Boston College, Steve Addazio agree on new deal that goes through 2020 | Syracusefan.com

Boston College, Steve Addazio agree on new deal that goes through 2020

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
Boston College and head coach Steve Addazio have agreed to a new contract, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Addazio will imminently sign a deal with the school that extends his contact with 2020.

This development removes Addazio from the search for a new coach atMichigan, where he was considered one of the prime candidates after San Francisco 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh. Michigan didn’t make direct contact with Addazio, but a source said the school reached out to gauge his interest.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/18/boston-college-steve-addazio-contract

Last edited:
Smart move by a smart man. Grass won't be greener for Steve. Good school, best area of the country, he gets paid a nice sum of money with minimal pressure other than to win more games than he loses and gets them to bowls on a consistent basis.

We blew it big time not getting Addazio when Rob Konrad made his plea for him. He would have fixed SU as quickly as Marrone.

Most know this but this doesn't mean anything. Any school he'd leave for wouldn't have any trouble with the buyout

Smart move by BC. I was hoping Michigan would take him out of the northeast.

He is as good as gone. Same deal as CSU coach gave to their athletic department , kind of a golden parachute or windfall profit to pay a new coach.

Smart move by BC. I was hoping Michigan would take him out of the northeast.

Who says they won't? This is just his agent floating that possibility to BC, grab him some security now. If Michigan wants him, they'll have him.

price.jpg

Chip, I think it is a bit more complicated than that. Yes, this extension does nothing to absolutely prevent him from leaving at some point in the future. That said, it DOES accomplish some very important things:

Addazio had 4 years remaining on his contract. This extension adds two years. More importantly, however, it comes with what is widely believed to be a hefty raise. Prior to this extension, Addazio was making a reported $1.75M/ year (as a private school, BC does not disclose salaries, but the numbers were reported on a number of websites). The result here is that this development will likely take a number of schools off the board as being able to potentially poach him. Sure, a Michigan could still afford him, but would they want him at the premium price? Would they want to pay a premium for what they would likely consider a "Plan B" hire? On the other hand, if Addazio continues to drive BC forward so that he would not be considered a "Plan B" hire, then BC will be in a stronger position to hold onto him, or, at the very least, BC will be in a much stronger position to get a very good replacement, IMO.

To summarize, this move doesn't guarantee that he would never leave. What it does do is change the dynamics to make it less likely - with BC being in a much stronger position if a move does occur.

Chip, I think it is a bit more complicated than that. Yes, this extension does nothing to absolutely prevent him from leaving at some point in the future. That said, it DOES accomplish some very important things:

Addazio had 4 years remaining on his contract. This extension adds two years. More importantly, however, it comes with what is widely believed to be a hefty raise. Prior to this extension, Addazio was making a reported $1.75M/ year (as a private school, BC does not disclose salaries, but the numbers were reported on a number of websites). The result here is that this development will likely take a number of schools off the board as being able to potentially poach him. Sure, a Michigan could still afford him, but would they want him at the premium price? Would they want to pay a premium for what they would likely consider a "Plan B" hire? On the other hand, if Addazio continues to drive BC forward so that he would not be considered a "Plan B" hire, then BC will be in a stronger position to hold onto him, or, at the very least, BC will be in a much stronger position to get a very good replacement, IMO.

To summarize, this move doesn't guarantee that he would never leave. What it does do is change the dynamics to make it less likely - with BC being in a much stronger position if a move does occur.

I don't doubt any of that. I think he's proven his worth and good for him to get this security in place, should no one come calling at the moment.

I'm just saying with the numbers Michigan is throwing around, I don't think they're going to let anything stand in their way. I was half joking when I said they should just offer Urban Meyer $25M per year. But why not float $10-$15M. It's only money.