Class of 2014 - C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 C Paschal Chukwu (CT) Verballed to Syracuse

brian williams

Scout Team
The other site has SU showing interest in 2014 seven footer Chukwu and ranks him as a top ten center. ESPN has very little on the recruit. Anyone have any knowledge about him?

My expert analysis is, what a cool freaking name. 5 star name for sure.

Very Raw. He moves well for his height. I think he is much like Keita and Oko. He would need to add a lot of weight. No hops mostly length. I did see one video where he had a nice sky hook from about 10 out. He also has a bit of range on his jump shot and, at least now in HS, is a decent FT shooter. He also plays soccer.

Another where he shows a bit more of his "O" face. I do like at minute 1:50 where the "Slim Shady" kid with the goofy hair cut and the goofy Under Armour gets blown by and he looks around like "Who let that be did?". Ahh... children are an interesting/amusing creation sometimes.

after watching the videos.. looks a little too much like sean williams for my taste.. long but seems slow footed..

Just some observations from someone who has seen him for a few years. He was extremely raw as a freshman and sophomore but has made major strides in the past year or so. He has decent touch and is looking more fluid by the day. He is tall but skinny. He reminds me of Thabeet as a freshman, but with better offense and hands. He's also a tad shorter. He is only a junior and if he continues to progress as much as he has in the past year, he could be very good as a senior in high school. He has a ton more upside than Keita, but who knows if he will reach it.

Just some observations from someone who has seen him for a few years. He was extremely raw as a freshman and sophomore but has made major strides in the past year or so. He has decent touch and is looking more fluid by the day. He is tall but skinny. He reminds me of Thabeet as a freshman, but with better offense and hands. He's also a tad shorter. He is only a junior and if he continues to progress as much as he has in the past year, he could be very good as a senior in high school. He has a ton more upside than Keita, but who knows if he will reach it.

Interesting perspective - any thoughts on aggressiveness and playing against competition close to his size? Seems like he could be pushed over with a stiff wind...

Interesting perspective - any thoughts on aggressiveness and playing against competition close to his size? Seems like he could be pushed over with a stiff wind...

I haven't seen him play anyone close to his size. He is quite tall. The tallest player I have seen him play against was 6'5 - 6'7 maybe and not very good (not a D1 talent, IMO). This is not to say he hasn't played anyone taller, just that I haven't seen it. He is fairly aggressive defensively but it's not an adjective I would use to describe his game. He's no Faried, but who is.

The reports of him being raw are accurate but he has improved a lot in the past year and could improve a ton more with the correct coaching. Keita should be his floor, not his ceiling, again, with the correct coaching.

I try not to go crazy over highlight clips and really want to watch a full game of his to have a good feeling for his overall skills. With that said, he looks pretty impressive here and doesn't look as raw as I would have thought.

I try not to go crazy over highlight clips and really want to watch a full game of his to have a good feeling for his overall skills. With that said, he looks pretty impressive here and doesn't look as raw as I would have thought.
Wow, pretty active around the rim!
And just think, he's only a foot or two shorter than our boy Grant. :)
I really like the knack for the basket on the offensive end.

wow this new video is like night and day.. he seems much quicker in reaction time with a nice touch on both the jumper and around the rim. Reminds me a lot of dieng in this video.

Wow. Looks really good in that last video. LULZ at 1:34 guy guarding him 18 feet out goes for the pump fake and Paschal dribbles by the guy for a finger roll.

On one hand he is so much taller than everyone else so its easy to dominate but on the other hand those guys are way smaller than him and he takes them off the dribble with ease. Also had a nice drop step spin move. Good foot work

Paschal "Pikachu" Chukwu.
PicsArt_1366731507104.jpg
The new smoking Jay avatar is hilarious lol.

Perhaps he has been perceived as "raw" and the Sean Williams analogy certainly gives one pause, but the "44" video shows a rather large specimen with some pretty stealth moves and a nice touch for 7'2". Just think back to the offensive prowess of say... a Craig Forth while thinking about Fab Melo's limitations and you can't help but think what a Syracuse team with a proficient 7 footer anchoring the zone would look like.

Hell, Forth could hardly jump but he was a serviceable passer and we know what that 93 team did. I think it's worth keeping a close eye on this kid next year.

Word is UConn, Providence, and St. John's are the frontrunners for his services.

OH hell, yes. That last video ... sign him up. No wonder they're on him. The highlights focus on the put-back jams and the drives. But I also saw a mid-range jumper, excellent timing and lift on low-block defense/rebounding, and a drop-step.

This is a no-brainer - let's just hope that Paschal doesn't meat Paypal.

Wants to play in the d league huh?
Lol. I think once the big boys get to watch him more during the evaluation period next month that things will change. As much as it pains me especially on the UConn front, Ed Cooley and Kevin Ollie have been doing a good job getting the attention of a lot of prospects as of late.