BTN Penn State Piece | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

BTN Penn State Piece

Imperial killed it with that post.

Categorizing the entire Penn State fan base by a few Joe Pa apologists is a poor representation of the entire university. The majority of Penn Staters realize there were massive failures within the top leadership. However, there is still lots information that the generally public think is facts when it's most opinions, like the Freeh Report. There's a lot more to the story than people realize and more and more information will continue to come out, and hopefully we know as much as the truth as possible.

Calling PSU "Ped State" is a little immature and is scattered all over this thread. What happened to horrific, in my mind there isn't a worse act you can do, but calling the entire school pedophiles because of one guy is naive. The best that can come of the whole situation is that it raises awareness and prevents these types of terrible acts from happening again.

A fine post, and I agree whole-heartedly.

So nothing happened to alleged victims. It was all a crazy conspiracy by some victims. Nothing to cover-up. Sheesh. This is making me sick. It's a delibrate cover up...
Police. Not university police - Outside investigators not tied to the university.

Cusian, I'm sorry you feel that way. No one in their right mind is saying that Sandusky did not abuse those kids. The question is who knew what and when. But I think I went on about that enough. And the 1998 incident wasn't just university police (who somehow are apparently completely under Joe's dictatorial control), it was the DA and others involved. You mention his disappearance, well that happened 7 years after this investigation. These are the small things that non-Penn Staters just do not hear about.

In conclusion, it's hard to imagine that someone can believe that a handful of guys (who told at least 16 people about the situation) were tyring to cover up KNOWN child abuse just to save a football program that would have been effected minimally, if at all, by the apprehension of Sandusky. It would have been a shocking news story, but McQueary and Joe may have even gotten praise for turning him in. I see very little incentive to cover it up at all.

SORRY, it's hard to let some things go, but I will starting now.

FOOTBALL TALK: PSU wins this one 30-20. I think there will be a lot of fits and starts on both sides, but in the end, the experience of PSU's OLine wins out. Good luck to you, but LET'S GO STATE!

In conclusion, it's hard to imagine that someone can believe that a handful of guys (who told at least 16 people about the situation) were tyring to cover up KNOWN child abuse just to save a football program that would have been effected minimally, if at all, by the apprehension of Sandusky.
It's hard to imagine that they didn't know. Probably more a case of looking the other way while knowing full well that what was going on was a possible hornet's nest.

A fine post, and I agree whole-heartedly.

Cusian, I'm sorry you feel that way. No one in their right mind is saying that Sandusky did not abuse those kids. The question is who knew what and when. But I think I went on about that enough. And the 1998 incident wasn't just university police (who somehow are apparently completely under Joe's dictatorial control), it was the DA and others involved. You mention his disappearance, well that happened 7 years after this investigation. These are the small things that non-Penn Staters just do not hear about.

In conclusion, it's hard to imagine that someone can believe that a handful of guys (who told at least 16 people about the situation) were tyring to cover up KNOWN child abuse just to save a football program that would have been effected minimally, if at all, by the apprehension of Sandusky. It would have been a shocking news story, but McQueary and Joe may have even gotten praise for turning him in. I see very little incentive to cover it up at all.

SORRY, it's hard to let some things go, but I will starting now.

FOOTBALL TALK: PSU wins this one 30-20. I think there will be a lot of fits and starts on both sides, but in the end, the experience of PSU's OLine wins out. Good luck to you, but LET'S GO STATE!

I'm happy to talk football - I'm thinking 21-17 SU. Defense plays lights out and confuses your new QB/C into some turnovers. I'm most worried about dumb turnovers on our players, like NW and Minn game last year. The stats favored us in both of those L's - but TO's doomed us. We gave USC a tough game through 3 - and got busted on some big plays by their WR and TE - that's the big concern against you guys. We stopped the run pretty well last year and look for that to happen again this year...

Can't wait for this game!

It's hard to imagine that they didn't know. Probably more a case of looking the other way while knowing full well that what was going on was a possible hornet's nest.
I'm happy to talk football - I'm thinking 21-17 SU. Defense plays lights out and confuses your new QB/C into some turnovers. I'm most worried about dumb turnovers on our players, like NW and Minn game last year. The stats favored us in both of those L's - but TO's doomed us. We gave USC a tough game through 3 - and got busted on some big plays by their WR and TE - that's the big concern against you guys. We stopped the run pretty well last year and look for that to happen again this year...

Can't wait for this game!

I think that's the difference (as it is with most games): The trenches. I think PSU may have one of the better OLines in the country, and we won't be relying on a new QB to make great decisions. Just not make bad ones. I think TOP will heavily favor PSU by the end of the game, and that will be the reason for a 10 point PSU win instead of a close game.

I think that's the difference (as it is with most games): The trenches. I think PSU may have one of the better OLines in the country, and we won't be relying on a new QB to make great decisions. Just not make bad ones. I think TOP will heavily favor PSU by the end of the game, and that will be the reason for a 10 point PSU win instead of a close game.

Maybe... I think it may be a wash on the line. Our DT's are really good. LB are experienced/fast and may be tops in the ACC by the end of the season. If there is a hole, it's at DE. But from what I've read you guys have more of a power back? 3 yards and a pile of dust.

I will say I'm worried about our rookie HC vs. BOB - that guys good. I love Shafer - but it's his first go around as HC.

Maybe... I think it may be a wash on the line. Our DT's are really good. LB are experienced/fast and may be tops in the ACC by the end of the season. If there is a hole, it's at DE. But from what I've read you guys have more of a power back? 3 yards and a pile of dust.

I will say I'm worried about our rookie HC vs. BOB - that guys good. I love Shafer - but it's his first go around as HC.

I think our interior OL is our strength, too, so your good DTs should provide a good battle in the middle.

Zwinak can be decpetively fast. But yes, he is generally a power back. However, he won't be the only RB on the field. Belton will get some carries. Very quick kid, ran the wildcat a bit in the past. He was hurt last year, so he didn't show that burst he usually has.

I don't think you posted it, but someone said that our only WR is Allen Robinson. We actually only lost one of our top 7 receivers from last year, and that's because he's now starting at corner. We also have a RS Frosh named Geno Lewis who is going to be quite the addition to that receiving core. You'll hear names like Felder and Kenney, as well. WR is actually one of our strenghts. Add the TEs and BO'B's schemes and this offense can give teams matchup problems.

All that said, I do hear your LBers are fast. That should help.

This weekend.

According to the BTN analyists the Lions have great talent on the OL and DL along with a great WR and very talented CBs.

The problem for PSU is depth - only 66 scholarship players and the uncertainty at QB.

We better be prepared to run a lot of folks at them in two weeks - and pressure the QB - likely the Jr. College transfer.

One thing I saw in the press and LOVED was that Penn State was reduced to doing "thud" drills on defense. They're not actually tackling each other in practice if they can help it, because they don't want to get injured.

Remember the last guy we heard of doing that? I do, and his team couldn't tackle for . The first thing Marrone and Shafer did right was still having the players hit each other hard in practice. You play like you practice.

Penn State will be way overconfident against us, and I think we are going to out-tough them.

One thing I saw in the press and LOVED was that Penn State was reduced to doing "thud" drills on defense. They're not actually tackling each other in practice if they can help it, because they don't want to get injured.

Remember the last guy we heard of doing that? I do, and his team couldn't tackle for . The first thing Marrone and Shafer did right was still having the players hit each other hard in practice. You play like you practice.

Penn State will be way overconfident against us, and I think we are going to out-tough them.

From what I understand, they still have practices where they tackle. Plenty enough to keep them tough.

-- Have you handed in your BB tickets yet? Pot calling the kettle black on this one buddy.

The difference is in our case, it was a case of blackmail. It was a guy who claimed he was "molested" until he was 29 years old. That's not being molested, that's being gay.

Unless Jerry Sandusky only brought gay teens to his football camp, it's hardly the same thing. When it's minors being preyed on, it's completely different.

Our school is not the one paying $5M each to all the victims. Yours is. Think about why that is. We haven't paid anyone a cent, because there were no victims, other than the Fines, whose lives have been ruined by these accusations.

I think our interior OL is our strength, too, so your good DTs should provide a good battle in the middle.

Zwinak can be decpetively fast. But yes, he is generally a power back. However, he won't be the only RB on the field. Belton will get some carries. Very quick kid, ran the wildcat a bit in the past. He was hurt last year, so he didn't show that burst he usually has.

I don't think you posted it, but someone said that our only WR is Allen Robinson. We actually only lost one of our top 7 receivers from last year, and that's because he's now starting at corner. We also have a RS Frosh named Geno Lewis who is going to be quite the addition to that receiving core. You'll hear names like Felder and Kenney, as well. WR is actually one of our strenghts. Add the TEs and BO'B's schemes and this offense can give teams matchup problems.

All that said, I do hear your LBers are fast. That should help.

I'm more worried about your TE and formations than the WR. Our secondary should be much improved from last year (more depth at CB, steady SS/FS). One of the interesting things to look for early, is how you guys pick up the exotic blitzes and how we cover swing passes and short passes underneath. We are high risk, high reward agressive D. Could be like Louisville where Teddy didn't have any time to make long passes and we bottled up the underneath stuff. Or it could be like USC, where individual plays in space turn short passes into long gains.

Cannot. Wait.

I'm more worried about your TE and formations than the WR. Our secondary should be much improved from last year (more depth at CB, steady SS/FS). One of the interesting things to look for early, is how you guys pick up the exotic blitzes and how we cover swing passes and short passes underneath. We are high risk, high reward agressive D. Could be like Louisville where Teddy didn't have any time to make long passes and we bottled up the underneath stuff. Or it could be like USC, where individual plays in space turn short passes into long gains.

Cannot. Wait.

PSU loved the slip screens to the TEs last year, and if the D ran the "right" blitz or bought the PA, those went for big yards. I would expect a lot of the same. Maybe even the first play from scrimmage.

Interesting how Cuse fans are preaching not to make assumptions based on what the media says and waiting until all the facts are known. Then those same fans condemn all of PSU and it's fans when no one knows all the facts yet. You'd think us Cuse fans would understand more than other fanbases. I guess not.

Interesting how Cuse fans are preaching not to make assumptions based on what the media says and waiting until all the facts are known. Then those same fans condemn all of PSU and it's fans when no one knows all the facts yet. You'd think us Cuse fans would understand more than other fanbases. I guess not.

Do you think you are paying off the victims for no reason?

Signed up yesterday and make this your first post as a "Cuse alum"?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Just wanted to stop by like I said I would, win or lose, and give my thoughts on the game. Wasn't pretty by any means from both sides.

If you would have told me PSU would go 1-16 on third down, turn the ball over four times and average 1.5 yards per rush I probably would've sold my ticket. Although Cuse had relatively the same numbers.

In the end it just came down to Penn State making a few more plays. Our two rookie corners lived up to the hype and the defense played really well, even without Mike Hull who missed most of the game. O'Brien called his most conservative game as a head coach but I guess who knew how much it would take to win. If Allen Robinson wasn't suspended for the first half maybe he would've opened up the playbook a little sooner since he's our prime weapon offensively. SU did a really good job, as expected, bringing the heat on defense and blitzing from all over the place. Even though Hackenberg made a few mistakes overall I think he had a very good first game for a true freshman.

Wishing you guys good luck the rest of the way, especially against Pitt.

Just wanted to stop by like I said I would, win or lose, and give my thoughts on the game. Wasn't pretty by any means from both sides.

If you would have told me PSU would go 1-16 on third down, turn the ball over four times and average 1.5 yards per rush I probably would've sold my ticket. Although Cuse had relatively the same numbers.

In the end it just came down to Penn State making a few more plays. Our two rookie corners lived up to the hype and the defense played really well, even without Mike Hull who missed most of the game. O'Brien called his most conservative game as a head coach but I guess who knew how much it would take to win. If Allen Robinson wasn't suspended for the first half maybe he would've opened up the playbook a little sooner since he's our prime weapon offensively. SU did a really good job, as expected, bringing the heat on defense and blitzing from all over the place. Even though Hackenberg made a few mistakes overall I think he had a very good first game for a true freshman.

i think our putrid offense was why your dfense looked decent- how can a offense that cant get a play in be expected to play as one- our oc lost this game more than your defense won it
in my eyes this game shouldnt have happened- your school doesnt deserve the privilege- sorry i feel that way but i do- one side of your mouths says joe p knew everything that happened on campus and the other says he was just a figure headed feable ole fool who knew nothing-

Lots of assumptions and it's hard to figure out one's intentions in typed format especially if you've never conversed with them. I don't loathe Penn State but have been less then impressed with a large part of the fan base over recent months. If Syracuse didn't play you though I wouldn't have given them nearly as much thought.

How I arrived at that score, which you've seen me take flack from fellow SU fans over:

7-0 Cuse
7-7
10-7 Cuse
17-7
17-14
24-14 <----- KO return following your TD
24-14
27-14
27-16 <----- Barnes safety
34-16 <----- Late junk TD, pick 6 perhaps

Pretty much an end scoreline that looks a lot more comforable then I will be while at the game.

Why? We can run the ball and our defense is such that running 50 times up the middle will not be effective. I think Lyn and co can keep Robinson in check. Hack will have nerves in his first game under center and we will throw enough pressure to hit him a few times, and mix enough coverages to make him second guess some throws. Game 1 year 1 will be a world different then game 1 year 3 with him. I think he'll be great, I don't think he will be great YET on Saturday. We have the DB's and LB's to make up ground in a hurry and close passing lanes. I think we can turn you over a few times.

Where I think depth will hurt PSU is on special teams, namely kickoff coverage. The returners we will use, and the depth we have for blockers look very good. Could Penn State roll starters out? sure. Would it be in their long term best interest? not likely.

Unit for Unit
QB Allen/Hunt > Hackenberg/Ferguson. Why? Older and have seen D1 defenses longer
RB Smith/PTG > Zwinak/Belton. Why? Numbers speak for themselves. Your good, we're just exceptional here
WR Robinson+nobody = West+5 guys
CB Lyn/Reddish/Anderson/Whigham > RFr 1 + RFr 2 w/ MAC offers and no prior PT
S I'll say = but why did your best CB get moved if you had that much talent returning there?
TE 4 man crew > Wales (who's good) and Parris unknown. TE's aren't a focal point for us but Wales can play
H Back/slot WR Broyld/Estime/RB lined up there > ?. 3rd WR isn't a focal point for you
DT Bromley + 3/4 > Jones + ?. We've got players here
DE Barnes + ? > ??. We have no idea what we have and your oline is pretty good. Barnes is a beast.
LB Cuse 6 deep > PSU 2 + 2 deep. Which will wear more? ZZ delivering hits or your LB's running all over the place
Oline LT,LG,C SU = PSU; RG PSU >= SU; RT PSU perhaps > SU but not sure you're sorted there yet

Matchups I like
Smith/Gulley + 2 vs your dline+LB's
Lyn vs Robinson
SU DT's+LB vs ZZ
Davis/Lynch vs PSU QB + Belton
Our slot WR/H back vs nickel coverage
23 year old QB vs 19/20 y/o green corners
Fast LB's vs Big TE's

Matchups I don't like
Robinson vs anyone not names Lyn
ZZ/BB vs our DE's
7'8 TE's vs 6' LB's
Barnes vs the right side of our oline
Carson running downhill at our RB's or QB
Amos over the middle vs smaller speed WR's

The reason the hamstring issues carry so much weight with me is IMHO Barnes and Robinson are your 2 biggest playmakers. Having them at less than 100% is a big deal even if it doesn't cause a huge drop in performances. Hamstring injuries linger and for players that excel due to speed/explosive ability it can make them a lot more managable.

Lets try this again.

QB Allen/Hunt < Hackenberg/Ferguson. Why? Hackenberg showed why he will be a star.
RB Smith/PTG = Zwinak/Belton. Why? None of the backs had very good games.
WR Robinson+nobody > West+5 guys Why? If Cuse had PSU's nobodies they would have won.
CB Lyn/Reddish/Anderson/Whigham < RFr 1 + RFr 2 w/ MAC offers and no prior PT PSU's CB's were more physical and outplayed the Cuse WRs.
S I'll say = but why did your best CB get moved if you had that much talent returning there?Amos got moved because the backups were too good not to play.
TE 4 man crew > Wales (who's good) and Parris unknown. TE's aren't a focal point for us but Wales can play
H Back/slot WR Broyld/Estime/RB lined up there = ?. 3rd WR isn't a focal point for you. Lewis (3 WR) had the game winning TD.
DT Bromley + 3/4 < Jones + ?. We've got players here. Jones dominted
DE Barnes + ? > ??. We have no idea what we have and your oline is pretty good. Barnes is a beast.
LB Cuse 6 deep > PSU 2 + 2 deep. Which will wear more? ZZ delivering hits or your LB's running all over the place
Oline LT,LG,C SU = PSU; RG PSU >= SU; RT PSU perhaps > SU but not sure you're sorted there yet

i think our putrid offense was why your dfense looked decent- how can a offense that cant get a play in be expected to play as one- our oc lost this game more than your defense won it
in my eyes this game shouldnt have happened- your school doesnt deserve the privilege- sorry i feel that way but i do- one side of your mouths says joe p knew everything that happened on campus and the other says he was just a figure headed feable ole fool who knew nothing-

Sorry you feel that way but I was just talking about the game.

After reading this whole thread I think I need to go take a shower now. Good bye Ped state. Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out and please don't come back! The only question I have is why didn't paterno just make McQueary go away permanently. It would have saved his precious program a lot of trouble.

Not quite the same numbers - we were much better on 3rd down. But we were putrid enough in other spots to prove your point.

Our RB's were better - not by a lot but better.

I'm not sure I'd classify it as a very good first game for Hackenberg. He looked like a high school player when pressured. Threw a bunch of ill-advised passes. I think he has a bright future - but it's going to be a roller coaster this year. Robinson is the real deal. I will say he got his pocket picked by our DB. Needs to hold on the ball. But Reddish may end up in the NFL with him.

Not quite the same numbers - we were much better on 3rd down. But we were putrid enough in other spots to prove your point.

Our RB's were better - not by a lot but better.

I'm not sure I'd classify it as a very good first game for Hackenberg. He looked like a high school player when pressured. Threw a bunch of ill-advised passes. I think he has a bright future - but it's going to be a roller coaster this year. Robinson is the real deal. I will say he got his pocket picked by our DB. Needs to hold on the ball. But Reddish may end up in the NFL with him.

Yeah numbers weren't identical but they were close so I said relatively. Agree to disagree on Hack panicking when he got pressured. From what I saw he only lost his cool twice or thrice and considering how many times he felt the heat I thought it was impressive. On multiple occasions he moved up, or outside of the pocket to escape the blitz. In one case I remember one Orange with a handful of his jersey but he was able to slip him and throw the ball away. Obviously he made a handful of mistakes but the guy graduated HS in June and faced a VERY aggressive defense that gave him multiple looks.

After reading this whole thread I think I need to go take a shower now. Good bye Ped state. Don't let the door hit you in the a** on the way out and please don't come back! The only question I have is why didn't paterno just make McQueary go away permanently. It would have saved his precious program a lot of trouble.

Classy. I think you need to get off this message board and go color.

Lets try this again.

QB Allen/Hunt < Hackenberg/Ferguson. Why? Hackenberg showed why he will be a star.
RB Smith/PTG = Zwinak/Belton. Why? None of the backs had very good games.
WR Robinson+nobody > West+5 guys Why? If Cuse had PSU's nobodies they would have won.
CB Lyn/Reddish/Anderson/Whigham < RFr 1 + RFr 2 w/ MAC offers and no prior PT PSU's CB's were more physical and outplayed the Cuse WRs.
S I'll say = but why did your best CB get moved if you had that much talent returning there?Amos got moved because the backups were too good not to play.
H Back/slot WR Broyld/Estime/RB lined up there = ?. 3rd WR isn't a focal point for you. Lewis (3 WR) had the game winning TD.
DT Bromley + 3/4 < Jones + ?. We've got players here. Jones dominted

Lets try this again.

QB Allen < Hackenberg. Why? Hackenberg made some big plays to go with his mistakes. Both telegraphed picks, both looked green, but yeat Hack showed glimpses of what he can be.
RB Smith > Zwinak. Why? 16 carries 73 yards 2 tds > 24 carries 61 yards 0 td's. Both back up RB's were invisable, both run defenses were solid.
WR Robinson+nobody > West+5 guys Why? If Cuse had PSU's nobodies they would have won. PSU's nobodies did nothing in the first half, much like SU's WR's the entire game. Robinson was the X factor in this game, and hat's off to him for it. Aside from that the other WR's on both sides looked pedestrian. Was Lewis' 54 yard catch better than Kobena's 55 yarder just because he got over the line after he caught it? Was Felder better than Broyld?
CB Lyn/Reddish/Anderson/Whigham < RFr 1 + RFr 2 w/ MAC offers and no prior PT PSU's CB's were more physical and outplayed the Cuse WRs. To be seen but you won they day so can't really argue here right now. I'm not sure our WR's showed anything to challenge the DB's and we had some open guys that we just missed. Did you really think our DB's looked bad aside the one zig zagging Robinson run?
S I'll say = but why did your best CB get moved if you had that much talent returning there? Amos got moved because the backups were too good not to play. We'll see. We didn't throw over the middle the entire game to test him.
TE 4 man crew > Wales (who's good) and Parris unknown. Non story line. Neither unit had an impact
H Back/slot WR Broyld/Estime/RB lined up there = ?. 3rd WR isn't a focal point for you. Lewis (3 WR) had the game winning TD. And our 4th WR had a 55 yard catch. End game, non were big factors.
DT Bromley + 3/4 >/= Jones + ?. We've got players here. Jones dominted as did Bromley, Crume, Raymon, and Zian Jones. SU run game 36 carries 88 yards 2 TD's PSU run game 37 carries 52 yards 0 TD's
DE Barnes + ? = ??. We have no idea what we have and your oline is pretty good. Was Barnes hurt? I was looking for him and in the 2nd half he was on the sideline quite a bit. Welsh had a good day for us with a sack and the INT. All the rest of the DE's played the run well
LB Cuse 6 deep = PSU 2 + 2 deep. Both LB units played well. Both tackled well and swarmed to the ball
Oline LT,LG,C SU = PSU; RG PSU >= SU; RT PSU perhaps > SU but not sure you're sorted there yet RT is where you guys took advantage. not sure why we continued to run right vs left. #7 also came unblocked off the right side and crushed our QB.

End game, I'll say good game and to the victor go the spoils. I love defensive football and have yet to regain my voice from Saturday. Not a fun game to watch for casual fans though. I knew Penn State would be good but I honestly expected SU to be better. I hope your CB's are actually that good because if not our WR's look very very average at best. The 2 biggest factors in my opinion were Robinson and BOB. ARob was the best offensive player on the field by far and on offense PSU was at least organized. Your defense either confused the hell out of our offense or our OC was not prepared to call a game in live action. Hope he gets better but not the best game to be learning on the job. Perhaps we should try opening up with cupcakes from time to time but we apperently love playing B1G teams week 1.

Fun game aside from the outcome. PSU fans were for the most part very nice/hospitable. I have no ill will now that game week is over and wish you guys the best. A few years from now PSU will be back to what you expect them to be. Man did we need this game though. If only that last drive had went differently...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom