Call me a Jerk | Syracusefan.com

Call me a Jerk

AlaskaSU

Build a dorm, burn the locker rm. upgrade the dome
Why did Coyle leave Boise after only 3 years? Do we care if he leaves here at the drop of a hat?

upload_2015-6-24_1-11-15.jpeg

Why did Coyle leave Boise after only 3 years? Do we care if he leaves here at the drop of a hat?
He was never going to win a national championship in football and never going to build Boise into a basketball power. He had already done everything he could do there (get to a BCS bowl).

He has a far higher ceiling at Syracuse that he did at Boise.

Being part of a BCS conference with a school that has won national championships in football and basketball is a big deal.

Playing a key role in a $250 million project to renovate one of college athletics most famous athletic facilities is a big deal.

He has a chance to do some special things at Syracuse that he could never have done at Boise. I don't blame him for leaving and if he couldn't see the potential of Syracuse, I wouldn't want him here.

If he leaves for a better job that would imply Coyle has done a good job. If he has done a good job then I don't mind a person going to a better job. Syracuse AD is job is probably a top 30ish in the nation if a better j0b came up I am sure he would consider it and Syracuse would select a new AD.
Just sit back and let Coyle do his job and if he does well I am sure other schools would have an interest.

If he leaves for a better job that would imply Coyle has done a good job. If he has done a good job then I don't mind a person going to a better job. Syracuse AD is job is probably a top 30ish in the nation if a better j0b came up I am sure he would consider it and Syracuse would select a new AD.
Just sit back and let Coyle do his job and if he does well I am sure other schools would have an interest.

Exactly how I feel. I wouldn't want him to leave if he's doing so well that other schools are looking at him, but it's better than the alternative.

Yes, this exactly. Nobody came and grabbed TGD after 10 years. If Coyle is pulled away after 3-5 years than Cuse is definitely better off. I'll take that everyday of the week.

Why did Coyle leave Boise after only 3 years?

Because he wants to prove people wrong who say "The football program is broken. It got us into the ACC and for that I am thankful, but beyond that it is a typical bottom feeder."
::wink/smiley face::

Last edited:
He was never going to win a national championship in football

Never might be too strong of a word - Boise State missed playing for the national title by the slimmest of margins in 2010.

Eric15 said:
Never might be too strong of a word - Boise State missed playing for the national title by the slimmest of margins in 2010.
Things are different now. Boise will never win a national championship in football. Not with the current setup. Not fair to be sure but the BCS conferences don't care about that.

At least in my opinion.

I would argue Syracuse is better than 30. Just an argument, and football is obviously down (and has been for a number of years). But very few schools in the United States have the potential to field Top 25 football & basketball programs. Not to mention lacrosse.

I would argue Syracuse is better than 30. Just an argument, and football is obviously down (and has been for a number of years). But very few schools in the United States have the potential to field Top 25 football & basketball programs. Not to mention lacrosse.

That's what I loved about 1987 - 1998. While some seasons were better than others, they were all at least solid. We were one of the few schools that could legitimately look forward to both basketball and football season each year.

Summary:
1) Syracuse has a better chance of winning a football NC.
2) $
3)Syracuse is more prestigious
4)Syracuse has more potential

#1 is crazy talk.
#2 simply means that he is gone at the drop of a buck. We are not a high payer.
#3 we have a richer history. The Boise football program is light years ahead of us and their BBall team, if I'm not mistaken, made the ncaa's last year, while we would have been in the NIT. History, not likely the reason for his move.
#4 Not at all clear cut. True, we are in a P-5 conf, but our football isn't about to play for a NC, and basketball is under a cloud.

My due diligence would have been to dig deeper. I'm not saying that there are any skeletons, but it would be naïve to not ask questions. Boise is not chopped liver. Their basketball has just become competitive but football rules in the west and Idaho has a nice lifestyle and Boise is not a bad place to be. Three years is not very long. Just saying...

Do not underestimate the value of consistency, especially when we do not have deep pockets compared to our competitors. We will not be getting consistency with Coyle. He is a short timer.

Perhaps my question is just jerkiness. On the other hand, I'm surprised that no one has expressed the least bit of concern about his short tenure at Boise. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Summary:
1) Syracuse has a better chance of winning a football NC.
2) $
3)Syracuse is more prestigious
4)Syracuse has more potential

#1 is crazy talk.
#2 simply means that he is gone at the drop of a buck. We are not a high payer.
#3 we have a richer history. The Boise football program is light years ahead of us and their BBall team, if I'm not mistaken, made the ncaa's last year, while we would have been in the NIT. History, not likely the reason for his move.
#4 Not at all clear cut. True, we are in a P-5 conf, but our football isn't about to play for a NC, and basketball is under a cloud.

My due diligence would have been to dig deeper. I'm not saying that there are any skeletons, but it would be naïve to not ask questions. Boise is not chopped liver. Their basketball has just become competitive but football rules in the west and Idaho has a nice lifestyle and Boise is not a bad place to be. Three years is not very long. Just saying...

Do not underestimate the value of consistency, especially when we do not have deep pockets compared to our competitors. We will not be getting consistency with Coyle. He is a short timer.

Perhaps my question is just jerkiness. On the other hand, I'm surprised that no one has expressed the least bit of concern about his short tenure at Boise. Time will tell.

#1 - No team in the MWC will ever win a national championship, as it is constructed now. Ever. It's impossible. A team in the ACC, no matter what you think of it right now, does have a chance to win a NC. That, simply put, is not crazy talk. Boise State had two losses last year - one to a Mississippi team that was ranked #1 in the country for a period of time. They finished 20th in the rankings, behind teams with 3 & 4 losses in the college football playoff standings. They will need the #3 & 4 teams to have 2 losses and to go undefeated to even be considered for the final four. Even if they went undefeated last year I think there would have been a case made that they didn't deserve to be in the final four.

#2 - Did you listen to his interviews? He said he told his family there was likely going to be "one more move" - to a power conference school. He made that move. These jobs don't come open often - and the ones that will pay more than SU come open even less often. You have a false sense of what Syracuse University's place in intercollegiate athletics is.

#3 - Not even worth my time arguing with you on this point. Boise State's football program was 1-AA until 1996. In 1996, Syracuse University's football team had been playing at the highest of levels for over 100 years. Our football program has been down lately, but name me one high profile program in the country that hasn't gone through a down period. You'll have a tough time finding one. And the fact that you use a one-year snapshot of the basketball program comparison is laughable. Boise State is not even close to Syracuse when it comes to basketball.

#4 - If you can't see the changes that are being made at Syracuse that are showing what potential it has, you must have a tough time seeing. The indoor practice facility, the upcoming renovations to the Carrier Dome, the influx of money from the ACC multimedia deals. I could go on. Boise State is a very good mid-major program that has elevated its football team to major status and its basketball team has had a nice couple of years. But please don't tell me it has more potential athletically than a school in the same conference as Florida State, Clemson, Miami and the rest.

SUFan44 said:
#1 - No team in the MWC will ever win a national championship, as it is constructed now. Ever. It's impossible. A team in the ACC, no matter what you think of it right now, does have a chance to win a NC. That, simply put, is not crazy talk. Boise State had two losses last year - one to a Mississippi team that was ranked #1 in the country for a period of time. They finished 20th in the rankings, behind teams with 3 & 4 losses in the college football playoff standings. They will need the #3 & 4 teams to have 2 losses and to go undefeated to even be considered for the final four. Even if they went undefeated last year I think there would have been a case made that they didn't deserve to be in the final four.

#2 - Did you listen to his interviews? He said he told his family there was likely going to be "one more move" - to a power conference school. He made that move. These jobs don't come open often - and the ones that will pay more than SU come open even less often. You have a false sense of what Syracuse University's place in intercollegiate athletics is.

#3 - Not even worth my time arguing with you on this point. Boise State's football program was 1-AA until 1996. In 1996, Syracuse University's football team had been playing at the highest of levels for over 100 years. Our football program has been down lately, but name me one high profile program in the country that hasn't gone through a down period. You'll have a tough time finding one. And the fact that you use a one-year snapshot of the basketball program comparison is laughable. Boise State is not even close to Syracuse when it comes to basketball.

#4 - If you can't see the changes that are being made at Syracuse that are showing what potential it has, you must have a tough time seeing. The indoor practice facility, the upcoming renovations to the Carrier Dome, the influx of money from the ACC multimedia deals. I could go on. Boise State is a very good mid-major program that has elevated its football team to major status and its basketball team has had a nice couple of years. But please don't tell me it has more potential athletically than a school in the same conference as Florida State, Clemson, Miami and the rest.

Excellent summary.

It's amazing to me that with our incredible history, countless legendary wins, players and coaches, a seat at the P5 table in the perfect conference for us...that with all that people still have an inferiority complex and wonder why anyone would leave Boise(!) for Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom