Boy what's gonna happen when we get tested | Syracusefan.com

Boy what's gonna happen when we get tested

GooseMutt

All Conference
Not one game has been close. We all want Lydon to have the ball tied with under a minute but he will receive alot of attention. It seemed to me last year that sometimes we looked like we were playing hot potatoe. No one wanted to shoot and it got back to G ( who by the way executed well) for a last second shot. This team appears to have many players who I believe want the ball in their hands with under a minute i e Gillon, White, Lydon, Battle, and even with the largest pair of balls Taureen. It will be interesting to see who mans up when we are in a tight one. I would set a pick for Lyfon or White depending on how each was being covered go my beloved Orange!

Lydon is pretty good at the 5. He's quick and stronger than he looks. I like the lineups we have with and without TT. I think the team is going to get win number 3.

b/c that would entail us having an actual offensive gameplan

I think our offense runs plays. It's not structured like a motion offense but there are certain patterns the players seem to repeat. Battle and Gillon driving to the rim. Drive and dish. Drive and kick outs to White. Swinging the ball around the perimeter until someone gets an open look. It may not be a game plan but it's not just random plays on offense. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think our offense runs plays. It's not structured like a motion offense but there are certain patterns the players seem to repeat. Battle and Gillon driving to the rim. Drive and dish. Drive and kick outs to White. Swinging the ball around the perimeter until someone gets an open look. It may not be a game plan but it's not just random plays on offense. Maybe I'm wrong.
You're not wrong.

Read and React. Good analysis.

I think the spotlight will be on Gillon. One possession to win I think JB gives it to Gillon, and says create and get the defense moving and find Lydon or White. Question is will he look or just go to the rim.

You're not wrong.

It's improved significantly the last 2 games. It's been so much better to watch. However, the offensive game-plan had been horrendous for awhile prior to the last two games, and the numbers backed it up.

Lydon is pretty good at the 5. He's quick and stronger than he looks. I like the lineups we have with and without TT. I think the team is going to get win number 3.

Is it just me or does Lydon have a puffy look to him this year? Maybe he rushed to put on muscle and it translated to something else...

We lost by 2 to Yukon. That seems pretty close to me :noidea:
We were working so hard to lose that game that the result seemed to be a foregone conclusion. I think I gave up hope with a good five minutes left. That's why the game didn't seem close to me. Also, like GooseMutt, I think I blacked out.

It's improved significantly the last 2 games. It's been so much better to watch. However, the offensive game-plan had been horrendous for awhile prior to the last two games, and the numbers backed it up.
Was the game plan horrendous or was it the execution?

Our man-to-man offense used to consist entirely of a series of set plays. However, since Coach Boeheim has been involved with Team USA, it has evolved into a high ball-screen offense that occasionally sprinkles in a set play. Unfortunately, both offenses have exhibited similar concerns over the years.

Our set-play offense would often struggle when the defense took away our first scoring option. The players would often miss or give up on second and third options, and the offense would bog down as a result. Additionally, the plays we ran were often designed to isolate our best scorer in one-on-one situations. That works well when the best scorer is Carmelo, but not so much in seasons that this player isn't a fully developed stud with a bevy of moves.

Our ball-screen offense, ironically, suffers at times from the same problems. If the initial screen-and-roll doesn't produce a good shot, the offense crumbles into a lot of standing around as one player pounds the ball into the floor. A pass may be made only to have another random high ball-screen set, often with players improperly spaced and the defense in great help position. The fundamentals of strong ball-screen offenses--multiple screening angles, screen/re-screening action, ball screens integrated into a motion offense as an "automatic play," etc.--have largely been missing. Furthermore, the offense still seems to rely on one-on-one skills rather than teamwork and design to produce shots.

The last two games, though, our players have executed more set plays, and they have also demonstrated some of the facets of an effective ball-screening offense. For example, Roberson set a ball screen for Gillon against Pitt (I think--I don't think it was against Miami), and then he immediately set a down screen for White. White read the screen well, and he straight cut the screen for an open three-pointer. These two screen-and-roll fundamentals properly performed together, two screens set in succession and replacing the roll man, led to a great scoring chance. It was the first time all year I remember one of our players setting two screens in succession. Such a play puts the screener's defender into a tough spot. He has to hedge on the ball screen and then recover fast enough to help his teammate defend the down screen. Either he will be late (which he was in this case) to help his teammate, or the defense will have to switch, which can cause mismatches that can be exploited. In short, this action should be a staple of the offense, not an anomaly.

Ultimately, our offense is more of a "motion" offense than it was a decade ago. I'm sure the coaching staff has rules for our motion. However, given the year-after-year half-court troubles, I wonder how emphasized certain fundamentals are. The players often don't keep the spacing or perform the screen-and-cut actions the way a motion offense should to occupy the defense and create scoring opportunities. Instead, we often see the apparent randomness that breeds inconsistency. This inconsistency is only exacerbated by teams that play physical man-to-man. I'm hoping the team's execution the last two games will become the foundation upon which the program can create more half-court efficiency. It would be nice to see more backdoor cuts like the one White made against the Pitt defender that overplayed him, and more proper passes like the bounce pass Gillon made to get White the lay-up.

Edit: The Roberson play was against Miami, but they re-showed it during the Pitt broadcast.

Last edited:
... For example, Roberson set a ball screen for Gillon against Pitt (I think--I don't think it was against Miami), and then he immediately set a down screen for White. White read the screen well, and he straight cut the screen for an open three-pointer. These two screen-and-roll fundamentals properly performed together, two screens set in succession and replacing the roll man, led to a great scoring chance. It was the first time all year I remember one of our players setting two screens in succession. Such a play puts the screener's defender into a tough spot. He has to hedge on the ball screen and then recover fast enough to help his teammate defend the down screen. Either he will be late (which he was in this case) to help his teammate, or the defense will have to switch, which can cause mismatches that can be exploited. In short, this action should be a staple of the offense, not an anomaly.

Ultimately, our offense is more of a "motion" offense than it was a decade ago. I'm sure the coaching staff has rules for our motion. However, given the year-after-year half-court troubles, I wonder how emphasized certain fundamentals are. The players often don't keep the spacing or perform the screen-and-cut actions the way a motion offense should to occupy the defense and create scoring opportunities. Instead, we often see the apparent randomness that breeds inconsistency. This inconsistency is only exacerbated by teams that play physical man-to-man. I'm hoping the team's execution the last two games will become the foundation upon which the program can create more half-court efficiency. It would be nice to see more backdoor cuts like the one White made against the Pitt defender that overplayed him, and more proper passes like the bounce pass Gillon made to get White the lay-up.

That was great, was so happy to see the return of a down screen in that situation. Hadn't seen that in too long. Obviously something we'd practiced recently.

Game plan.
Execution. We are running the exact same plays. Confidence and execution are light years ahead of where they were 2 short games ago. And we are making shots. There has been very little different about what we are doing on "O".

Our man-to-man offense used to consist entirely of a series of set plays. However, since Coach Boeheim has been involved with Team USA, it has evolved into a high ball-screen offense that occasionally sprinkles in a set play. Unfortunately, both offenses have exhibited similar concerns over the years.

Our set-play offense would often struggle when the defense took away our first scoring option. The players would often miss or give up on second and third options, and the offense would bog down as a result. Additionally, the plays we ran were often designed to isolate our best scorer in one-on-one situations. That works well when the best scorer is Carmelo, but not so much in seasons that this player isn't a fully developed stud with a bevy of moves.

Our ball-screen offense, ironically, suffers at times from the same problems. If the initial screen-and-roll doesn't produce a good shot, the offense crumbles into a lot of standing around as one player pounds the ball into the floor. A pass may be made only to have another random high ball-screen set, often with players improperly spaced and the defense in great help position. The fundamentals of strong ball-screen offenses--multiple screening angles, screen/re-screening action, ball screens integrated into a motion offense as an "automatic play," etc.--have largely been missing. Furthermore, the offense still seems to rely on one-on-one skills rather than teamwork and design to produce shots.

The last two games, though, our players have executed more set plays, and they have also demonstrated some of the facets of an effective ball-screening offense. For example, Roberson set a ball screen for Gillon against Pitt (I think--I don't think it was against Miami), and then he immediately set a down screen for White. White read the screen well, and he straight cut the screen for an open three-pointer. These two screen-and-roll fundamentals properly performed together, two screens set in succession and replacing the roll man, led to a great scoring chance. It was the first time all year I remember one of our players setting two screens in succession. Such a play puts the screener's defender into a tough spot. He has to hedge on the ball screen and then recover fast enough to help his teammate defend the down screen. Either he will be late (which he was in this case) to help his teammate, or the defense will have to switch, which can cause mismatches that can be exploited. In short, this action should be a staple of the offense, not an anomaly.

Edit: The Roberson play was against Miami, but they re-showed it during the Pitt broadcast.

When kicking out to White and he starts sinking shots everything works better. I also like what Thompson brings to the offense when he's not in foul trouble. The double pick plays work well but we do not see them very often. Maybe Battle should take on the role of running the baseline to the opposite side for a catch and shoot. We've heard how fast Kid Mamba is on the court and he's has a pretty good 3-point shooting percentage.

We were working so hard to lose that game that the result seemed to be a foregone conclusion. I think I gave up hope with a good five minutes left. That's why the game didn't seem close to me. Also, like GooseMutt, I think I blacked out.
That's kind of odd, given that it was tied with 2 seconds left.

Execution. We are running the exact same plays. Confidence and execution are light years ahead of where they were 2 short games ago. And we are making shots. There has been very little different about what we are doing on "O".

There has been a ton different imo. Off the ball movement. Ball screens with players who are actually threats to do something after the screen. Emphasis on penetration. With the correct personnel. Coaches are the ones who put the rotations together. Looking for the post, either through the high low or recognizing screens and mismatches on the block. These happen through good movement. Now, execution definitely plays a role, it's not 100% either/or. I think game-plan has accounted for more, though, hence my original answer. Rotations are part of game-planning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom