Class of 2022 - C Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso (CT) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 C Ugonna Kingsley Onyenso (CT)

Always makes the most sense to compare high school kids to the greatest college center of all time. Certainly the most likely outcome. Guess I'm wrong.
I didn’t compare them.

This is a kid you certainly take a chance on...
You immediately see the size, length, and fluidity in the way Ugonna Kingsley moves. The hips are loose, the feet are quick, and the leaping is explosive. On the defensive end, he is a natural. The timing is excellent at the rim and in the passing lanes. He can also fluidly move his feet when he switches onto a perimeter player. His defense is ahead of his offense at this point. At Putnam, they use him a lot from the high-post and elbows as a screener and ball-mover. He has touch but will need to continue developing confidence in the shot. The ball skills and vision will have to continue to tighten, but he runs the floor very well, changing ends at the drop of a time. He finished with double-figure blocks in the second game we watched. The defense is high level.

Yes and Arinze Onuaku was born to Nigerian immigrant parents. Fab was definitely not a beanpole either, in fact he came here overweight some and out of condition in his freshman year. Saying this when we currently have Jesse and Frank is pretty odd. Rony Seikaly was probably our first foreign center. Baye Moussa Keita was a defensive force, good rebounder who could really run the court.
It takes a village

Yes and Arinze Onuaku was born to Nigerian immigrant parents. Fab was definitely not a beanpole either, in fact he came here overweight some and out of condition in his freshman year. Saying this when we currently have Jesse and Frank is pretty odd. Rony Seikaly was probably our first foreign center. Baye Moussa Keita was a defensive force, good rebounder who could really run the court.
This actually kind of is the issue I'm talking about. You were able to come up with 1 per decade that worked out well. 1 of which couldn't catch the ball but was very good on D. Jesse has been excellent this year but wasn't "ready" per the man in charge for 2 years and Frank is averaging 2 points per game more than me and you in year 2 so I certainly wouldn't put him in a group of great centers yet. May get there but if that's where you're setting the bar then our program is worse off then I thought.

This kid may be the 2nd coming but having to use recruits from more than a decade ago try to battle my beanpole point is actually reinforcing my point, not making an argument against it.

Looks like they are moving on from Kante or dont feel confident he's coming to visit

New Schools entering the mix for composite four-star Papa Kante

And yes Chugg, I dont get why they always want them skinny, its just weird at this point
It’s not that they want them skinny; it’s about lateral quickness to guard to rim then move quickly to guard the wing shooters and there isn’t an abundance of thicker players to recruit with those attributes!

It’s not that they want them skinny; it’s about lateral quickness to guard to rim then move quickly to guard the wing shooters and there isn’t an abundance of thicker players to recruit with those attributes!
Right but when your winning percentage for the last 8 years is under .600, you might want to change what you focus on in your evaluations. Fair to say it hasnt been working that great lately.

I never feel confident when we target PSA guys. Seems like they are always steered elsewhere. Hopefully this one changes that narrative.

Right but when your winning percentage for the last 8 years is under .600, you might want to change what you focus on in your evaluations. Fair to say it hasnt been working that great lately.
Tell Coach Boeheim, not me! I’m not defending him just saying that when your stuck on a 2-3 defense or some version of that; your stuck with limited options!

Always makes the most sense to compare high school kids to the greatest college center of all time. Certainly the most likely outcome. Guess I'm wrong.
You’re wrong, but not for that reason.

You want Jack Cooley or Luke Harangody type?
I'd be out of my mind happy to have anything approaching Harangody. 4 year career average of 19.2 and 9.5 over 120 games.

When he announces his decision, I want him to jump out of the trunk of a Mercedes waving a crowbar and wearing a Cuse hat.

It matters because they don't grow up playing or watching basketball and don't have the mental or physical repetitions to make an impact for multiple years. Tried to quantify it by saying that every person is different but we're on a message board so people will try to ignore certain things just to disagree.

Bottom line is I just want a damn physical center that can play basketball. Recruiting for the zone with only 7 foot skinny, foreign centers and combo guards that aren't actual point guards is a large part of the reason for our decline.
How do you know this? The entire world watches American Basketball at it’s highest level; it’s called the NBA. Plus countries all over the world higher experienced quality coaches to coach their young players with potential which this player has!

While understanding that every kid is different, I'm pretty tired of going after 7 foot non-American projects that have little to no actual basketball experience. Seems like these kids have about a 1 in 3 chance of turning into anything and that's after 2-3 years.

Can't explain how much more I would prefer a 6'9, 6'10 chubby kid with a buzzcut from middle America like the dudes Notre Dame always finds that end up mashing our guys down low.
So you’re more into the Ernie Seibert type

Plus, do you know who Mike Brown is?
He is the Associate Head Coach for The Golden State Warriors of the NBA plus the Head of Nigerian Basketball. So Ugonna has been coached by very knowledgeable coaches!

How do you know this? The entire world watches American Basketball at it’s highest level; it’s called the NBA. Plus countries all over the world higher experienced quality coaches to coach their young players with potential which this player has!
You're offering nothing at all but generalities and guesses. Do yourself a favor and go read the recruiting and commitment articles about Fab(9th grade), Baye(14), Obokoh(14), Sidibe(12) Jesse(12), JBA(15), Frank(14). I've actually done the work for you and included the ages that they started playing basketball. The rest of the world grows up playing soccer and other sports and once they start to become absurdly tall, some are lucky enough to get pointed towards basketball.

You're offering nothing at all but generalities and guesses. Do yourself a favor and go read the recruiting and commitment articles about Fab(9th grade), Baye(14), Obokoh(14), Sidibe(12) Jesse(12), JBA(15), Frank(14). I've actually done the work for you and included the ages that they started playing basketball. The rest of the world grows up playing soccer and other sports and once they start to become absurdly tall, some are lucky enough to get pointed towards basketball.
Thank you Nostradamus; I always appreciate hearing from a soothsayer about how a player will turn out, in college, who has yet to play in college!

Last edited:

Interesting read.

I’m sorry - I don’t care that JB and anybody else says this is “one of the best classes in program history”.

Boeheim says things. :rolleyes:

It’s isn’t.

Not even remotely so.

I could pretty easily list at least half a dozen other classes that blow this one away.

It might not even be in the top 10 of the Boeheim era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom