Bracketology: Men's Division I, Second Look (IL) | Syracusefan.com

Bracketology: Men's Division I, Second Look (IL)

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Days to Selection Sunday: 16.

Percent of regular season games played: 82%.

It's time for Bracketology, Part II...

31730.jpg

IL's At-Large Resumes
3. Syracuse (9-2)RPI: 2
Top 5 Wins: Duke
Top 20 Wins: Cornell, Virginia, Albany, Johns Hopkins
Games Remaining: ACC Tournament*, Colgate

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/bracketology-men-s-division-i-second-look/31730

So basically due to the travel rule unless we get a top 2 seed it appears we are likely getting Albany again. That Albany matchup at home would scare me more than Duke/Georgetown 2nd round potentially.

Alsacs said:
So basically due to the travel rule unless we get a top 2 seed it appears we are likely getting Albany again. That Albany matchup at home would scare me more than Duke/Georgetown 2nd round potentially.

Big difference between being a second vs. third seed.

We gotta win the ACC tourney...definitely doable.

We have to win the first game of the tournament, whoever we are playing. That should do it.

Also, what is the surface of the Navy field, synthetic turf or grass?

If ND beats UNC and UMD doesn't win out. I think if we beat UNC on a neutral field it would wash out the UNC win at home and our resume would be better than their resume at that point. If UMD didn't win out I think we would be #2 slightly.

UNC hypothetical resume wins over Syracuse, Duke, Denver, Virginia, and Hopkins.
Syracuse hypothetical resume wins over UNC-N, Duke, Albany, Hopkins, Virginia.

Who would the committee favor? Right now Syracuse is #2 in the RPI and UNC is #3.
We have 3 scenarios IMO to a top 2 seed.
1. We win the ACC Tournament. This is doable and our way to control destiny.
2. We need to UNC to beat ND and ND to lose on the road to Army,and SU beat ND at the ACCT.
3. We need ND to beat UNC, we beat UNC at the ACCT and UMD to lose 1 game and committee like our resume 2nd best assuming we lost the ACCT championship game to ND or Duke.

I am not so sure that a realistic draw for a couple of reasons. If Albany wins out as they are predicting they would likely get a better mathcup then the three 3 seed. Yes I know about the travel rule but 2 years ago they sent Albany out to Denver for the first round. I think its much more likely they would match them up versus Virginia or Cornell in the first round in versus Syracuse.

Second even though I am sure the tourney committe would love a final Thompson vs the Orange game are they really going to waste it on a first round matchup? Much more likely they would try to set this up as a quarter final or semi final game.

Third if Albany doesn't win this Saturday against Yale and their conference tourney I dont know if there necessary a lock to make the tournament. There 10-2 but got blown out in the two games against elite level opponents. If they beat Yale Satruday they will pretty much be a lock to get in the tourney but a loss Satuday and then an upset in the America East or whatever that conference is called and they could be in big trouble.

Kind of sad that only 5 of the projected 16 teams are from the Northeast

I am not so sure that a realistic draw for a couple of reasons. If Albany wins out as they are predicting they would likely get a better mathcup then the three 3 seed. Yes I know about the travel rule but 2 years ago they sent Albany out to Denver for the first round. I think its much more likely they would match them up versus Virginia or Cornell in the first round in versus Syracuse.

Second even though I am sure the tourney committe would love a final Thompson vs the Orange game are they really going to waste it on a first round matchup? Much more likely they would try to set this up as a quarter final or semi final game.

Third if Albany doesn't win this Saturday against Yale and their conference tourney I dont know if there necessary a lock to make the tournament. There 10-2 but got blown out in the two games against elite level opponents. If they beat Yale Satruday they will pretty much be a lock to get in the tourney but a loss Satuday and then an upset in the America East or whatever that conference is called and they could be in big trouble.
Honestly why wouldn't the committee just flip Towson and Albany. Send Towson to Syracuse and Albany to Cornell in this projection. I know Towson is a solid, but they are #14 in the RPI and Albany is #12. So wouldn't the committee want to be fair when its the same distance practically to Syracuse and Ithaca.
I know after watching the Albany-SU game that I would prefer another first round opponent if possible. I mean we would be favored, but their offense was scary.

Honestly why wouldn't the committee just flip Towson and Albany. Send Towson to Syracuse and Albany to Cornell in this projection. I know Towson is a solid, but they are #14 in the RPI and Albany is #12. So wouldn't the committee want to be fair when its the same distance practically to Syracuse and Ithaca.
I know after watching the Albany-SU game that I would prefer another first round opponent if possible. I mean we would be favored, but their offense was scary.

If Albany wins out (which is certainly possible) I dont see them matching up with Syracuse. Keep in mind there are still 2 + week to go in the season so things are going to change big time.

Cornell could win out and really bump up their seed or they could stumble lose early in the Ivy and be on the bubble, ditto for Albany, though Lyle being a senior means the NCAA will bend over backwards to get Albany in the tournament

Also dont forget that the Bryant factor is still out there. Despite the fact that they were like 2-7 at one point they lost 10-8 to Albany on Tuesday and could easily win their conference tourney again. Should they win their conference tourney they will likely get a play in game, does the committe try to set up Syracuse vs Bryant round 3?

Syracuse also controls it own destiny here. Win the ACC tournament and they could grab a one seed which woudl surely have them avoid Albany and Cornell. Lose in the first round they could fall to a 4 or 5 seed which I think would all but guarantee Albany or Cornell or another opponent we would rather avoid.

If Albany wins out (which is certainly possible) I dont see them matching up with Syracuse. Keep in mind there are still 2 + week to go in the season so things are going to change big time.

Cornell could win out and really bump up their seed or they could stumble lose early in the Ivy and be on the bubble, ditto for Albany, though Lyle being a senior means the NCAA will bend over backwards to get Albany in the tournament

Also dont forget that the Bryant factor is still out there. Despite the fact that they were like 2-7 at one point they lost 10-8 to Albany on Tuesday and could easily win their conference tourney again. Should they win their conference tourney they will likely get a play in game, does the committe try to set up Syracuse vs Bryant round 3?

Syracuse also controls it own destiny here. Win the ACC tournament and they could grab a one seed which woudl surely have them avoid Albany and Cornell. Lose in the first round they could fall to a 4 or 5 seed which I think would all but guarantee Albany or Cornell or another opponent we would rather avoid.

If SU ends up a 1 seed, do they go to Denver or does the whole bracket flip around so SU goes to Annapolis?

If SU ends up a 1 seed, do they go to Denver or does the whole bracket flip around so SU goes to Annapolis?
ND and the lowest of SU, UNC, UMD will get send to Denver and likely whomever gets the 4th seed will play Denver in a road game.
We need at worst to be 3rd seed to avoid being sent to Denver.

I believe Syracuse is likely headed to Annapolis, they will draw big crowd numbers, NCAA will try and keep them in the region as much as possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom