I don't know how you can consider a state like that part of the Northeast.

I will agree it is not far from the Atlantic Ocean. So is Florida and England and Senegal in Africa. Not of those places are in the Northeast US either.

Last edited:
Maryland is below the Mason-Dixon line. Maryland fought for the South in the Civil War. No one with any knowledge of American geography considers Southern states part of the Northeast.

I will agree it is not far from the Atlantic Ocean. So is Florida and England and Senegal in Africa. Not of those places are in the Northeast US either.

Just bellow the Mason-Dixon line and that's why I say people in the NE might not consider it a NE city but the rest of the country does. Its certainly in the east as is Florida but its also more north than it is south.

The below from Wiki.

The Northeast megalopolis (also Boston–Washington Corridor or Bos-Wash Corridor) is the most heavily urbanized region of the United States, running primarily northeast to southwest from the northern suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts, to the southern suburbs of Washington, D.C., in Northern Virginia.[2] It includes the major cities of Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C., along with their metropolitan areas and suburbs as well as many smaller urban centers.

On a map, the Northeast megalopolis appears almost as a straight line. As of the year 2000, the region contained 49.6 million people, about 17% of the U.S. population on less than 2% of the nation's land area, with a population density of 931.3 people per square mile (359.6 people/km2), compared to the U.S. average of 80.5 per square mile 2[3] (31 people/km2). America 2050 projections expect the area to grow to 58.1 million people by 2025.[4][5]

French geographer Jean Gottmann popularized the term in his landmark 1961 study of the region, Megalopolis: The Urbanized Northeastern Seaboard of the United States. Gottmann concluded that the region's cities, while discrete and independent, are uniquely tied to each other through the intermeshing of their suburban zones, taking on some characteristics of a single, massive city: a megalopolis.

While at one time certainly Civil War time and even after that you are correct that MD, DE, WV, DC were not considered NE they generally are now. Its not Civil War times, the whole country is now populated and Baltimore is a major city in the Northeast.

Just bellow the Mason-Dixon line and that's why I say people in the NE might not consider it a NE city but the rest of the country does. Its certainly in the east as is Florida but its also more north than it is south.

The below from Wiki.

The Northeast megalopolis (also Boston–Washington Corridor or Bos-Wash Corridor) is the most heavily urbanized region of the United States, running primarily northeast to southwest from the northern suburbs of Boston, Massachusetts, to the southern suburbs of Washington, D.C., in Northern Virginia.[2] It includes the major cities of Boston, New York City, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C., along with their metropolitan areas and suburbs as well as many smaller urban centers.

On a map, the Northeast megalopolis appears almost as a straight line. As of the year 2000, the region contained 49.6 million people, about 17% of the U.S. population on less than 2% of the nation's land area, with a population density of 931.3 people per square mile (359.6 people/km2), compared to the U.S. average of 80.5 per square mile 2[3] (31 people/km2). America 2050 projections expect the area to grow to 58.1 million people by 2025.[4][5]

French geographer Jean Gottmann popularized the term in his landmark 1961 study of the region, Megalopolis: The Urbanized Northeastern Seaboard of the United States. Gottmann concluded that the region's cities, while discrete and independent, are uniquely tied to each other through the intermeshing of their suburban zones, taking on some characteristics of a single, massive city: a megalopolis.

While at one time certainly Civil War time and even after that you are correct that MD, DE, WV, DC were not considered NE they generally are now. Its not Civil War times, the whole country is now populated and Baltimore is a major city in the Northeast.
I consider those mid Atlantic. Not even close to northeast.

I consider those mid Atlantic. Not even close to northeast.

How does that help moving forward? Separatism isn't the answer. Baltimore is a north east major metro city. Look at the map. You guys are limiting the NE to like the original colonies, can we not move on?

How does that help moving forward? Separatism isn't the answer. Baltinore is a north east major metro city. Look at the map. You guys are limiting the NE to like the original colonies, can we not move on?
Maryland was an original colony.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom