Blood from a stone | Syracusefan.com

Blood from a stone

RF2044

Living Legend
This is probably going to ring somewhat hollow for some, but I'm proud of this team and proud of the coaching staff this year. We've suffered massive attrition losses for several years in a row, losing tons of scoring and multiple key players every season and have somehow managed to reload, but this year it finally caught up with us. If we had either Ennis [preferably] or Grant back, it would be a different story.

I think back to how inept offensively we were at the beginning of the year, and not like this team is going to conjure images of the 09-10 squad, but they've come a LONG way. Kudos to the coaching staff for introducing a wrinkle that had the initiation of our offensive sets flow thorugh our small forward.

I'm very encouraged by the development / emergence of both Cooney and Gbinije. Those guys are poised for big senior years.

Roberson and Joseph are getting an infusion of heavy minutes this year that will help accelerate each player's developmental curve.

And most of all, I'm shocked, surprised, and awed by the staggering improvement that Rakim Christmas has shown. This kid deserves a standing ovation for playing himself into potential first round draft contention.

Ultimately, there just isn't enough gas, scoring pop, or depth in the tank for this team to go far. We are a lot closer than people realize--but came an eyelash short. Losses like Clemson / Miami / Villanova are games that a team with a razor thin margin for NCAA contention couldn't afford to drop. And while I don't want to give up and proclaim that the season is over--after all, if we go on to beat UNC / Duke / Louisville, unlikely as that would be, we'd be back on track--but it basically is.

From the beginning, this has felt like a wasted year. Too much stuff to overcome, too many issues to overcome, too many injuries depleting the team, etc. I commend our coaching staff and players for coming close to maximizing this group's potential this year, even though the results aren't what we're accustomed to. Not happy about the final results [which admittedly are still being written], but I'm pleased with the effort. I know that someone is going to read this post and get on my case about "accepting mediocrity," but I think such a reaction misses the point--you can't get blood from a stone, and this team is maxing out their capabilities.

Bring on the sanctions. The sooner the better, as I'd hate for the NCAA to balk at the prospect of us applying any prospective ban this year.

Last edited:
I will say if we had Grant and Ennis on this team, I think we are ranked #2 or 3 at worst.

But the play on Sat was a catch and shoot. (just being funny)

Yep, we are likely undefeated with those two guys.

Watching jerian last night just pissed me off. Jerami would have been a MONSTER for us.

I will say if we had Grant and Ennis on this team, I think we are ranked #2 or 3 at worst

Wow, you think one of those guys is the difference between being in the NIT (in all likelihood) and a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney? ATL, I feel like you usually aren't one for hyperbole.

This is probably going to ring somewhat hollow for some, but I'm proud of this team and proud of the coaching staff this year. We've suffered massive attrition losses for several years in a row, losing tons of scoring and multiple key players every season and have somehow managed to reload, but this year it finally caught up with us. If we had either Ennis [preferably] or Grant back, it would be a different story.

I think back to how inept offensively we were at the beginning of the year, and not like this team is going to conjure images of the 09-10 squad, but they've come a LONG way. Kudos to the coaching staff for introducing a wrinkle that had the initiation of our offensive sets flow thorugh our small forward.

I'm very encouraged by the development / emergence of both Cooney and Gbinije. Those guys are poised for big senior years.

Roberson and Joseph are getting an infusion of heavy minutes this year that will help accelerate each player's developmental curve.

And most of all, I'm shocked, surprised, and awed by the staggering improvement that Rakim Christmas has shown. This kid deserves a standing ovation for playing himself into potential first round draft contention.

Ultimately, there just isn't enough gas, scoring pop, or depth in the tank for this team to go far. We are a lot closer than people realize--but came an eyelash short. Losses like Clemson / Miami / Villanova are games that a team with a razor thin margin for NCAA contention couldn't afford to drop. And while I don't want to give up and proclaim that the season is over--after all, if we go on to beat UNC / Duke / Louisville, unlikely as that would be, we'd be back on track--but it basically is.

From the beginning, this has felt like a wasted year. Too much stuff to overcome, too many issues to overcome, too many injuries depleting the team, etc. I commend our coaching staff and players for coming close to maximizing this group's potential this year, even though the results aren't what we're accustomed to. Not happy about the final results [which admittedly are still being written], but I'm pleased with the effort. I know that someone is going to read this post and get on my case about "accepting mediocrity," but I think such a reaction misses the point--you can't get blood from a stone, and this team is maxing out their capabilities.

Bring on the sanctions. The sooner the better, as I'd hate for the NCAA to balk at the prospect of us applying any prospective ban this year.

As you said Ennis (preferably) I made a thread last night about basically being a lead guard away from being right there in the mix. We really are that close and all our pieces look much better with an experienced lead guard who knows what he is doing. Not at all a knock on Kaleb. I'm generally happy with Kaleb's progression so far he's just not there yet. I'd love to see him play more ballsy down the stretch as we have nothing to lose and he's got to become assertive at some point.

Agreed in general the staff and players have done a great job when you consider we have no Ennis, Grant, Coleman or McCulough.

Great post. Ultimately when the top programs like ours lose players year after year, some expected and some unexpectedly, it's going to catch up to you occasionally.

Wow, you think one of those guys is the difference between being in the NIT (in all likelihood) and a #1 seed in the NCAA tourney? ATL, I feel like you usually aren't one for hyperbole.

Ennis likely is especially had we not lost Chris. Look at our losses, everyone other than Cal where winnable games coming down the stretch that we botched plus we are much less likely to have long draughts with Ennis as the lead guard. Cal game is also different with a leader at PG because that's where they killed us in the backcourt. College bball is so bunched up that one player can make that much of a difference.

plus we are much less likely to have long draughts with Ennis as the lead guard.

Over the home stretch of last season, long scoring draughts were very common for us with Ennis. Obviously he would have improved as a sophomore, and this is completely subjective, but I think with Ennis this team would probably be ranked somewhere in the 20-25 range.

I just can't see any one player short of a generational college talent like Melo or Durant being able to impact a team that significantly.

A healthy McC would have really helped too - he would've had some nice games for us; just too talented to keep struggling. That said, I realize your focus is on the attrition and I concur with your overarching assessment.

Over the home stretch of last season, long scoring draughts were very common for us with Ennis. Obviously he would have improved as a sophomore, and this is completely subjective, but I think with Ennis this team would probably be ranked somewhere in the 20-25 range.

I just can't see any one player short of a generational college talent like Melo or Durant being able to impact a team that significantly.

Even if I say we still lose the Cal game, imagine all of our other losses with Ennis in there late rather than Kaleb or Buss. What about the horrible starts we have gotten off to in most halves, would they be as bad? Add Ennis to this team that has an established post player like Rakeem and a wing forward like Mike (which we didn't really have last year) and I think the offense comes on line far earlier in the season that it took plus we are in control late in the game against Mich, St. John's, Nova ect

I can't tell if you are kidding... Im the king of hyperbole.

But anyway, BOTH of them and this team and rocking and rolling.

I agree with the OP. I am not too concerned about the remainder of the W-L results. With the progress Roberson is making plus the emergence of Mike G, this team could be incredibly good next year. I just want them to avoid being embarrassed in some of the bigger games coming up. I could see us surprising one of the big dogs on our remaining schedule but we also have a very real chance of seeing the longest losing streak in Boeheim's career. Even a good team could finish our reg season schedule with an 0-7 skid - add into our challenges the zero depth and every guy basically 40 minutes and by the middle of that ending stretch our guys will be burned out hulks.

The rest of the way, the team needs to focus on player development, showcasing Rakeem to maximize his NBA draft stock (because he deserves that) and staying injury free.
And the fans need to focus on staying true to our team and not going completely mental - the coming stretch (on court and off court) is going to be possibly the most difficult time in Syracuse fandom's modern age. I'd prefer we stick together instead of cannibalizing ourselves.

Well then, it was the best compliment I've ever had. Thank you!
The... the hyperbole captured here is just... too much. Hyperbolic loop-like play on words. Well played, sir.

Great post RF. It is remarkable to me that we have been in these games minus Clemson. With zero margin for error we almost pulled off some good wins. I just don't know if the current group of players aside from Rak are more than just role players. I also am not completely sold on some posters' take on how Ennis and Grant back would be huge difference makers. They had some serious flaws in their game also although they would likely have improved heading into this season. The offense was a disaster mid February on last season. Who knows if the offense would've improved this season with those guys. Probably some because of Rak's dominance this year. Not sure generally if that is a schematic or personnel issue re: the offense. Probably both.

Are you still as high on BJ as you were early in the season? I wonder if he will stick it out here moving forward for years to come.

Last edited:
Are you still as high on BJ as you were early in the season? I wonder if he will stick it out here moving forward for years to come.
I was pretty high on BJ also. In fact I believe I made the statement that "BJ will one day be Syracuse's leading scorer for a season." I said it and I own it. Not to sure I believe it anymore. But I don't think it has anything to do with his weight as some do. I don't know what the issue is other than for some reason his shooting ability has not translated into in game production. The fact that in a season in which SU has the least amount of depth ever, when he is the only forward on the bench, he still can not get consistent (any) PT. Right now he is no more than an offensive/defensive rotation substitute with Obokoh in case of foul trouble to Christmas late in games.

Great post RF. It is remarkable to me that we have been in these games minus Clemson. With zero margin for error we almost pulled off some good wins. I just don't know if the current group of players aside from Rak are more than just role players. I also am not completely sold on some posters' take on how Ennis and Grant back would be huge difference makers. They had some serious flaws in their game also although they would likely have improved heading into this season. The offense was a disaster mid February on last season. Who knows if the offense would've improved this season with those guys. Probably some because of Rak's dominance this year. Not sure generally if that is a schematic or personnel issue re: the offense. Probably both.

No. And I was probably higher on BJ's potential than anyone. Kid is long and athletic, with lots of versatility. The type of kid who generally thrives in our system, with his versatility and ability to shoot. Like cuseincincy, I made a similar prediction about him being a future scoring leader.

I'm really baffled about his offensive struggles. I've seen him make shots, and know he can do it. But something just isn't connecting. We're desperate for frontcourt depth, and this kid can't even get onto the floor. And when he does, he cranks up a shot the first touch, and just looks generally uncomfortable out there--which doesn't help things.

Last edited:
I was pretty high on BJ also. In fact I believe I made the statement that "BJ will one day be Syracuse's leading scorer for a season." I said it and I own it. Not to sure I believe it anymore. But I don't think it has anything to do with his weight as some do. I don't know what the issue is other than for some reason his shooting ability has not translated into in game production. The fact that in a season in which SU has the least amount of depth ever, when he is the only forward on the bench, he still can not get consistent (any) PT. Right now he is no more than an offensive/defensive rotation substitute with Obokoh in case of foul trouble to Christmas late in games.

Agreed. The weight issue is a small piece of it. He looks like a fluid athlete but that is about it. He and Joseph still have that brain racing a mile a minute/deer in headlights demeanor.

Agreed. The weight issue is a small piece of it. He looks like a fluid athlete but that is about it. He and Joseph still have that brain racing a mile a minute/deer in headlights demeanor.

Really, really wish that he'd redshirted. I agree that weight isn't the main factor, but he is so young for his grade and so slender, there is no doubt that the additional physical maturity wouldn't be a bad thing.

My fear is that he'll decide to bail after this year, and then we'll see him play at one of the Big 5 schools like St. Joe's or Drexel, where he'll post a stat line like 15 ppg / 7 rpg / 4 apg, while shooting 37% from three. I could totally see that happen.

Really, really wish that he'd redshirted. I agree that weight isn't the main factor, but he is so young for his grade and so slender, there is no doubt that the additional physical maturity wouldn't be a bad thing.

My fear is that he'll decide to bail after this year, and then we'll see him play at one of the Big 5 schools like St. Joe's or Drexel, where he'll post a stat line like 15 ppg / 7 rpg / 4 apg, while shooting 37% from three. I could totally see that happen.

Yup. He reminds me of the potential of a poor man's DerMarr Johnson. A great athlete and long range shooter at Cincinnati for only one year if I remember correctly. I still see BJ as a 2 who could play the 3 in a pinch.

What really sealed it for me was in the BC late in the game when BJ came in, ball was inbounded or passed to him near the midcourt line and sideline. The BC player just went up to him and ripped the ball out of his hands like he was a little kid. BJ looked shocked and then promptly went back to sit down on the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom