Bracketology Thread for April 27 | Syracusefan.com

Bracketology Thread for April 27

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
LM: Bracketology: Round Four, with a Committee Assist

Syracuse
's numbers aren't eye-popping, but here's the underlying question for the Orange: Find two more teams not mentioned yet that are better. The Orange can assuage any lingering concerns with a defeat of North Carolina on Friday. ... You can debate whether margin of victory should matter or not (the RPI doesn't take it into account), but there are still human beings deciding who gets in.

Columbus, Ohio

(1) BIG EAST/Denver vs. SOUTHERN/Air Force-COLONIAL/Towson
(8) PATRIOT/Navy vs. Duke

Providence, R.I.

(5) Johns Hopkins vs. North Carolina
(4) BIG TEN/Maryland vs. Villanova

Columbus, Ohio

(3) ATLANTIC COAST/Notre Dame vs. Marquette
(6) AMERICA EAST/Albany vs. Syracuse

Providence, R.I.

(7) Yale vs. Loyola
(2) IVY/Brown vs. NORTHEAST/Bryant-METRO ATLANTIC/Quinnipiac

Last four included: Syracuse, North Carolina, Villanova, Marquette
Four just on the outside: Rutgers, Penn State, Virginia, Harvard

Last edited:
Epoch Lacrosse Bracketology just released
39712.jpg

The Lax tourney never spent a dime on travel that they didn't have to.

Epoch/IL Bracketology: Men's Division I, Third Look

The ACC

A theme for the first two iterations of the Epoch/IL Bracketology was how odd the field was shaping up based on the five ACC teams’ RPI rankings, which were historically anomalous. The league, in total, took a significant step forward in the last week, however. Between April 20 and April 27, five teams’ average RPI rank went from 14.2 to 12.4, Carolina (a Top 5 win over Notre Dame) and Duke (a Top 20 win over Marquette) added much-needed significant wins and Syracuse benefitted from Albany’s RPI rise, giving the Orange a coveted Top 5 win.

Keep in mind — the winner of the ACC Tournament claims an AQ to the NCAA Tournament this season. However, this is the final year for which that’s true unless the ACC adds a sixth men’s lacrosse team before 2017.

Assuming the Big Ten (UMd, JHU), Big East (Denver), Ivy League (Brown, Yale), Patriot League (Navy, Loyola) and America East (Albany) AQs go to teams with better or roughly equal resumes than Syracuse and Carolina, I think both the Orange and Tar Heels will make the NCAA Tournament regardless of the result of their ACC Semifinal game, and the winner of that matchup is a lock. If as few as three of those bids are stolen, the loser could end up on the bubble. Duke is also included in that mix presuming a loss to Notre Dame; a win all but assures them a bid.

I say this every single year but with only 16 teams it is not fair to have automatic qualifiers. What a tournament it would be if they just took the top 16 teams based on either ranking or RPI. No guess work.

Last edited:
ThruWayWest said:
I say this every single year but with only 16 teams it is not fair to have automatic qualifiers. What a tournament it would be if they just took the top 16 teams.

Yup, lax is a different animal than hoops.

I say this every single year but with only 16 teams it is not fair to have automatic qualifiers. What a tournament it would be if they just took the top 16 teams.

Well they at least when to the play in game format to make it a little more fair but I agree some of the automatic qualifiers from conferences are not deserving but it is what it is. To be fair the process did put SU in the tourney in 2012.

Well they at least when to the play in game format to make it a little more fair but I agree some of the automatic qualifiers from conferences are not deserving but it is what it is. To be fair the process did put SU in the tourney in 2012.

I know. It is what it is. The basketball with 68 teams is a little different. The Cinderella factor. I want to see the best teams and have the best team win

Looking at that bracket, I really don't see any top contenders being left out.

Conference play generally evens out and the big boys like SU play a national schedule anyway.

Looking at that bracket, I really don't see any top contenders being left out.

Conference play generally evens out and the big boys like SU play a national schedule anyway.

I don't think Quinnipiac and St. Joseph's should be in the field.

I've been following the team and knew we had dropped some games we probably shouldn't have but I didn't realize we were in "Last four in"territory. Is tonight a must win to make the tournament for those that are more knowledgeable than I am? Possibly JeremyCuse can help me out?

Last edited:
I've been following the team and knew we had dropped some games we probably shouldn't have but I didn't realize we were in "Last four in"territory. Is tonight a must win to make the tournament for those that are more knowledgeable than I am? Possibly JeremyCuse can help me out?

Sorry for some reason I didn't get a notification about ur post. Had SU lost yesterday they definitely would have been sweating a bit. I think they probably still would have gotten in but a few conference upsets and we would have been in big trouble. Beat Duke and your looking at a top 8 seed and a home game. Team has a chance to really make a statement

if you dont have AQ then most of those leagues dont exist and that doesnt help the sport. the same goes for ncaa hockey. now if we have 12 AQ and a top 3-4 team didnt get in that might be an issue.

The ACC loses its AQ next year.

The tourney will be 8 AQ's and 10 At Larges moving forward (unless the ACC adds a 6th team).

Hampton and NJIT are still independents. First come first serve.

Any chance the ACC could find a 6th team for next year? Denver is in the Big East and how many ACC teams do they already play?

Plus, the ACC likes to take teams from the Big East?

If I were Sworfford I would call Denver and offer them the 6th spot in the ACC,

ACC really missed the boat by not adding Hop as an associate member.

ACC doesn't want a member that isn't Div1 in all sports and or a fellow ACC member. Adding JHU would have been to many strong team as it is the ACC beats up on each other every year adding another top 10 type team wasn't the answer. If the ACC wants to keep the AQ they could easily add another team just depends on who they are looking for.

L'Ville, BC, and VT all have women's programs. Time for at least one of them to take the leap.

I wouldn't hold your breath. BC had a team in the early 90's but scrapped it. Title 9 is an issue and apparently the hieararchy has zero interest in Lax. Va Tech is in a similar boat, Title 9 and $$$. Lville was rumored to be a candidate once Maryland announced but Lville has its own issues and there's been nothing not even a hint about them trying to add Lax. I believe Title 9 is a big issue their as well.

Any chance the ACC could find a 6th team for next year? Denver is in the Big East and how many ACC teams do they already play?

Plus, the ACC likes to take teams from the Big East?

If I were Sworfford I would call Denver and offer them the 6th spot in the ACC,

No chance on Denver, to far away for the travel and like JHU adds a top 5 - top 10 team to a league that doesn't really need it. Denver would be overkill at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom