Brian's Song | Syracusefan.com

Brian's Song

goofnoff

2nd String
WaPo had an op-ed piece this week regarding the incredibly sentimental football bio Brian's Song. It was titled James Caan taught American men to cry. I won't go into that. My memories of Gale Sayres revolve around Syracuse. The year Jim Nance came out, the Bears had three first round picks. They chose Sayres, Piccolo and Jim Nance. Nance chose to take the AFL offer, I've always thought, because he spent his last two years at SU primarily blocking for Little.

I believe, if memory serves, Little had a five touchdown game against a Sayres' Jayhawks.

I also remember Sayres running wild in a Bear's blowout of my beloved Giants.

Brian's Song went from TV to a commercial success in theaters. Did it make you cry?

Brian's Song did and still does make me cry. When Sayers dedicates his most courageous player award to Piccolo...man oh man...

How he lived...how he did live...

WaPo had an op-ed piece this week regarding the incredibly sentimental football bio Brian's Song. It was titled James Caan taught American men to cry. I won't go into that. My memories of Gale Sayres revolve around Syracuse. The year Jim Nance came out, the Bears had three first round picks. They chose Sayres, Piccolo and Jim Nance. Nance chose to take the AFL offer, I've always thought, because he spent his last two years at SU primarily blocking for Little.

I believe, if memory serves, Little had a five touchdown game against a Sayres' Jayhawks.

I also remember Sayres running wild in a Bear's blowout of my beloved Giants.

Brian's Song went from TV to a commercial success in theaters. Did it make you cry?
Of course. Also "Something for Joey" and "Dad: Do you wanna have a catch."

The movie made my eyes tear up, but so did the song itself.

My friend's dad and future SU employee Sid Micek was the QB of that Kansas team with Sayers that played Syracuse.

SU in Hershey did you know that?
I did NOT know that! Cool!

My own Brian’s Song story is that the first time I saw it was at SU’s/Boeheim’s Big Orange basketball camp. It was one of the evening activities the first week I ever attended. I had to be 8 or 9 and I called home so upset about the movie and I might’ve been a bit homesick, too, just to make it worse. But yeah, major tears. (Looking back, I think I’m surprised I “got it” at such a young age)

Yeah. Brian's song and field of dreams both for me.
Pride of the Yankees? I don’t know you well, but this strikes me as your kind of movie. All three of them for me…

Pride of the Yankees? I don’t know you well, but this strikes me as your kind of movie. All three of them for me…
Never seen it. I know, incredible, right. I'll tell you another one, when George's brother says, to my big brother George, the richest man in town. Every time.

Never seen it. I know, incredible, right. I'll tell you another one, when George's brother says, to my big brother George, the richest man in town. Every time.
Every time. Every year, too!
Do yourself a favor…watch Pride of the Yankees when you get a chance. Gary Cooper was so good as was Teresa Wright, who played his wife.

I cried when they announced the Nats were moving to Philly. That was a killer.

I must have been about 12 when I saw William Bendix in the Babe Ruth Story. That got me.

The two movies that choke me up as an adult are To Kill a Mockingbird and A River Runs Through It. If you grew up with a trout fishing father, and fly fished all your life, you'd understand why MacLean's words at the end gets into your head,

I must have been about 12 when I saw William Bendix in the Babe Ruth Story. That got me.

The two movies that choke me up as an adult are To Kill a Mockingbird and A River Runs Through It. If you grew up with a trout fishing father, and fly fished all your life, you'd understand why MacLean's words at the end gets into your head,
Movie quote: Matthew McConaughey: "imagine she's white."

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing." Goosebumps and a lump in my throat every time.

I love Brian Piccolo. Brian’s Song and Ole Yeller for me.

"Miss Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passing." Goosebumps and a lump in my throat every time.
You choked me up just mentioning it.

" That's the man."

"Scout, I'd like you to meet your neighbor, Mr. Radley".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom