Bon Voyage TGD... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Bon Voyage TGD...

Also the Oneida YMCA stuff goes back to 2002, still marlboro man's time.
Both probations were the fault of Shaw, and Jake neither who were interested in keeping the football program relevant. Mike Bragman, and John Mulroy were responsible for getting the state money for the dome, otherwise football might have been eliminated, or downgraded.

baggerbob said:
Both probations were the fault of Shaw, and Jake neither who were interested in keeping the football program relevant. Mike Bragman, and John Mulroy were responsible for getting the state money for the dome, otherwise football might have been eliminated, or downgraded.

Woah the academic stuff is all gross' time with a academic advising staff he hired to, it appears, 'assist with eligibility' to bouy sports results when he was under fire.

Woah the academic stuff is all gross' time with a academic advising staff he hired to, it appears, 'assist with eligibility' to bouy sports results when he was under fire.

Except in Derek Brower's case. Oops, forgot, that was the last NCAA investigation. :rolleyes:

All the best. Thanks for the improvements.

Gross may have succeeded if the football decisions had been better timed. One good hire and two when the timing was not right. I'm still willing to give him a little leeway on that as he was successful with every other team and given the right amount of time, he made a good decision with Marrone. Not sure anyone would have outperformed him on the football side with the terrible timing.

I don't know if his hand was forced by the administration but I agree firing Pasqualoni when he did was a nightmare situation. It really set us back. If had given P another year and then evaluated the situation it would have allowed more time to identify the right candidate and possibly allow that individual to build a staff. All revisionist history and kind of Monday morning quarterbacking

The Dome was done before either Jake or Shaw was in place.

I don't know what Shaw thought about football, or any athletics for that matter. But Jake was a real football guy, and he would have done a much better job of keeping up with the football Joneses if his revenues had not been diverted.

Gross didn't hire academic advisors for the basketball team...

The Dome was done before either Jake or Shaw was in place.

I don't know what Shaw thought about football, or any athletics for that matter. But Jake was a real football guy, and he would have done a much better job of keeping up with the football Joneses if his revenues had not been diverted.
My error on Buzz 1991-2004, but Jake was 1978-2005, both probations were his responsibility.

He helped Syracuse make huge strides in non revenue sports.

But he had ONE job.

He did that job. He hired Marone. I won't hold him accountable entirely for hiring GR. He was put in a bad spot. And behind the clock. Who would t have taken the recommendation of Pete Carroll at that time?

All4SU said:
He did that job. He hired Marone. I won't hold him accountable entirely for hiring GR. He was put in a bad spot. And behind the clock. Who would t have taken the recommendation of Pete Carroll at that time?

Keeping GRob for a 4th year was a huge mistake, one which could have destroyed the program for a long time.

Hiring Marrone was a great move, but how on board was Gross? (I don't know, I've just read here from those who might know that he had to be strongly persuaded into it).

Hiring Shafer was a major miscalculation. And he had the data to back that up. Defensive guy tanks the program. Offensive guy digs it out and saves it. Never should have followed up Marrone with a first time defensive head coach.

What Gross did for the other sports is something he (and we) should all be proud of. I haven't seen the books, and I never really believe how SU reports it, but as long as those moves didn't kill the finances, then it was a job well done on those fronts.

He also guided us into the ACC. Maybe we were still on their radar from last time so there wasn't much to do, but his job is to make sure it's executed and don't screw it up.

He was an interesting change from Jake. Night and day. I think we needed that. But we probably also know a lot more about what we need in the role now. Thought we had it, until we didn't. Hope we get it again and he or she actually stays for a few years.

I never understood the hate for Gross. Was he flamboyant? yup. But I always thought that part of his character helped propel SU's image. People may forget that the torch and pitchfork crowd was large and quite vocal about firing Pasqualoni. I'm not sure letting him stay another year would have helped. Who knows where football would be today if Marrone had stayed and even though Shafer didn't work out I'm not sure at the time he was hired that there were too many other coaches to select from.

Best of luck to him

I never understood the hate for Gross. Was he flamboyant? yup. But I always thought that part of his character helped propel SU's image. People may forget that the torch and pitchfork crowd was large and quite vocal about firing Pasqualoni. I'm not sure letting him stay another year would have helped. Who knows where football would be today if Marrone had stayed and even though Shafer didn't work out I'm not sure at the time he was hired that there were too many other coaches to select from.

Best of luck to him

He did much for non revs, but guys accomplishments need to be viewed through the prism that was his primary task... To fix football.

And I know it's easy to say now, but firing P when he did was a pretty terrible decision IMO.

He did much for non revs, but guys accomplishments need to be viewed through the prism that was his primary task... To fix football.

And I know it's easy to say now, but firing P when he did was a pretty terrible decision IMO.
Wasn't DeLeone the problem then and P wouldn't fire him? I honestly can't remember

Firing P was never his decision. It was made higher up the food chain.

docsu said:
Horrible decision

Not sure you can make that case. I'd say tough decision that ended up not working out due to a poor hire.

But there was plenty of reason to look at where he was and where the program was going and to determine it was time for a change.

Not sure you can make that case. I'd say tough decision that ended up not working out due to a poor hire.

But there was plenty of reason to look at where he was and where the program was going and to determine it was time for a change.

It wasn't the decision to fire him, it's when they did it. I mean a Bowl Game complicates things but for the sake of the program it was probably better to wait a year.

It was probably time for a change,

But, you can't replace somebody with nobody. You need to have a competent replacement ready to step in. And, the timing was such that they didn't. Which is why they should have waited a year.

docsu said:
It wasn't the decision to fire him, it's when they did it. I mean a Bowl Game complicates things but for the sake of the program it was probably better to wait a year.

Agreed. Hear you on that.

That wasn't his decision.

I think your late to the party.
And you were 4 coaches, and almost-2 ADs, late with your inaccurate comment. ;)

If not for Superman Freeney in 2001 it would have been sooner, and should have been. Coach P, and George were past the point of no return, when McNabb, and Konrad left, they underachieved with that group of players.