Calling All Syracuse Fans | Syracusefan.com

Calling All Syracuse Fans

UnknownOrange

2023 Cali Award Winner Points Scored
I am personally challenging the Football Board.

For those of you who don't know what I do I'm here to offer a quick background. My goals for this job are to bring people out in group settings (20 or more), mini-plans (3 Game Plan w/ FSU), and season tickets.

Finding traditional groups in an essence is simple. Businesses in Syracuse, Youth Sports, My Teacher's Link, Hospital employees, Friend Groups, etc.

Mini-Plan Buyers are tougher to find but the idea, again, is simple. Anyone who came to the Dome in the past few years without a mini plan, group, or season ticket. If they came out to two or more games they are the target for a mini-plan or maybe a full season.

However finding potential season ticket holders is difficult. I have gone through lists since 2007 of former STH to try and find the right people who would be interested in full season tickets. They could be 22 year old kids just out of college or 75 year old men. There is no "true demographic" for STH. This is why I need your help and I am challenging the board.

I have read on post numerous times that "The seats next to me are always empty" or that "We need to get more people here" and this is the way to do it.

The thinking behind this initiative is that there are hundreds of you, if not thousands of you on the board. If you all knew a few people who may be interested the number of season ticket holders can be exponential.

My challenge to you all is simple. Direct potential season ticket holders to me via email ( drbartle @ syr dot edu ) or my office number - 315-314-6756. Have them mention SyracuseFan.com and I'll know why they are calling. Even if they wanted a mini-plan or a group option.

My main goal is to get people here for every single game. If we can muster up a huge response from this then you have my word there will be a reward. Of course, I am not sure what it is you guys would want if anything. However if there is something that I can do don't hesitate to comment below and ask/tell me.

Besides, if you were a season ticket holder, wouldn't it be nice to actually have a say in who is sitting next to you for years to come? Wouldn't that make games and the experience more enjoyable? Let's make this a collective effort so you can help me in saying "We helped restore Syracuse Football"

Thanks, Guys.

Dan Bartlett - Account Executive
http://cuse.com/staff.aspx?staff=428

I know this board is responsible for many newbies to take the plunge. Keep the $99 and $125 season tickets options available. Great way for folks to dip their toes in the water to see if they like it.

Not sure if you can share this: how many season ticket holders reside in Florida, NC, VA and Texas?

I know this board is responsible for many newbies to take the plunge. Keep the $99 and $125 season tickets options available. Great way for folks to dip their toes in the water to see if they like it.

Not sure if you can share this: how many season ticket holders reside in Florida, NC, VA and Texas?

$99 & $125 aren't going anywhere. That option is ripe for the taking.

It's not something I know without research but I can tell you - wee'd love to have more from NY

This is a random thought and something I haven't mentioned before... What about selling blocks of tickets to the fraternities/sororities and getting some sort of competitive thing going with them? I know some of these guys have student tickets anyway...but there must be something to be done there to generate more student involvement in football. tie it in with powderpuff or something, winning teams get to play the real Su squad. I don't know. something stupid and fun.

This is a random thought and something I haven't mentioned before... What about selling blocks of tickets to the fraternities/sororities and getting some sort of competitive thing going with them? I know some of these guys have student tickets anyway...but there must be something to be done there to generate more student involvement in football. tie it in with powderpuff or something, winning teams get to play the real Su squad. I don't know. something stupid and fun.

I had that random thought last season as well. It's a good idea we just have to get them on board which is on our to-do list with them and their alumni

I had that random thought last season as well. It's a good idea we just have to get them on board which is on our to-do list with them and their alumni

this is not PC - but focus on getting the two best looking sororities on board, one jewish one not, and you'll be 3/4 of the way there.

I found this article from June 2013 on AzStU increased ticket sales and will break down each point one by one:

Several factors likely have contributed to the increased interest, including:

On-field success. The Sun Devils last season exceeded expectations in coach Todd Graham’s first season, winning eight games and contending in the Pac-12 South. They also played with more discipline, going from the worst in the country in penalty yards per game in 2011 to best in the Pac-12 last season.

There is no doubt there is evidence of on the field success, after starting pretty rocky last Shafer righted the ship and took us to our 3rd bowl game in 4 years. However this doesn't change the perception amongst some of the local fanbase that we are still a punching bag. P's losses to Rutgers and Temple, Grob's losses to everyone, and the blowout losses to GT, Clemson and FSU last year are what people still remember. That's not fair, but it's reality. When I talk to people about coming to a game that is what gets talked about. I don't know how to change that perception without a major victory against a Clemson, FSU, ND AND no blowouts. Again I say this isn't fair, just reality from those around me.

Customer service. ASU has worked with the Disney Institute to help improve its game-day experience.

Personally I don't have too many gripes other than the magic wanders outside the gates. It's always hit or miss on how long it will take. First game last year was awful. It always gets better but first impressions are lasting ones. I don't care if it's an FCS team, it shouldn't take 30 minutes in line and missing half of the first quarter to get checked. SU knows how many people will be attending, sure there is walk up sales or whatever but they still know. Imagine I was to take in just one game last year and it was that one, I'd think it takes 30 minutes to get in the Dome every time and I might not want to deal with that if I wasn't a diehard fan.

Home schedule. This season’s slate is top notch with Wisconsin, USC, Washington, Oregon State and rival Arizona all visiting Sun Devil Stadium.
“And the Notre Dame announcement helped, too, to be honest with you,” Harris said.
On April 5, Notre Dame attempted to cancel a 2014 game against the Sun Devils in Tempe. ASU fought Notre Dame, threatening a lawsuit, and eventually saved the contest, producing a sense of pride among its fans

Makes me wonder why we are going to MetLife every year. Make no mistake, alot of people are upset that USC was an away/neutral and ND is at MetLife too. It's 5 hours from Syracuse, almost as close as going to see us play Pitt or BC. It's a ROAD game and at best a 50/50 crowd split. I realize Gross has his reasons however when I see ASU suing the almighty it makes me wonder why I'm watching these home games on ESPN while Gross is counting gate receipts. ASU's fans feel like the AD cares and went to the mat for them to keep that game. Gross sells out as soon as he thinks he might make an extra buck. Problem is people recognize loyalty and Gross isn't showing the same loyalty to the fan base as he is his resume and the almighty dollar. I bet you'd have more season ticket holders this year if ND was a true home game. I'd bet you could sell alot more mini-plans with a 2nd option such as 3 game plan with either ND or FSU as the marquee game. Sure Gross might be making a few extra dollars and some marketing bump from going down there but he'd get alot more loyal local fan base by keeping games here. I am a diehard so I care no matter what, but those who aren't see his actions as not caring about the fan base. "If he doesn't care, then why should I?".

I'd like to finish this post by thanking you for your efforts. I do just about anything I can to convince people I know to go, it's not easy and you have your work cut out for you.

I found this article from June 2013 on AzStU increased ticket sales and will break down each point one by one:

Several factors likely have contributed to the increased interest, including:

On-field success. The Sun Devils last season exceeded expectations in coach Todd Graham’s first season, winning eight games and contending in the Pac-12 South. They also played with more discipline, going from the worst in the country in penalty yards per game in 2011 to best in the Pac-12 last season.

There is no doubt there is evidence of on the field success, after starting pretty rocky last Shafer righted the ship and took us to our 3rd bowl game in 4 years. However this doesn't change the perception amongst some of the local fanbase that we are still a punching bag. P's losses to Rutgers and Temple, Grob's losses to everyone, and the blowout losses to GT, Clemson and FSU last year are what people still remember. That's not fair, but it's reality. When I talk to people about coming to a game that is what gets talked about. I don't know how to change that perception without a major victory against a Clemson, FSU, ND AND no blowouts. Again I say this isn't fair, just reality from those around me.
Customer service. ASU has worked with the Disney Institute to help improve its game-day experience.

Personally I don't have too many gripes other than the magic wanders outside the gates. It's always hit or miss on how long it will take. First game last year was awful. It always gets better but first impressions are lasting ones. I don't care if it's an FCS team, it shouldn't take 30 minutes in line and missing half of the first quarter to get checked. SU knows how many people will be attending, sure there is walk up sales or whatever but they still know. Imagine I was to take in just one game last year and it was that one, I'd think it takes 30 minutes to get in the Dome every time and I might not want to deal with that if I wasn't a diehard fan.
Home schedule. This season’s slate is top notch with Wisconsin, USC, Washington, Oregon State and rival Arizona all visiting Sun Devil Stadium.
“And the Notre Dame announcement helped, too, to be honest with you,” Harris said.
On April 5, Notre Dame attempted to cancel a 2014 game against the Sun Devils in Tempe. ASU fought Notre Dame, threatening a lawsuit, and eventually saved the contest, producing a sense of pride among its fans

Makes me wonder why we are going to MetLife every year. Make no mistake, alot of people are upset that USC was an away/neutral and ND is at MetLife too. It's 5 hours from Syracuse, almost as close as going to see us play Pitt or BC. It's a ROAD game and at best a 50/50 crowd split. I realize Gross has his reasons however when I see ASU suing the almighty it makes me wonder why I'm watching these home games on ESPN while Gross is counting gate receipts. ASU's fans feel like the AD cares and went to the mat for them to keep that game. Gross sells out as soon as he thinks he might make an extra buck. Problem is people recognize loyalty and Gross isn't showing the same loyalty to the fan base as he is his resume and the almighty dollar. I bet you'd have more season ticket holders this year if ND was a true home game. I'd bet you could sell alot more mini-plans with a 2nd option such as 3 game plan with either ND or FSU as the marquee game. Sure Gross might be making a few extra dollars and some marketing bump from going down there but he'd get alot more loyal local fan base by keeping games here. I am a diehard so I care no matter what, but those who aren't see his actions as not caring about the fan base. "If he doesn't care, then why should I?".

I'd like to finish this post by thanking you for your efforts. I do just about anything I can to convince people I know to go, it's not easy and you have your work cut out for you.

That's a great article to pull from.

On field success is a no-brainer as you all know. If HCSS and the boys went undefeated this season I think you all could guess how my job would be going next season.

Customer Service is something every company everywhere will work to improve day-to-day. I think the customer's experience is what we target. Giving the dome upgrades and offering more concessions options to name a few will help but you are right, accessibility in and out of the dome is always something we can improve upon.

As far as MetLife goes it's a slippery slope. There are arguments for it one way or the other. I've read a lot of posts about your feelings about ND and I get the idea they aren't liked too much around here huh? That to me is why the LSU announcement is huge. Having Clemson and LSU in 2015 will spark the interest.

I definitely have my work cut out for me but that is why I am here. I say it time and again but I'll reach out to whoever, wherever, whenever, to get butts in seats at the Carrier Dome for football. If I reach out to 1000 people and fall on my face so be it. I at least want people to know I am passionate about SU Football and not just here because it's my job

Great analysis by Pyle! Although I am more a Dr. Gross fan rather than a foe, I think Pyle's thoughts on the MetLife series is valid. Once in a while--maybe. Three years in a row? Getting real old. Wanna fill seats? Book the prestige games in the Dome, not in Soprano Land. Budda-bing!

You try getting in touch with local businesses say from Binghamton/ithaca to Syracuse and surrounding areas about promoting there businesses on the ribbon boards or jumbotron if they buy a block of say 10 or more seats ?

I think more people would buy seats if we weren't at the mercy of espn for gametimes after week 3 and on non saturdays

i agree with the large employers. i would work with upstate hospital, maybe some specific departments like the cancer center or something.

in rochester, the biggest employers are university of rochester, including the medical center and wegmans. i know su had practices in rochester a few of the years, and it didnt seem to take off much, but if you could set up busses or something maybe that would peak interest. i know a handful of people who lived between syracuse and rochester who had season tickets in the past.

i agree with the large employers. i would work with upstate hospital, maybe some specific departments like the cancer center or something.

in rochester, the biggest employers are university of rochester, including the medical center and wegmans. i know su had practices in rochester a few of the years, and it didnt seem to take off much, but if you could set up busses or something maybe that would peak interest. i know a handful of people who lived between syracuse and rochester who had season tickets in the past.

The bus service is not a bad idea. In addition to a round trip for families or individuals, You could promote to groups in other cities and throw transit and a modest tailgate in with the deal if enough sign up.

Remember on TGD and Metlife: We were in the Big East when the contract was signed. We needed to impress the ACC/B1G that we were NY and to galvanize that NY's Team Marketing motto. Also, the Big East TV contract was crap and he needed the money.

Remember on TGD and Metlife: We were in the Big East when the contract was signed. We needed to impress the ACC/B1G that we were NY and to galvanize that NY's Team Marketing motto. Also, the Big East TV contract was crap and he needed the money.

I have no problem with a game at metlife every other year to fill the contract as long as we get good OOC games in the dome too. None of notre dame at metlife with buffalo,colgate and Tulane at carrier dome to round out our OOC games

The problem with Wegmans...SU has a marketing agreement with Tops.

The problem with Wegmans...SU has a marketing agreement with Tops.

That's odd since I usually see way more SU stuff at Wegmans than at Tops. T-shirts, tailgate supplies, and tons of other fan trinkets. I go to Tops and see maybe one rack of shirts, usually mostly for women.

That's a great article to pull from.

On field success is a no-brainer as you all know. If HCSS and the boys went undefeated this season I think you all could guess how my job would be going next season.

Customer Service is something every company everywhere will work to improve day-to-day. I think the customer's experience is what we target. Giving the dome upgrades and offering more concessions options to name a few will help but you are right, accessibility in and out of the dome is always something we can improve upon.

As far as MetLife goes it's a slippery slope. There are arguments for it one way or the other. I've read a lot of posts about your feelings about ND and I get the idea they aren't liked too much around here huh? That to me is why the LSU announcement is huge. Having Clemson and LSU in 2015 will spark the interest.

I definitely have my work cut out for me but that is why I am here. I say it time and again but I'll reach out to whoever, wherever, whenever, to get butts in seats at the Carrier Dome for football. If I reach out to 1000 people and fall on my face so be it. I at least want people to know I am passionate about SU Football and not just here because it's my job

Which is wonderful to have someone like you in there willing to try a hundred ideas to find a few that work. As you have said, when the Dome is filled and loud it is one of the best home field advantages in the country. We need to be creative in bringing fans in and creating new fans. I applaud your efforts. Hopefully, the create a new fan, ticket donation option becomes real. I would love to buy tickets for local kids that can go and have fun, as I live too far away myself to get to all the games. My way of helping the program and the less fortunate.

Hey Dan--ever give a thought to reaching down into NE Pennsylvania? They used to charter 5 or 6 busloads of fans from Scranton to come up and see GMac play. Plus a few past and present players from the area: Ismael, Brominski, mungro, West (apologies if I missed anyone--there are others I can't recall off the top of my head). Although the area is big on PSU and ND, there are some SU die-hards. Plus there is the appeal of making an easy two hour drive up from Scranton and environs to Syracuse as opposed to 3-4 hours to Happy Valley and God knows how long to South Bend.

Hey Dan--ever give a thought to reaching down into NE Pennsylvania? They used to charter 5 or 6 busloads of fans from Scranton to come up and see GMac play. Plus a few past and present players from the area: Ismael, Brominski, mungro, West (apologies if I missed anyone--there are others I can't recall off the top of my head). Although the area is big on PSU and ND, there are some SU die-hards. Plus there is the appeal of making an easy two hour drive up from Scranton and environs to Syracuse as opposed to 3-4 hours to Happy Valley and God knows how long to South Bend.

Oh yes. The guy who coordinated those bus loads to GMac's games is coming to a few games this year. I've worked with a few other bus/tour companies and we have some large groups coming from PA!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom