Call me a Jerk | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Call me a Jerk

Excellent summary.

It's amazing to me that with our incredible history, countless legendary wins, players and coaches, a seat at the P5 table in the perfect conference for us...that with all that people still have an inferiority complex and wonder why anyone would leave Boise(!) for Syracuse.
How long has he been looking to leave Boise? Why such a short tenure at Boise?

The trouble with these internet discussions is that people use straw man arguments. I agreed that we have a more prestigious history than Boise. I also agree that Boise is being frozen out of a NC in football. However, given the talent pools, they are likely to remain top 20 and we are likely to not be top 20. Being in the same conf. as FSU and Clemson is not going to make us any better than being in the beast made Rutgers better. Money helps, but not unless we get more money than other ACC teams, and that is not happening. Our football recruiting is improving but we have holes to fill, like defensive line. It's harder to recover a football program than a basketball program. Too many moving parts in football. I no longer follow football very closely, but our most consistent pipeline seems to be in getting players from someone else's turf, namely Florida.

It's not at all clear that we are about to become a top 20 football team. Our basketball team will probably carryon but there are major uncertainties. We have not landed a recruit since the penalties were announced. Syracuse is a good job but our overall situation is less than ideal. Given the short tenure at Boise, a big fish in a small pond, my question is whether the situation is such that he is coming here because he had to. I'm just throwing that out as a possibility. His tenure was 3 years but if you count time when he might have been looking to leave, his tenure was Less Than Three Years. It seems that this does not set off any warning bells in anyone else, so I'll drop it.

SU is a way way better AD job than Boise, but Boise's football program is light years ahead of us. We haven't been ranked in a dozen years or so, and they've won 3-4 BCS games in that span.

After football though, there's no comparison imo. Bigger salary, bigger budget, greater exposure, greater access to decision makers, more stability, etc...

Summary:
1) Syracuse has a better chance of winning a football NC.
2) $
3)Syracuse is more prestigious
4)Syracuse has more potential

#1 is crazy talk.
#2 simply means that he is gone at the drop of a buck. We are not a high payer.
#3 we have a richer history. The Boise football program is light years ahead of us and their BBall team, if I'm not mistaken, made the ncaa's last year, while we would have been in the NIT. History, not likely the reason for his move.
#4 Not at all clear cut. True, we are in a P-5 conf, but our football isn't about to play for a NC, and basketball is under a cloud.

My due diligence would have been to dig deeper. I'm not saying that there are any skeletons, but it would be naïve to not ask questions. Boise is not chopped liver. Their basketball has just become competitive but football rules in the west and Idaho has a nice lifestyle and Boise is not a bad place to be. Three years is not very long. Just saying...

Do not underestimate the value of consistency, especially when we do not have deep pockets compared to our competitors. We will not be getting consistency with Coyle. He is a short timer.

Perhaps my question is just jerkiness. On the other hand, I'm surprised that no one has expressed the least bit of concern about his short tenure at Boise. Time will tell.
mountain-or-molehill-1024x765.jpg

The trouble with these internet discussions is that people use straw man arguments. I agreed that we have a more prestigious history than Boise. I also agree that Boise is being frozen out of a NC in football. However, given the talent pools, they are likely to remain top 20 and we are likely to not be top 20. Being in the same conf. as FSU and Clemson is not going to make us any better than being in the beast made Rutgers better. Money helps, but not unless we get more money than other ACC teams, and that is not happening. Our football recruiting is improving but we have holes to fill, like defensive line. It's harder to recover a football program than a basketball program. Too many moving parts in football. I no longer follow football very closely, but our most consistent pipeline seems to be in getting players from someone else's turf, namely Florida.

It's not at all clear that we are about to become a top 20 football team. Our basketball team will probably carryon but there are major uncertainties. We have not landed a recruit since the penalties were announced. Syracuse is a good job but our overall situation is less than ideal. Given the short tenure at Boise, a big fish in a small pond, my question is whether the situation is such that he is coming here because he had to. I'm just throwing that out as a possibility. His tenure was 3 years but if you count time when he might have been looking to leave, his tenure was Less Than Three Years. It seems that this does not set off any warning bells in anyone else, so I'll drop it.
Bud, is that you?

i don't get why people get upset when someone leaves for what they perceive to be a better opportunity. It's business. Simple as that. I think this may be a generational thing, i'm not sure, but there is no such thing as loyalty anymore. The last decade or so has proven that.

We may be overlooking a much more basic reason why he left Boise State. He replaced Gene Bleymaier who had been AD for 29 years and installed the smurf turf. The damn athletic center is named after him. Bleymaier was fired after an academic scandal there and Coyle was brought in to straighten out the mess.

The new Boise State AD is Curt Apsey, who is Bleymaier's friend and assistant for 13 years. I don't believe the Coyle was ever truly accepted at Boise State and knew he had to get out of there. It's tough to follow a legend. Frank Maloney had to follow Ol' Ben. He could have lost only 1-2 games a year and would never have been accepted here. When Jim Boeheim retires, good luck to his replacement if it's anyone else than Mike Hopkins!

In an ironic postscript, Bleymaier is now the AD at San Jose State where the Defensive Coordinator is....... (wait for it)....... Greg Robinson. :rolling:

questioning why someone would leave boise freakin state to take a job at SYRACUSE is quite possibly the most negative and detrimental post in the history of this board.

where are the no-no-negative nancys on this??

still have their panties all knotted up in the...' the OC is untested and things may not work out' thread???

puh-fukin-leez

KaiserUEO said:
questioning why someone would leave boise freakin state to take a job at SYRACUSE is quite possibly the most negative and detrimental post in the history of this board. where are the no-no-negative nancys on this?? still have their panties all knotted up in the...' the OC is untested and things may not work out' thread??? puh-fukin-leez

I gotcha positivity right here, bud.

questioning why someone would leave boise freakin state to take a job at SYRACUSE is quite possibly the most negative and detrimental post in the history of this board.

where are the no-no-negative nancys on this??

still have their panties all knotted up in the...' the OC is untested and things may not work out' thread???

puh-fukin-leez

Agreed. Our recruiting is probably devastated now. Shame.

BECAUSE A P5 JOB AT A PRESTIGIOUS SCHOOL CAME OPEN.

Good lord. It' not rocket surgery here.

God forbid someone ambitious looks for upward movement in his career. Let's question why he didn't stay at the school that will never, ever, ever have a seat at the table*.

*I say this as someone with a soft spot for Boise. I've enjoyed watching them the same way I've always enjoyed watching Gonzaga in basketball. Gonzaga will never have a seat at the table either, and is also beneath Syracuse and always will be.

If he turns Syracuse around and does good here and a bigger school comes calling for him, by all means he can go!! Tip your cap to him, thank him and wish him the best.
Exactly. He's not getting a "bigger" P5 job without turning football around. If he does that, then by all means, wish him well and let him have his continued success and rapid ascent up the ladder to Alabama or wherever.

Exactly. He's not getting a "bigger" P5 job without turning football around. If he does that, then by all means, wish him well and let him have his continued success and rapid ascent up the ladder to Alabama or wherever.
I suspect that Kentucky is where he'd like to return to.

Here's hoping he gets the Dome & football back in shape.

Bud, is that you?

Or maybe Cohen is in town just for old time's sake, tilting a few with his bud Bud. Or... or... Could it be our other buddy Sal Slime-een?

Summary:
1) Syracuse has a better chance of winning a football NC.
2) $
3)Syracuse is more prestigious
4)Syracuse has more potential

#1 is crazy talk.
#2 simply means that he is gone at the drop of a buck. We are not a high payer.
#3 we have a richer history. The Boise football program is light years ahead of us and their BBall team, if I'm not mistaken, made the ncaa's last year, while we would have been in the NIT. History, not likely the reason for his move.
#4 Not at all clear cut. True, we are in a P-5 conf, but our football isn't about to play for a NC, and basketball is under a cloud.

My due diligence would have been to dig deeper. I'm not saying that there are any skeletons, but it would be naïve to not ask questions. Boise is not chopped liver. Their basketball has just become competitive but football rules in the west and Idaho has a nice lifestyle and Boise is not a bad place to be. Three years is not very long. Just saying...

Do not underestimate the value of consistency, especially when we do not have deep pockets compared to our competitors. We will not be getting consistency with Coyle. He is a short timer.

Perhaps my question is just jerkiness. On the other hand, I'm surprised that no one has expressed the least bit of concern about his short tenure at Boise. Time will tell.
Unlike

Just 5 more days until this becomes the worst thread of June 2015. Congrats!

Or maybe Cohen is in town just for old time's sake, tilting a few with his bud Bud. Or... or... Could it be our other buddy Sal Slime-een?
Cohen's in the ATL with me and is a fine guy.

Cohen's in the ATL with me and is a fine guy.
I'm sure he's a fine guy. But when he was here, he had a lot more 'hatchet' in him than 'puff piece', that's for sure.

I'm glad he is fine there, but maybe you forgot how well-loved he was here?
I just realized that we're talking about different Cohens.

I was referring to Dave Cohen, the former SU play-by-play announcer. You were likely referring to the Cohen who is a Yukon homer and used to spew his nonsense via syracuse.com.

My bad. So many Cohens...

I was referring to Dave Cohen, the former SU play-by-play announcer. You were likely referring to the Cohen who is a Yukon homer and used to spew his nonsense via syracuse.com.

I think I sold Dave's son a suit when I worked at the J Riggings in the Cumberland Mall in Vinings/Marietta. Also met Shawn Respert and Andruw Jones there. Who knew that it would be such a hot bed of activity!

Ah, gotcha. Always liked Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom