Boeheim & Football | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim & Football

Orangejet

Suds Peddlar
No need for JB to throw the football program under the bus with his comments. Another reason he should retire now and not in three years.
Can't recall a hoops or football coach ever doing should a thing.

Orangejet said:
No need for JB to throw the football program under the bus with his comments. Another reason he should retire now and not in three years. Can't recall a hoops or football coach ever doing should a thing.

Like he said, he loves the football program and has rarely missed a game. What he was pointing out was that the NCAA was not only inconsistent from school to school but also within a single school.

image.jpg

Like he said, he loves the football program and has rarely missed a game. What he was pointing out was that the NCAA was not only inconsistent from school to school but also within a single school.
Maybe I did miss the point while standing in line at Starbuck's listening to race relations talk by the baristas but the Cuse football team needs positive press and to lump them in to this discussion just wasn't right in my eyes...at this time. Just my opinion...

No need for JB to throw the football program under the bus with his comments. Another reason he should retire now and not in three years.
Can't recall a hoops or football coach ever doing should a thing.
He was asked a question. In general, he was asked why football didn't receive much of a penalty. He said he didn't know... have to ask the NCAA why similar infractions seemed to be treated differently. That's the problem with these types of things... the media asks him a question...one he would not have commented on had they not asked. He responds to the question. Then the media leads with "Boeheim says the NCAA should have punished football more"

Agree was annoying answer but he could said well they changed coaches and cleaned it up. He would never say that tho.

Agree was annoying answer but he could said well they changed coaches and cleaned it up. He would never say that tho.
That would not have been an answer to the question asked though I agree he could have avoided answering the question asked.

What he really meant to say was I see what you did there NCAA. Since Gump has no possibility of ever being a HC again at any college level, suspending him is akin to hanging a dead man.

Orangello said:
What he really meant to say was I see what you did there NCAA. Since Gump has no possibility of ever being a HC again at any college level, suspending him is akin to hanging a dead man.

Actually it started under P. I'm glad that when GRob eventually saw what was going on, he put an end to it.

Maybe I did miss the point while standing in line at Starbuck's listening to race relations talk by the baristas but the Cuse football team needs positive press and to lump them in to this discussion just wasn't right in my eyes...at this time. Just my opinion...
But why is the football program out of the discussion at all? They're on probation, too. They had more players involved with what was happening with the YMCA. Yet people seem to forget they're involved, because the punishment for basketball was so vastly worse.

That's Jim's point.

jekelish said:
But why is the football program out of the discussion at all? They're on probation, too. They had more players involved with what was happening with the YMCA. Yet people seem to forget they're involved, because the punishment for basketball was so vastly worse. That's Jim's point.

And he's right.

He later clarified that he doesn't want to see football punished. Just odd that one got punished harshly and the other one not at all.

I though Shafers comments earlier in the week seemed like a little jab at JB. When asked how you oversee your team, he said, "it's what you signed up for as a coach."

He was asked a question. In general, he was asked why football didn't receive much of a penalty. He said he didn't know... have to ask the NCAA why similar infractions seemed to be treated differently. That's the problem with these types of things... the media asks him a question...one he would not have commented on had they not asked. He responds to the question. Then the media leads with "Boeheim says the NCAA should have punished football more"
I think the football program has suffered enough...having a coach like grob set the program back a decade so that's like probation lol

I though Shafers comments earlier in the week seemed like a little jab at JB. When asked how you oversee your team, he said, "it's what you signed up for as a coach."
Yes -- and there is some truth in that. If you recruit an occasional at-risk kid (a 7 ft Brazilian, for example, with limited ability to do SU work), you have to oversee the efforts to encourage academic progress and the efforts that player is making with classwork. As head coach, you don't have to do it yourself -- but you hire good people, set the tone of integrity, and check how things are going at key points. Or, they get surprised when bad things happen in their programs, and get defensive.

Yes -- and there is some truth in that. If you recruit an occasional at-risk kid (a 7 ft Brazilian, for example, with limited ability to do SU work), you have to oversee the efforts to encourage academic progress and the efforts that player is making with classwork. As head coach, you don't have to do it yourself -- but you hire good people, set the tone of integrity, and check how things are going at key points. Or, they get surprised when bad things happen in their programs, and get defensive.

My impression was that that is what Boeheim did. Trust was at the heart of the issue here, IMHO. Guess Coach B was guilty of that---trust no one; you'll never be disappointed. Words to live by?

My impression was that that is what Boeheim did. Trust was at the heart of the issue here, IMHO. Guess Coach B was guilty of that---trust no one; you'll never be disappointed. Words to live by?
Well, and not getting into the weeds here, I expect the NCAA would say that just trusting an at-risk player to do his academic work, or just trusting your assistants and academic support within the b-ball program, is not enough. The head coach is expected to delegate, but be responsible for hiring well, delegating well, keeping in touch when appropriate, and all that goes with that. It is a lot to ask within the football program (85 players) but probably not within a basketball program.

Last edited:
Well, and not getting into the weeds here, I expect the NCAA would say that just trusting an at-risk player to do his academic work, or just trusting your assistants and academic support within the b-ball program, is not enough. The head coach is expected to delegate, but be responsible for hiring well, delegating well, keeping in touch when appropriate, and all that goes with that. It is a lot to ask within the football program (85 players) but probably not within a basketball program.