Boeheim | Syracusefan.com

Boeheim

We Are Syracuse

All Conference
When is his last year "supposed" to be with the 3-year type deal? Is it supposed to be next year? I hope not. I hope Boeheim coaches till he's 150 years old but I was just wondering

When is his last year "supposed" to be with the 3-year type deal? Is it supposed to be next year? I hope not. I hope Boeheim coaches till he's 150 years old but I was just wondering

17-18

I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year. I always suspected that he just said it was next year to avoid the farewell tour.
That is definitely possible. Since I just experienced The Long Good-Bye at my workplace, I can say that it is fairly excruciating. I don't know how Coach is going to do it.

I remember how hysterical my girlfriends and I were when it was time to leave for our various colleges. "This is the last time we'll eat at this A & W. This is the last time we'll drive on King Street. This is the last time we'll puke in Margy's driveway." For Boeheim: "The last time I will ever coach against Duke. The last time I will coach in the Dome. My last away game. My last tournament . . . ." Man, that would be rough! He may "impulsively" announce the summer of 2017 that he is not returning in the fall, but of course it was something his subconscious was mulling all along.

I wouldn't blame him a bit.

I think that a lot of it is going to depend on how well we do this year, both on the court and recruiting. I think if we do really well on the court (say a second straight final-four) he could easily call it quits. On the other hand, if we recruit really well, I think he's also more likely to call it quits. He's too proud of a man to leave behind an empty cupboard for his successor.

But then again, I could also see him coaching another 5-10 years just because. I think it says something about the man that we don't know what he'll do, but we feel pretty certain that it won't be what the world expects him to.

I'm not sure what to think anymore on this. I have heard him say numerous times that he thinks you should leave when you can't win anymore not when you are winning. I also wonder what affect the Mike Hopkins 9 games last year has on this whole thing. I know Boeheim says all the right things about it not being Mike's team and everything but he looked really uncomfortable in those press conferences and the team played terribly. I wonder if there are other people in the administration that were scared to death by that. I'm not saying Mike isn't going to get the job or anything but what if they waited a few more years. I know nothing and I'm just guessing.

I think that a lot of it is going to depend on how well we do this year, both on the court and recruiting. I think if we do really well on the court (say a second straight final-four) he could easily call it quits. On the other hand, if we recruit really well, I think he's also more likely to call it quits. He's too proud of a man to leave behind an empty cupboard for his successor.

But then again, I could also see him coaching another 5-10 years just because. I think it says something about the man that we don't know what he'll do, but we feel pretty certain that it won't be what the world expects him to.

The bare cupboard is certainly a concern. We are definitely losing 4 (Coleman, Roberson, White, Gillon), probably one more (Lydon) and possibly Battle if he has a good year. Not sure if wants to leave Hopkins with that kind of hole.

That is definitely possible. Since I just experienced The Long Good-Bye at my workplace, I can say that it is fairly excruciating. I don't know how Coach is going to do it.

I remember how hysterical my girlfriends and I were when it was time to leave for our various colleges. "This is the last time we'll eat at this A & W. This is the last time we'll drive on King Street. This is the last time we'll puke in Margy's driveway." For Boeheim: "The last time I will ever coach against Duke. The last time I will coach in the Dome. My last away game. My last tournament . . . ." Man, that would be rough! He may "impulsively" announce the summer of 2017 that he is not returning in the fall, but of course it was something his subconscious was mulling all along.

Ortiz is certainly milking it for all it's worth.

Originally I felt this would be his last season to avoid the retirement lap. The NCAA can't hold him to the "retirement plan" and he's made plenty of statements last season and the off season that make me think that plan was just more brilliant posturing and strategy by SU to get the NCAA off our arse. If this squad is as good as it appears to be and we bring in a highly touted class for 2017 I have a hard time seeing him walking away at this point. I hope he keeps coaching for as long as he has the competitive fire to do so. Sure you can squabble about his coaching and critique it but its almost impossible to replace him with a coach that is the same caliber. And that has nothing to do with Hopkins its just that JB is one of the best.

Originally I felt this would be his last season to avoid the retirement lap. The NCAA can't hold him to the "retirement plan" and he's made plenty of statements last season and the off season that make me think that plan was just more brilliant posturing and strategy by SU to get the NCAA off our arse. If this squad is as good as it appears to be and we bring in a highly touted class for 2017 I have a hard time seeing him walking away at this point. I hope he keeps coaching for as long as he has the competitive fire to do so. Sure you can squabble about his coaching and critique it but its almost impossible to replace him with a coach that is the same caliber. And that has nothing to do with Hopkins its just that JB is one of the best.
And he had a taste of retirement last season and it apparently didn't sit well with him. It wouldn't surprise me either way, but as long as he has the fire, I have a hard time believing that he will hang it up.

We've definitely been spoiled. It's unlikely that Hopkins will be here as long as Boeheim and have as much success. It's important to remember that that doesn't make Hopkins a bad coach - guys like Boeheim are extremely rare.

We've definitely been spoiled. It's unlikely that Hopkins will be here as long as Boeheim and have as much success. It's important to remember that that doesn't make Hopkins a bad coach - guys like Boeheim are extremely rare.

Well given that JB is entering season 41 and counting and Mike is already 46 years old; I think you can go to Vegas and bet the house that Hopkins won't be here as long as Boeheim.

Well given that JB is entering season 41 and counting and Mike is already 46 years old; I think you can go to Vegas and bet the house that Hopkins won't be here as long as Boeheim.
i was counting time as an assistant. :)

It's this year or next. The Chancellor made this call and I'd be shocked if it changes. So folks, enjoy this year because JAB says we're better than we've been in a while!

JB put this team together like an NBA GM. It will be fun to watch these players come together.

It's this year or next. The Chancellor made this call and I'd be shocked if it changes. So folks, enjoy this year because JAB says we're better than we've been in a while!
I'm not arguing just trying to understand. Are you saying the Chancellor made the decision Boeheim was leaving after next season and if he wanted to stay past that it wouldn't be allowed?

The University made a public announcement Coach Hop will be the head 2018-19 season:

Syracuse officials announce that Mike Hopkins will succeed Jim Boeheim in 3 years

I would love JB to live forever but I really think this is carved in stone. I doubt very much the University will not honor contract with coach Hop.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is his last year. I always suspected that he just said it was next year to avoid the farewell tour.

That's a really good point.

the problem with that is how the incoming recruits would react to having been deceived about his presence. That will be a very fine needle to thread.

I disagree with this sentiment. I think coach Hop will pull an Ollie and be just as successful right off the bat. Hop has been running the practices for years now. He's a terrific coach. I would be surprised is the Orange formula for success is tampered with at all. I think the ship keeps sailing on the same tact.

I'd be shocked if Boeheim quite after this season. Mostly because of recruiting. Technically it wouldn't have been Hopkins lieing to the kids and their family but it might cause us to lose one of em to transfer.

Big difference going from thinking your going to play for a HoF in his 4th decade to play for a rookie head coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom