Class of 2016 - C Cheickna Dembele (PA) to UNLV | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 C Cheickna Dembele (PA) to UNLV

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
Syracuse basketball showing interest in Cheickna Dembele, a 2016 center from Mali (PS: Waters)

You won't find Cheickna Dembele's name on many recruiting lists.

But college coaches are finding the 6-foot-10 center who just arrived in the United States last fall from Mali.

In its search for frontcourt help, Syracuse has taken an interest in the fast-rising 2016 prospect at Scotland Performance Institute in Chambersburg, Pa.

Scotland coach Jareem Dowling said SU assistant Gerry McNamara is expected to attend Sunday's game between Scotland and Edison (N.J.) Prep. Dowling said he also expected to have coaches from Providence, North Carolina State, Temple, Cincinnati and St. Joseph's at Sunday's game.

"The word is getting out on him,'' Dowling said Thursday night. "But we're not forcing the issue. He's been here less than six months. We're going to be very methodical with the recruiting process.''

Dowling said Dembele has already received scholarship offers from Iowa State, Missouri, North Carolina State, St. Joseph's, Charlotte and LaSalle.

The list of schools that are now expressing interest is even longer and includes Syracuse, Providence, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Iowa, Georgetown, Connecticut, Temple, Alabama, LSU, Penn State, Florida and Arizona State...

That's a lot of schools after him, but none of the bigboys (Duke/KU/UK etc) yet... looks like NC State was on him early

I would guess that this is the result of Thompson playing things out.
Staff needs to keep options open if they really want to add another big man into the class. Thompson is good, but we're not talking Karl Anthony-Towns in the making here. So the staff is being smart looking at other options, while still keeping tabs on Thompson. Dembele sounds intriguing and I hope the staff gives a look to the big man from St. Benedict's that I had mentioned before as well. Both look to be much better options than Khalif Young, who is definitely not a fit for the program.

Staff needs to keep options open if they really want to add another big man into the class. Thompson is good, but we're not talking Karl Anthony-Towns in the making here. So the staff is being smart looking at other options, while still keeping tabs on Thompson. Dembele sounds intriguing and I hope the staff gives a look to the big man from St. Benedict's that I had mentioned before as well. Both look to be much better options than Khalif Young, who is definitely not a fit for the program.

Great to see you are back at it here Francis! I always appreciate your info.

That kid from St. Benedict's was ahletic as hell. VERY impressive--and a lefty too--would be a great fit in our system.

so possible academic ??s with Sidibe?
I have no idea about what his transcripts are looking like. I know St. Benedict's has a very good rep of getting their players on the right track academically. I'm sure after the Diagne debacle, that the staff if interested will make sure all checks are marked before getting seriously involved.

Sounds like Dembele's recruitment is going to depend almost exclusively on his comfort level with the staff. If his coach is on the mark, he is only going to take a couple of visits. I'm guessing Pitt might be one. Do you know anything about his HS coach, Jareem Dowling? I'm hoping McNamara has a connection from his Scranton days.

BTW, it's GREAT to have you "back" here brother.

Sounds like Dembele's recruitment is going to depend almost exclusively on his comfort level with the staff. If his coach is on the mark, he is only going to take a couple of visits. I'm guessing Pitt might be one. Do you know anything about his HS coach, Jareem Dowling? I'm hoping McNamara has a connection from his Scranton days.

I don't know too much about his coach. What I think will help us here is the African connection that we have. Obviously coming over to a new country away from family and friends, they want to go into an environment that is the most comfortable. BMK was one of the reasons why Chino decided come, and Chino was one of the reasons Chukwu did the same. Having both Chino and Chukwu around, I would assume will make this young man feel comfortable about attending SU, not only B-Ball wise but socially as well. On the flip side, if this is a situation where a handler/guardian has certain intentions for themselves. Then it won't really matter where this young man would want to go.

Couldn't agree more - the board has missed you, Francis!

I don't know too much about his coach. What I think will help us here is the African connection that we have. Obviously coming over to a new country away from family and friends, they want to go into an environment that is the most comfortable. BMK was one of the reasons why Chino decided come, and Chino was one of the reasons Chukwu did the same. Having both Chino and Chukwu around, I would assume will make this young man feel comfortable about attending SU, not only B-Ball wise but socially as well. On the flip side, if this is a situation where a handler/guardian has certain intentions for themselves. Then it won't really matter where this young man would want to go.

If any of these guys mentioned wanted to commit does the staff take them or are they gonna wait on Thompson?

If any of these guys mentioned wanted to commit does the staff take them or are they gonna wait on Thompson?
If SU offers any of these other options and they want to commit, then SU wouldn't hesitate to accept. Thompson is a good player but he's not Jahlil Okafor, that the staff has to wait an eternity on.

This guy appears pretty good, but if we do get him to commit I really hope he qualifies. I know a lot of these African kids are extremely intelligent, often times more intelligent than American players, but for whatever reason the NCAA really scrubs their transcripts with a fine toothed comb it appears. I hope we are doing the same.

This kid plays not a half hour from where I live, but I've never heard of him.

This guy appears pretty good, but if we do get him to commit I really hope he qualifies. I know a lot of these African kids are extremely intelligent, often times more intelligent than American players, but for whatever reason the NCAA really scrubs their transcripts with a fine toothed comb it appears. I hope we are doing the same.
Not more intelligent, more motivated and better parented

image.jpg

Dembele aka Big Foot, will be taking his first visit to St. Joe's tomorrow according to reports. I assume this more about a local/courtesy visit, when considering the bigger names that will be involved here.

No update on Dembele?

Sounded like GMAC wanted to offer him on the spot last week but had to wait for JB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom