BREAKING NEWS: UConn Gets on the P5 Train | Syracusefan.com

BREAKING NEWS: UConn Gets on the P5 Train

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Darn they were that close.

giphy.gif

Seriously it appears the AAC teams are scrambling to convince the B12 to take them.

I think the B12 goes for the geography...and grabs Memphis and Cincy. Not sure they can afford going to 14 unless they grab BYU/Boise. They are in a tough spot...FOX might have to help them out here with higher than market value. I don't see UConn going to the B12.

h/t: ArmoredUpKnight for the GIF

Last edited:
Too bad they didn't back the football playing schools back in the old Big East . Oh yeah , it was working out real good for them at that time.

I wasn't even going to open this thread because I really have no interest in UConn but this was hilarious. Well done everyone!

Too bad they didn't back the football playing schools back in the old Big East . Oh yeah , it was working out real good for them at that time.

Not sure what you are referring to here. When didn't UConn back the football playing schools in the Big East? They voted yes to admit PSU. And they voted yes to admit Miami.

They were late coming to the party in terms of upgrading their football to 1-A. Is that what you mean by not backing the football schools?

Cheers,
Neil

I enjoy UConn Schadenfreude as much as anyone...but in my mind I really like to see the MWC and AAC merge and join with the big boys. Expand the Playoffs to 16 teams...with each conference champion guaranteed 1 slot and 10 at-large slots. I would think about starting the season 1 week earlier.

I enjoy UConn Schadenfreude as much as anyone...but in my mind I really like to see the MWC and AAC merge and join with the big boys. Expand the Playoffs to 16 teams...with each conference champion guaranteed 1 slot and 10 at-large slots. I would think about starting the season 1 week earlier.
TexanMark. I respect you very much, but you are asking teams to play a 13 week regular season, a 14th game for those teams that play a conference championship, and then a 4 game stretch for any team to make it to the title game? The NFL thinks that's nuts

TexanMark. I respect you very much, but you are asking teams to play a 13 week regular season, a 14th game for those teams that play a conference championship, and then a 4 game stretch for any team to make it to the title game? The NFL thinks that's nuts
The regular season should go back to being 11 games, and the playoff should never go beyond 8 teams. Even then it's 15 games for the winner, which is plenty. And I can't say this enough, but the NCAA/P5 must change the rules so that non-bowl teams can practice the same number of weeks that bowl teams do. I would say that they can practice as if they were playing 3 games in the bowl season, on whichever weeks they wanted to.

There should be two nicely-spaced byes during the regular season.

Ten at large slots? This would be more like the NHL where they play to see who doesn't make the playoffs.

Orijinal, I thought about 11 game regular season too...that might be the best compromise.

Ten at large slots? This would be more like the NHL where they play to see who doesn't make the playoffs.
Less than 20% of the teams would make the playoffs. It is similar to hoops

Orijinal, I thought about 11 game regular season too...that might be the best compromise.

That's the bind college football is in. In order to expand a playoff system, you are asking bowls, schools, a large number of entities to give up revenue. 11 games makes sense. Too much sense to work.

That's the bind college football is in. In order to expand a playoff system, you are asking bowls, schools, a large number of entities to give up revenue. 11 games makes sense. Too much sense to work.

But Notre Dame says...we want to have our cake and eat it too!

But Notre Dame says...Nothing you idiot! Notre Dame's Dead he's locked in my basement!

Fixed, Literally the first thing that came to mind when I read the first half of your post. :D

Gotcha. I am still a fan of the way the playoff is set up now. But understood. Just don't like the idea of Syracuse only playing 11 games when they don't make a bowl. Think 11 is too few and 17 for the championship is too much.

Gotcha. I am still a fan of the way the playoff is set up now. But understood. Just don't like the idea of Syracuse only playing 11 games when they don't make a bowl. Think 11 is too few and 17 for the championship is too much.
I'd still like to have bowl games outside the Top 16. It seems like TV (ESPN) will support them.

Maybe I am missing something, why would it be a 14th game for a conference championship? Right now teams who play in a conference championship game only play 13 games before their bowl. I do agree with your main point of 17 games being too long of a season.

Maybe they could have all teams have 11 scheduled games and then as the season plays out match up teams who aren't playing in a conference championship for a 12th game. That way all teams including those who play in a conference championship would have 12 games going into the playoff/bowl season.

The logistics are probably a little more complicated than setting up the basketball's bracket buster games that aren't schedule too far in advance. Still, it is something that could be done.