Class of 2017 - C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky | Page 64 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 C/PF Moustapha Diagne (NJ) to Western Kentucky

Doesn't he have to spend two seasons at Juco? Unless I'm wrong...
I "thought" that he was short some credits from his high school academic side which would be satified by some JUCO credits. A bit like Marquise Blair who has been forgotten and concluded to be a goner.:noidea:

I "thought" that he was short some credits from his high school academic side which would be satified by some JUCO credits. A bit like Marquise Blair who has been forgotten and concluded to be a goner.:noidea:

Per the NCAA's logic, and infinite wisdom, you have to stay two years at JUCO if you are missing credits for anything more than one class. Nevermind that a semester at a JUCO would give one the opportunity to complete 4 or 5 classes that are inarguably at least equal to high school level courses. That doesn't matter to the NCAA; they want to you earn an associates degree and burn through two years of eligibility because that's totally on the same level as some high school algebra and chemistry (or whatever stupid thing he's missing) classes.

I hate to say it but it should be incumbent upon the coaching staff that they recruit students who do not have a host of issues that could prevent them from enrolling at the University, ergo qualify to play. I would cede that there might be situations which arise where unexpected glitches cause a problem but we have had more than our share of basketball players who had issues with qualifying and staying eligible and in fact their recruitment and subsequent enrollment caused some pretty big problems with the program. Daigne might very well fall into that unexpected glitch category but I also believe the staff was aware that there were some contentious issues in place. Certainly Chris M. leaving early (which should not have been a shocker) contributed to our weakness with big men (duly noted that Chris was a forward and not a Center) but the fact that the staff put it's eggs in the Daigne basket and it not panning out is the primary reason that this years team is flawed.

Last edited:
I hate to say it but it should be incumbent upon the coaching staff that they recruit students who do not have a host of issues that could prevent them from enrolling at the University, ergo qualify to play. I would cede that there might be situations which arise where unexpected glitches cause a problem but we have had more than our share of basketball players who had issues with qualifying and staying eligible and in fact their recruitment and subsequent enrollment caused some pretty big problems with the program. Daigne might very well fall into that unexpected glitch category but I also believe the staff was aware that there were some contentious issues in place. Certainly Chris M. leaving early (which should not have been a shocker) contributed to our weakness with big men (duly noted that Chris was a forward and not a Center) but the fact that the staff put it's eggs in the Daigne basket and it not panning out is the primary reason that this years team is flawed.

I don't know - the process is pretty clear, at least to the extent where it's pretty easy to tell (if you have the kids transcripts) what sort of trouble awaits. I mean, there are situations that arise with courses that were previously approved going under review, but all in all, you should have an idea of what sort of nightmare may await when it comes to academic eligibility.

The big nightmares are always kids with foreign credits - because that stuff is reviewed as it arrives as opposed to any US school where you have a slate of approved courses. If the kids at ANY school, or taking any credits with a school that isn't approved, you know you have your work cut out for you ahead of time...

Certainly Chris M. leaving early (which should not have been a shocker) contributed to our weakness with big men (duly noted that Chris was a forward and not a Center) but the fact that the staff put it's eggs in the Daigne basket and it not panning out is the primary reason that this years team is flawed.
And of course Bryant not coming as well. I think McCullough not coming back was was the first straw, Bryant not coming was the 2nd straw, the NCAA taking scholarships away another straw and the Diange getting screwed over yet another straw. Depending on how the rest of the season goes for DC and TL and CO will depend on if and when there is a final straw.

It's a risk you take with foreign talent. It's a worthwhile risk, imo.

cliftonparksufan said:
Diange getting screwed over

He truly didn't get screwed over.

Last edited:
Brooky03 said:
It's a risk you take with foreign talent. It's a worthwhile risk, imo.

Prior to scholarship limits I agree, after its more risky, strike out and you are scewed

If you can't comment on the details, do you at least know if the staff knew there was a potential issue well in advance -- or did we get jammed.

And of course Bryant not coming as well. I think McCullough not coming back was was the first straw, Bryant not coming was the 2nd straw, the NCAA taking scholarships away another straw and the Diange getting screwed over yet another straw. Depending on how the rest of the season goes for DC and TL and CO will depend on if and when there is a final straw.
Going forward it seems clear or should be to any prospect that offers size and ability that once here,he would be getting a whole lot of PT.

Questionable.

The NCAA clearinghouse were perfectly within their rights to decide that he hadn't fulfilled the core curriculum requirements from a logistical standpoint, but that interpretation is highly subjective--given that he was a foreign / ESL student who'd attended HS in the US for several years, was a non-borderline student, and who achieved a qualified score on the standardized test--again, in his second language. I know that minimum standards are needed, but to disqualify a guy on the basis of course work taken years earlier in a foreign country--yeah, I think it is very easy to make the case that he got screwed over.

RF2044 said:
Questionable. The NCAA clearinghouse were perfectly within their rights to decide that he hadn't fulfilled the core curriculum requirements from a logistical standpoint, but that interpretation is highly subjective--given that he was a foreign / ESL student who'd attended HS in the US for several years, was a non-borderline student, and who achieved a qualified score on the standardized test--again, in his second language. I know that minimum standards are needed, but to disqualify a guy on the basis of course work taken years earlier in a foreign country--yeah, I think it is very easy to make the case that he got screwed over.

Don't believe that was the case.

By that, I mean it had nothing to do with course work.

I'd love to hear your version.

Heard all of the rumors around the end of last summer, but the numbers seem fairly straight forward. Unless of course, the official response was BS. I'm all ears.

I'd love to hear your version.

Heard all of the rumors around the end of last summer, but the numbers seem fairly straight forward. Unless of course, the official response was BS. I'm all ears.
Again, good luck.

Na na na na nah!!!
th

He'll be roommates with Marquis Blair. ;)
In all honesty the whole Marquis Blair story has never to my knowledge been fully explained. there have been more than a team of players that were either committed or very interested in the Orange that have disappear into the "Cloud" and never heard from again. Its like a corn field in Iowa. Blair, Knox Preaster and one or two that I've forgotten.

CaliCuse said:
In all honesty the whole Marquis Blair story has never to my knowledge been fully explained. there have been more than a team of players that were either committed or very interested in the Orange that have disappear into the "Cloud" and never heard from again. Its like a corn field in Iowa. Blair, Knox Preaster and one or two that I've forgotten.

He didn't qualify. He was like 5 courses short.