Class of 2015 - building credibility | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 building credibility

jgeorge322

Living Legend
i saw some posts indicating displeasure su accepted a commit from a player when su was still in contention for a player higher on the board. i think people are looking at it wrong. the recruitment process is a negotiation. the coaches make an offer eg. a scholarship, an education, parental guidance, etc and recruit has to accept. i think what the coaches intend to show is that supply is limited. it may not result in immediate success but that strategy can build credibility down the road. maybe a player next year doesn't wait too long. im not suggesting a rutgers "take it or leave it" approach is the way to go but you can only wait so long. if you see quotes from the players who have committed, they all say something along the lines "it would take something extraordinary to change my mind." thats because the coaches don't force the kids to commit but ask them to stand by their decision once its made. i negotiate heavily in my line of business and can tell you unequivocally that the coaches strategy is the soundest long term. i think showing displeasure over a commitment is inappropriate, even for a fan board.

People can complain and gripe over things as this is a message board, but the coaches know what they're doing... this is an absolutely crucial part of their job, so they aren't going to half-ass it.

Some of us trust what the staff is doing, others may need some blind faith.

if you see quotes from the players who have committed, they all say something along the lines "it would take something extraordinary to change my mind." thats because the coaches don't force the kids to commit but ask them to stand by their decision once its made.

What's your feeling on the intital quote in that PS article?
"I felt like the best time to commit would be now just because it's more important to have a spot now than to wait too long and lose a spot," Lindor said.

Sounds to me like he was being pressured. (same as Parkinson i would assume)

"I felt like the best time to commit would be now just because it's more important to have a spot now than to wait too long and lose a spot," Lindor said.

Neither was offered yesterday and asked to scramble to make the decision. I think it shows the recruits there is a limited supply. As long as were not misleading, i dont view it as a problem or unethical. Matter of fact, i feel quite rhe opposite. If they didnt inform the recruits spots were filling up, that would be improper.

I think its funny that we bag on Rutgers and UConn when they get verbals from guys with no major offers but when we do it's ok because our coaching staff got to see them first or are better at identifying diamonds in the rough.

Cant have it both ways and if you're going to be critical of other teams doing it you should take a closer look at whats happening in our own backyard.

I think its funny that we bag on Rutgers and UConn when they get verbals from guys with no major offers but when we do it's ok because our coaching staff got to see them first or are better at identifying diamonds in the rough.

Cant have it both ways and if you're going to be critical of other teams doing it you should take a closer look at whats happening in our own backyard.

i dont see how this has anything to do with the topic. the main point is the recruiting strategy of the coaches.

Ozcuse said:
I think its funny that we bag on Rutgers and UConn when they get verbals from guys with no major offers but when we do it's ok because our coaching staff got to see them first or are better at identifying diamonds in the rough. Cant have it both ways and if you're going to be critical of other teams doing it you should take a closer look at whats happening in our own backyard.

Not really. We know our staff and we are fans - ie. that's our reason for taking the optimistic route. If you're saying we're biased - the yep, guilty as charged ;).

We also know Rutgers is a dumpster fire and Flood is on a short leash (or should be). UCONN's staff may be okay - jury's out - but their conference affiliation will hurt them in recruiting. In other words - we're better positioned in recruiting than they are at this point. Another reason for optimism.

I don't think he was being pressured my read in this is as has been said he was on board here a long time ago. I think his commit was excepted this week because either something came out about the other kids being looked at that the staff felt they were heading someplace else. Or this kid was on board and was waiting till after the sparq championship to make it public. That sparq championship changes the recruiting game a lot. A lot of kids commit around that because schools get big names into positions and other schools contact kids more because they know those kids are off the market. They article said someone else committed before battle to the y position maybe this kid was waiting for a specific date

i saw some posts indicating displeasure su accepted a commit from a player when su was still in contention for a player higher on the board. i think people are looking at it wrong. the recruitment process is a negotiation. the coaches make an offer eg. a scholarship, an education, parental guidance, etc and recruit has to accept. i think what the coaches intend to show is that supply is limited. it may not result in immediate success but that strategy can build credibility down the road. maybe a player next year doesn't wait too long. im not suggesting a rutgers "take it or leave it" approach is the way to go but you can only wait so long. if you see quotes from the players who have committed, they all say something along the lines "it would take something extraordinary to change my mind." thats because the coaches don't force the kids to commit but ask them to stand by their decision once its made. i negotiate heavily in my line of business and can tell you unequivocally that the coaches strategy is the soundest long term. i think showing displeasure over a commitment is inappropriate, even for a fan board.

I posted something to this effect on the Skout board last night and definitely think there's something to it. I believe the staff is sending a message to recruits. The message is an SU offer is a valuable one and don't take it for granted (especially local guys who i think sometimes do)-if you're not ready to jump on, we've got others who will be happy to accept it.

The truth in recruiting is-there's only so many scholarships available and if you wait around, your favorite school can fill up. That is an inherent pressure in division 1 recruiting. That's not the same as saying "commit today or we're moving on".

I posted something to this effect on the Skout board last night and definitely think there's something to it. I believe the staff is sending a message to recruits. The message is an SU offer is a valuable one and don't take it for granted (especially local guys who i think sometimes do)-if you're not ready to jump on, we've got others who will be happy to accept it.

thanks for actually commenting on the point being made. it is a long term strategy and not designed to necessarily work the first go around.

The truth in recruiting is-there's only so many scholarships available and if you wait around, your favorite school can fill up. That is an inherent pressure in division 1 recruiting. That's not the same as saying "commit today or we're moving on".

exactly, with all due respect to whitey, he uses pressure in a negative connotation. of course, there is some pressure. however, i dont see the coaches leveraging it in an unethical way. eg. telling a recruit if he visits any other school he's done

thanks for actually commenting on the point being made. it is a long term strategy and not designed to necessarily work the first go around.

It's a pretty risky strategy and makes the assumption the coaching staff will be around to see it through. It also makes the assumption it will actually work where it may do the opposite and turn off players with choices (multiple offers) who do not want to feel pressured to sign early.

People can complain and gripe over things as this is a message board, but the coaches know what they're doing... this is an absolutely crucial part of their job, so they aren't going to half-ass it.

Some of us trust what the staff is doing, others may need some blind faith.

That's a bit simplistic. Should we not complain and gripe over a 4th and inches punt from the opponents 37 yard line because the coaches know what they're doing? I love this staff as much as you but these guys aren't perfect. Zach Allen, Brisley on punts etc, they'll make recruiting mistakes to and it's ok to debate this aspect of their job.

They article said someone else committed before battle to the y position maybe this kid was waiting for a specific date

Yes, I thought about that to. This kid could have been that kid and committed for over month now.

The message is an SU offer is a valuable one and don't take it for granted (especially local guys who i think sometimes do)-if you're not ready to jump on, we've got others who will be happy to accept it.
How is that helpful? They aren't Alabama they are a middle of the road ACC team.

It's a pretty risky strategy and makes the assumption the coaching staff will be around to see it through. It also makes the assumption it will actually work where it may do the opposite and turn off players with choices (multiple offers) who do not want to feel pressured to sign early.

are you arguing the coaches should implement recruiting strategies assuming they are going to get fired? i don't think being a defeatist is what gets you ahead in college football.

That's a bit simplistic. Should we not complain and gripe over a 4th and inches punt from the opponents 37 yard line because the coaches know what they're doing? I love this staff as much as you but these guys aren't perfect. Zach Allen, Brisley on punts etc, they'll make recruiting mistakes to and it's ok to debate this aspect of their job.

At the same time it may be too simplistic, people way overthink these things as well. It's not like we just picked up a 5'7" RB out of Auburn, NY.

are you arguing the coaches should implement recruiting strategies assuming they are going to get fired? i don't think being a defeatist is what gets you ahead in college football.

There are only so many available spots and for each one that is filled there is an opportunity cost. Isn't settling for 2 star kids in July being a defeatist? I can twist what you say too.

because even when rutgirls bags the 4/5 star kids they usually bomb out big time and their best player in years was a Syracuse commit that when gross fired pasqualoni it was a big time gift for the new bottom dwellers

How many unoffered recruits have Rutgers and UCONN offered/had commit to them that have blown up to being a national recruit? The staff has some credo in my opinion.

How is that helpful? They aren't Alabama they are a middle of the road ACC team.

USC was a middle of the road pac-10 team not so long ago. V-Tech were terrible not long ago. Things change.

USC was a middle of the road pac-10 team not so long ago. V-Tech were terrible not long ago. Things change.
Syracuse is not USC.
VT hasn't had a losing season since 1992.

I'm sure you meant Drew Allen...but either way the coaches had their reasons to start with him. Brisely, if I recall correctly, was putting to many balls on the ground in practice and struggled with the playbook. I have no problem with the way he was handled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom