Class of 2021 - C Kenny Pohto (KS) Portal from Wichita St | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 C Kenny Pohto (KS) Portal from Wichita St

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
I haven't heard much about him, but hope the staff is at least kicking the tires. I see a LOT of Jesse in his game. Could potentially slide right into a similar role.

First two seasons well ahead of where Jesse was in fact.

Screen Shot 2023-04-18 at 8.37.32 AM.png

The one wrinkle...he's a Swede. The international NIL gremlin may bite us again.

Last edited:
Very nice righty hook. Soft touch and good hands. Little face up game. Not explosive at all.

Not too impressed. Poor rebounder for his size. Not a rim protector. Low FG% for a big guy. Looks to take too many outside shots.

What I do like is his passing ability. He was racking up assist towards the end of the season. Averaging 2.5 a game over his last 13.

Not too impressed. Poor rebounder for his size. Not a rim protector. Low FG% for a big guy. Looks to take too many outside shots.

What I do like is his passing ability. He was racking up assist towards the end of the season. Averaging 2.5 a game over his last 13.

I am comparing him to sophomore Jesse.

I am comparing him to sophomore Jesse.
It’s kinda hard to compare him to Sophomore Jesse being that Jesse barely played his first two years.
But you could always see that he had the potential to be a nice rim protector, play good defense, and be a good rebounder.

This kid is not a rim protector or rebounder.

It’s kinda hard to compare him to Sophomore Jesse being that Jesse barely played his first two years.
But you could always see that he had the potential to be a nice rim protector, play good defense, and be a good rebounder.

Fair take. Look, he's definitely not my first or even 2nd choice on the portal. Just saying if those 2 fall through, I see potential here and he'd immediately be better than anything we have.

Fair take. Look, he's definitely not my first or even 2nd choice on the portal. Just saying if those 2 fall through, I see potential here and he'd immediately be better than anything we have.
Absolutely! Agree with that 100%. We have to have someone to fill the spot. Pohto has enough potential I wouldn’t be too out of sorts if we got him. Wouldn’t be too happy either. But he’s someone who can pass the ball and be way better than Hima and Carey.

I haven't heard much about him, but hope the staff is at least kicking the tires. I see a LOT of Jesse in his game. Could potentially slide right into a similar role.

First two seasons well ahead of where Jesse was in fact.

View attachment 227138

The one wrinkle...he's a Swede. The international NIL gremlin may bite us again.
I dont think this team needs a poor man's Jesse, really...not the profile I would go for if im the staff (without watching any clips of this guy)

We need a physical presence at the 5. Not entirely sure I want another jesse model. We have scorers if Judah’s back. I want boards and physicality with a post game when needed

Not directed at you specifically -- just a question: will Red prioritize centers being rim protectors under the new system?

I mean, ideally a big would erase attempts by blocking shots -- but sometimes big, strong guys can control the paint.

Not that this guy is going to be confused with Mark Bryant or Ontario Lett.

Not directed at you specifically -- just a question: will Red prioritize centers being rim protectors under the new system?

I mean, ideally a big would erase attempts by blocking shots -- but sometimes big, strong guys can control the paint.

Not that this guy is going to be confused with Mark Bryant or Ontario Lett.

We do have a rim protector in Hima. Hopefully he improves his game and can play more minutes. So honestly we don’t necessarily have to have a shot blocker. I’d love to get a big bruising rebounder to pair with Hima as our Centers.

I would love an imposing 5 who can score, block and rebound. Most other schools would as well, and there are few on the portal. I simple am offering Pohto as a potential fallback who I believe has a skillset vaguely reminiscent of a younger Jesse. IS he my top, 2nd, or even top 5 choice in the portal now? No. Would I take him in a heartbeat as a fallback over what we have now? 100%.