Bobby Hurley is DePaul front-runner (ESPN) | Syracusefan.com

Bobby Hurley is DePaul front-runner (ESPN)

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Not a bad move...they are building a new arena real close to campus. You recruit Chicago and NJ/NY and get them to the NIT/NCAA and bolt for a Big Boy program in 2-4 years.

Reactions: cto
If Buffalo's roster seems poised for another tourney appearance (not sure what their roster looks like), and the conference is ripe for the taking, I'd stay put. Depaul is bleh despite their location - like a very poor man's St. Johns.

That being said, if Buffalo doesn't have much or needs to retool, I'd bolt.

DePaul is an awful job--has been for nearly two decades.

I get that he wants to climb the ladder, but might be better off not jumping at the first chance. He should consider Shaka Smart's example, and not go somewhere that could adversely impact his brand.

I get that he wants to climb the ladder, but might be better off not jumping at the first chance. He should consider Shaka Smart's example, and not go somewhere that could adversely impact his brand.

Exactly what I was thinking. Build the resume even more so he can take a better job than DePaul.

If Buffalo's roster seems poised for another tourney appearance (not sure what their roster looks like), and the conference is ripe for the taking, I'd stay put. Depaul is bleh despite their location - like a very poor man's St. Johns.

That being said, if Buffalo doesn't have much or needs to retool, I'd bolt.
UB returns 5 of their top 6 scorers including the key two in Moss and Evans. They should be better next year. If I were Hurley I'd stay put, have another big year and bolt for a much better program than freakin' DePaul. The St. John's job might be open soon.

UB returns 5 of their top 6 scorers including the key two in Moss and Evans. They should be better next year. If I were Hurley I'd stay put, have another big year and bolt for a much better program than freakin' DePaul. The St. John's job might be open soon.

If that's the case - I'm not leaving. If you have a shot at the tourney (and do a reasonably decent job next year - i.e. don't go all Mike Rice on these kids) a job the equivalent will be on the table again next year, and if you make the tourney again your name will continue to pick up even more steam. Depaul...I'm sticking with "bleh." (Whatever that means)

Good point. DePaul will most likely take a lot longer that 2-3 years to resurrect. The people who remember Ray Meyer don't have any more kids, LOL! And anyway, B2B tournament slots in freaking Buffalo will give him a far better angle with which to move up. I mean, lots of people have done it once. On the other hand, I like Chicago, maybe he does, too? :noidea:

Last edited:
Wonder if his brother will ever end up back at Seton Hall. That would be interesting.

Dan Monson's career went into the toilet after he bolted from Gonzaga to a crappy job in Minnesota

Perhaps Hurley is just trying to leverage an extension/raise? As people mentioned. Depaul is building a new arena and is willing to spend money. Right now Illinois isn't recruiting well, and there's a lot of talent in Chicago. I don't think Depaul is as bad as people are making it out to be-especially for someone who can recruit. Now, the question should be-is Hurley that good of a recruiter?

Someone mentioned Shaka and honestly if you were Depaul and wanted to recapture some buzz in a great basketball area, he'd be worth more than a phone call. Nothing would change the perception of that program faster than his style of play. For all the crap people give USC for hiring Enfield, I wonder what happens if USC gives him 5 years to get his recruits and his system in place out there.

From a program health standpoint that's a lateral move at best. I don't even know what conference DePaul is in anymore they're so irrelevant. Would be a foolish decision, imo.

Stay at UB for one more year then bolt for a job at a school with powerhouse potential.

The Syracuse job is coming open in 2-3 years. Sorry Hop , but no one has a crystal ball.

It looks like Bob Hurley can coach--no surprise given his basketball background, playing for his father and Coach K.

But, up to this point, he has been winning with, for the most part, players recruited by the previous coach.

While it's a sound idea to give a new coach who is stumbling 4-5 years to bring in his own recruits and establish his system, it's also a good idea to give a new coach who immediately succeeds the same length trial, to be sure that he's not just the beneficiary of very good timing.

We have seen a lot of 1 and 2-year wonders immediately flame out when they quickly jump to a higher profile program. Keno Davis comes to mind, and Enfield may be on his way.

It looks like Bob Hurley can coach--no surprise given his basketball background, playing for his father and Coach K.

But, up to this point, he has been winning with, for the most part, players recruited by the previous coach.

While it's a sound idea to give a new coach who is stumbling 4-5 years to bring in his own recruits and establish his system, it's also a good idea to give a new coach who immediately succeeds the same length trial, to be sure that he's not just the beneficiary of very good timing.

We have seen a lot of 1 and 2-year wonders immediately flame out when they quickly jump to a higher profile program. Keno Davis comes to mind, and Enfield may be on his way.

I would think that at Buffalo Hurley will have no problems bringing in a better caliber player than they are used to. That said you are correct in thinking it wise to see what he does with the guys he brings in.

Not a bad move...they are building a new arena real close to campus. You recruit Chicago and NJ/NY and get them to the NIT/NCAA and bolt for a Big Boy program in 2-4 years.
like Syracuse.

wait,what??

Great post! I never understood hiring those one year wonders that haven't shown they can sustain anything.

Should stay at ub. Mac player of the year returns. Shannon evans and monte bearden return. Ub could be a 25-28 win team.

Has a big time (for the MAC) recruiting class coming in too, a solid JUCO guy along with Torian Graham transferring in who was a top 100 guy. No brainer to stay and be a borderline top 25 team next year and move on to a bigger, easier job than the mess that DePaul is. Was talking to a friend about his options and just seems like the perfect guy for a BC or ND type job at a private, catholic school with some history & resources. Going to be interesting as to who is going to be Coach K's successor now with all his guys spreading around. Hurley, Dawkins, Collins, Woj, Capel looking like the favorite at Arizona St. Quin Snyder working miracles in Utah right now too but he's probably better off in the NBA given how Mizzou ended.

He can do a lot better than that, he has a good team coming back next year, get back to the tournament, perhaps win a game, and then cash in on a better job.