broken stick | Syracusefan.com

broken stick

tbonezone

Living Legend
watched the replay of the cornell game last night. SU lax team looks great so far but i'm still wondering over the way we handled warren hill's broken stick incident. clearly this is an aberrant situation but i don't think the coaches thought this thing through well. trying to change goalies on the fly resulted in the worst possible outcome. do you take a timeout there ? have a sub run another stick out ? thoughts on best strategy here.

Can't take a timeout unless you have possession.

Can't run a sub out on the field or you will have too many men.

A player can't stay on the field without a stick.

The only thing you can do is run Hill off, and have Wardwell come on.

well we had possession on the stop. as for subbing i was thinking more like pulling someone next to the sideline and running in the extra man with a goalie stick. or perhaps a long stick hands his pole to the goalie and sprints to the sideline and that dude brings on the extra stick.
and in your worst case scenario too many men stops play anyways. worst case is they score. which is what happened anyways. i'm thinking ahead to next time. how to do it better.

Last edited:
Play should been stopped once the goalie breaks his shaft apparently and the play shouldn't have continued, Hill should have run off and not made the save anyway but it was a great moment all the same!

The real story is that Hill has used that shaft for 7 years!!!!! Is it a wonder boy moment?

image.jpg

thanks. sounds like play should have stopped. that sucks for wardwell!

It would've really sucked if that was a one goal loss for us.
I would hope, if this were a close game, they would not have tried changing goalies on the fly.