BREAKING: Jameis Winston suspended for 1st half of Clemson game... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

BREAKING: Jameis Winston suspended for 1st half of Clemson game...

Fisher say he a bright kid and learns quick. He never makes a mistake twice. Are we not Lucky that their are thousands of mistake left for, the face plate of our conference, to screw The ACC with.

Sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous. This stems from clips of a people on the news yelling 'f' her right in the 'slang term for vagina and term for feline'.

It's a joke and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Here's a link to a video demonstrating this -- potentially NSFW.

https://www.y.outube.com/watch?v=6w1DsOA-1pM

I've added an extra period between the 'y' and 'o' so no one accidentally clicks on it and gets in trouble at work.

Winston is killing his stock especially because he was in no shape the consensus number 1 pick. I can easily see Mariota going before him even if Winston has more skills at least with Mariota you get none of this nonsense.
The NFL doesn't care what these guys do as long as they are huge football talents. Look at the immature stuff Manziel did.

Sorry, but this is absolutely ridiculous. This stems from clips of a people on the news yelling 'f' her right in the 'slang term for vagina and term for feline'.

It's a joke and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Here's a link to a video demonstrating this -- potentially NSFW.

https://www.y.outube.com/watch?v=6w1DsOA-1pM

I've added an extra period between the 'y' and 'o' so no one accidentally clicks on it and gets in trouble at work.
when the University is investigating you for a sexual assault on a student it kinda is a big deal

As if I needed more of a reason I can't wait for Wayne or Bob Welsh to put him in the turf

Honestly, that video Winston mocked wasn't funny and really is an insult women. I am okay with being funny, but that "joke" really isn't funny and is crude towards women. I am not a male feminist, but you got to have respect for women and not say that stuff wow.

So if I stood up at my desk and yelled that right now would my company be out of line for suspending me?
Unfortunately, if it's a private organization, no. They could also circumvent the free speech issue and make the claim that you're disrupting the working environment. I personally find it to be acceptable and non-disruptive if not done continuously. Remember that FSU is a public school funded by the government of Florida meaning its students have the right to free speech on its campus. I doubt this breaks any terms of use Twitter has in place. Although I'm sure Twitter's terms of use says something along the lines of them having the authority to remove tweets and suspend accounts for any reason.

That's a ridiculous stance
Why's this? Do you think James Madison was out of line with the first amendment?

I loathe the Westboro Baptist Church. But, as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others, they should be allowed to spew their hate. And I would defend them if they were silenced on public property.

I also just noticed that I forgot to include 'be' in the post you quoted. Whoops.

Why's this? Do you think James Madison was out of line with the first amendment?

I loathe the Westboro Baptist Church. But, as long as they don't infringe on the rights of others, they should be allowed to spew their hate. And I would defend them if they were silenced on public property.

Not a first amendment issue, as others have already pointed out...

Not a first amendment issue, as others have already pointed out...
Him being penalized by an institution run by the Florida government for speech is wrong in my eyes. I don't care if he's been arrested or not; he's still been silenced.

I'm surprised they're doing this for one of the few challenging games on the schedule. I figured they'd wait until the Wake Forest game for the 1st half suspension.

Him being penalized by an institution run by the Florida government for speech is wrong in my eyes. I don't care if he's been arrested or not; he's still been silenced.

Ok, extreme case here: let's say Jimbo Fisher jumps up on a table and starts screaming the N word to a cafeteria full of people. I suppose, by your logic, the University should just say "oh well, free speech" *shrug shoulders*

There is no constitutional amendment that protects either the Winston case or the made up Jimbo case, nor should there be.

Remember that FSU is a public school funded by the government of Florida meaning its students have the right to free speech on its campus.

Winston isn't a student. He's a student-athlete.

He's got an Athletic Code of Conduct that he has to answer to.

Now, if Mr Winston wants to give up his scholarship and his place on the football team, he's free to say whatever he wants.

Now, if Mr Winston wants to give up his scholarship and his place on the football team, he's free to say whatever he wants.

And I would argue that even then he's not free to say whatever he wants.

Fair. It's just silly to suspend someone for something like this. Say he was an idiot. I'm sure nearly every player has said something dumb and vulgar in public. MCW stole from Lord & Taylor and didn't miss time. That was breaking the law and even more embarrassing.

Actually, right / wrong / or indifferent, MCW paid his way out of that violation, was never charged with a crime, was never prosecuted by the store, never was arrested, and did not have a criminal background. Had he been, I'm fairly sure that there would have been some sanctions imposed. JB is nothing if not lenient, but I don't think he could look the other way given the groundswell of then recent negative publicity the program had endured.

Conversely, Winston does have a criminal background. He was investigated for sexual assault. He went into a Piggly Wiggly with the intention of shoplifitng lobster [if I'm not mistaken]. This latest incident might not in and of itself be that big of a deal, but on top of everything else it shows a pattern of really poor judgement on this kid's part. This incident alone might not warrant a several punishment, but it was the tipping point to send Winston a message.

Good point. I wasn't considering the NCAA for whatever reason.

Even if what he said can be considered sexual harassment?

sex·u·al ha·rass·ment

noun
  1. harassment (typically of a woman) in a workplace, or other professional or social situation, involving the making of unwanted sexual advances or obscene remarks.

Even if what he said can be considered s e xual harassment?

s e x·u·al ha·rass·ment

noun
  1. harassment (typically of a woman) in a workplace, or other professional or social situation, involving the making of unwanted s e xual advances or obscene remarks.
Sexual harassment is such a loose term. Anything can be considered sexual harassment; but delving further into this issue will skew this thread astray. His comments were directed at no one in particular, so it's not sexual harassment.

Last edited: