Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 63 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

dasher said:
Doubtful. We won't be looking for a 2 year player at that time.

Why did we attend one of his recent games?

It's not uncommon for a player who goes the JUCO route to reopen his recruitment, but I don't understand that mentality to a certain degree. With Diagne, SU did nothing wrong, right?. The ineligibility issue was out of SU's hands, right? If so, why wouldn't Diagne hold firm in his commitment?

I can just imagine the heartburn if he ends up going to Pitt... of all places.

The kid is just covering his bases. For one thing, it isn't clear whether we'd have a scholarship for him in two years. For another, it is unclear whether we'll actually extend one to him [might not want to take a two year player]. If we don't re-recruit him, then holding firm in his commitment makes no sense.

I too would hate to see him end up at Pitt. My guess is that things will clear up once he hear the outcome / resolution of our appeal of the NCAA sanctions.

It's not uncommon for a player who goes the JUCO route to reopen his recruitment, but I don't understand that mentality to a certain degree. With Diagne, SU did nothing wrong, right?. The ineligibility issue was out of SU's hands, right? If so, why wouldn't Diagne hold firm in his commitment?

I can just imagine the heartburn if he ends up going to Pitt... of all places.

Circumstances change. In two years he may have options that weren't available to him when he accepted Syracuse's offer.

Just because he committed to Syracuse the first time didn't mean it was his "dream situation", just meant that at the time he felt it was his best option among the options available to him. Maybe it was always his dream to play at a school that didn't recruit him the first time around and in two years that school has a scholarship available for him.

it is unclear whether we'll actually extend one to him [might not want to take a two year player]
I find this to be laughable. If a player is a high impact player in this day and age, he's gone after 1 or 2 years anyway.

Circumstances change. In two years he may have options that weren't available to him when he accepted Syracuse's offer.
Please provide an example. What options? Syracuse isn't attractive enough? He's going to blow up in JUCO and PayPal will woo him? Overseas interest?

Please provide an example. What options? Syracuse isn't attractive enough? He's going to blow up in JUCO and PayPal will woo him? Overseas interest?

I don't think it's the only reason, but yeah. Something may come up that Diagne finds more attractive. And it may not make sense to you or me.

I find this to be laughable. If a player is a high impact player in this day and age, he's gone after 1 or 2 years anyway.

Why? We might prefer to chase a HS prospect with that kind of upside with our limited scholarships instead of taking on a JUCO. Or we might land another big in the interim that makes recruiting Diagne unnecessary. Or we might not have enough scholarships to extend to him.

Also, only a very small percentage of players are gone after 1 or 2 years. The rest are there longer. JB might weigh a two year player versus a four year player and decide to go with the younger, four year prospect instead.

see edited reply above.

Specific example. Maybe he goes and plays JUCO in Florida for two years and decides he really doesn't like being in a true winter climate and that he'd be happier somewhere in the south. You really don't see how someone's perspective could be different two years down the road?

We may find that in two years a productive low post scoring juco player might be useful in creating some class balance.

I don't think Diagne being a two-year player would be a problem. The problem comes down to what other players we're going to have at his position(s) at the time he comes in, which is impossible to know right now. Depending on who we grab at PF and C in the next couple years though, there could be more than enough room for Diagne to get big minutes right away. Roberson will be gone and Obokoh will still be the backup to Chukwu in the most likely scenario at this point. The caliber of the PF we pick up next season will make the biggest difference. It will also depend on Lydon's development and whether or not he gradually moves to his more natural position at SF or firmly stays at the PF spot.

edit: or will Obokoh be gone because the year of eligibility he lost?

Update on Zagsblog that Diagne is being recruited by Pitt. Doesn't say for when. I find that interesting.

Looked at his stats for this season. Has had some double figure scoring games but not exactly heating it up with either rebounding or scoring. Not sure how much he would have helped us this year.

orangejunkie said:
Looked at his stats for this season. Has had some double figure scoring games but not exactly heating it up with either rebounding or scoring. Not sure how much he would have helped us this year.

He'd give us a little more strength inside and probably provide about 6-8 points and 5 rebounds a game.

He would have helped, considering the pivot is the team's biggest gap.

It looks like his teams plays the bench nearly as much as the starters. He's putting up 11 and 8 on 54% shooting in 20mpg. So his numbers per 40 minutes are really good (22 and 16). His blocks per game are a little lower than I would expect though. He gets about 1 per game (2 per 40).

It looks like his teams plays the bench nearly as much as the starters. He's putting up 11 and 8 on 54% shooting in 20mpg. So his numbers per 40 minutes are really good (22 and 16). His blocks per game are a little lower than I would expect though. He gets about 1 per game (2 per 40).
At the very least he would provide a little working depth in the post. I'm wondering if by next season he gets here.

At the very least he would provide a little working depth in the post. I'm wondering if by next season he gets here.

Doesn't he have to spend two seasons at Juco? Unless I'm wrong...