Cal's Ivan Rabb explains his decision to return to school | Syracusefan.com

Cal's Ivan Rabb explains his decision to return to school

Dave85

Living Legend
Many of us have strong opinions on this subject. I thought this was an interesting article from a smart young man:

"I heard it all," Rabb said. "Most people encouraged me to leave because of the new draft process. Everyone was doing it."

With millions of dollars sitting on the table -- the first-year salary alone for the 10th overall pick will be $2.14 million, according to the NBA's collective bargaining agreement -- Rabb finally made his decision via a simple news release sent out by the school on April 25. He'd be returning to class and spend another year calling Haas Pavilion home.

"I just wanted to improve," Rabb said. "I didn't just want to be in the NBA. I wanted to make sure I was ready when I got there."

"I know I need to get stronger," Rabb said. "I want to come back better defensively, a better shooter, a better rebounder, more comfortable on the floor. I want to be the leader. I wanted to have a bigger role."

Rabb realizes most people can't quite comprehend why he decided to turn down several million dollars to return to school, but he points to the choices made by former Oklahoma State star Marcus Smart and Providence standout Kris Dunnto help validate his choice.

Smart was considered a high lottery pick after his freshman season, but he opted to return to college for his sophomore year. And while Smart may have slipped a couple spots, to sixth overall in 2014, Rabb said Smart was more prepared to come into the NBA and make an immediate impact. Dunn looked like a top-15 pick after last season, now he has likely improved his draft stock.

"Marcus Smart's stock may have dropped a bit, but he came in ready to play. Kris Dunn became an alpha dog this past year," Rabb said. "This year will be a chance for me to show what I can do."

Rabb is a 3.0 student who hasn't looked back after making his decision. He said felt as though a huge weight was lifted off his shoulders when the news was announced.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...fornia-golden-bears-ivan-rabb-decision-return

Last edited:
How about that, a guy who is a top ten pick, realizes that the Nba will always be there, and wants to play another year of college ball.

How about that, a guy who is a top ten pick, realizes that the Nba will always be there, and wants to play another year of college ball.

There are lot people who think its selfish fan talk. And it is, I admit it. But it's not exactly a bad thing either!

Googled to see if he had a steady family situation that allowed for this but appears just a single mom who works multiple jobs so this is pretty long term thinking instead of the quick money grab of most in his situation.

Theres nothing wrong with wanting a good player on your team.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a leader. And there's nothing wrong with wanting to be strong enough to be seen actually playing in the NBA! I can hear the counter arguments now...money is everything bla bla bla not your decision bla bla bla owes us nothing bla bla bla.

And there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a leader. And there's nothing wrong with wanting to be strong enough to be seen actually playing in the NBA! I can hear the counter arguments now...money is everything bla bla bla not your decision bla bla bla owes us nothing bla bla bla.
I agree, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, and the kid should be commended for a very brave decision. That said, it is also very very risky. Hope it works out for him. Unlike Mali, he was a lock for the lottery. That's guaranteed millions. He's a stronger man than I think I would be.

My take has always been that it's the players life, it's his decision to make and hopefully he has as much good information as possible before making the decision. I don't begrudge a guy making the decision either way.

One other thing I'll say is that the people applauding this decision for whatever reason won't give a crap about Rabb if he blows out his knee this year and costs himself millions in the draft. (and yes I know he can improve his stock as well, I'm just making a point)

Last edited:
My take has always been that it's the players life, it's his decision to make and hopefully he has as much good information as possible before making the decision. I don't begrudge a guy making the decision either way.

One other thing I'll say is that the people applauding this decision for whatever reason won't give a crap about Rabb if he blows out his knee this year and costs himself millions in the draft. (and yes I know he can improve his stock as well, I'm just making a point)

Just out curiosity, and I mean no disrespect to your point of view, what happens if he got the million dollar contract and blew out his knee a few games in. Does he still get the entire amount or is there an injury clause?

But I do see your point. Take the money now because money is the most important thing and we all have to be good squirrels with our nuts. To be honest with you, I might not be able to walk away from a million dollars. Certainly not a billion dollars. But a million dollars doesn't seem like much anymore. It's hard to say. We shall see if Rabb's gamble pays off. Heaven knows many of my gambles have NOT paid off. How do you know!

Injury is always part of the game and is always a risk. The other way of thinking about it is by coming back another year he might be stronger to prevent injury when he does play in the NBA. If we are going to talk hypotheticals there are many different scenarios.

Just out curiosity, and I mean no disrespect to your point of view, what happens if he got the million dollar contract and blew out his knee a few games in. Does he still get the entire amount or is there an injury clause?

It's guaranteed. Assuming it's a basketball related injury; it's more complicated if he pulls a Jay Williams or something.

Injury is always part of the game and is always a risk. The other way of thinking about it is by coming back another year he might be stronger to prevent injury when he does play in the NBA. If we are going to talk hypotheticals there are many different scenarios.

Not sure about that argument.

Like I said, it's his life. He should do what he wants after getting as much (good) information as he can.

He should do what he wants after getting as much (good) information as he can.

I have not seen anyone argue here he should do something against his will. It seems he wants to stay in school one more year from his quotes in the article. I think if he wants to stay in school he should do what he wants.

I have not seen anyone argue here he should do something against his will. It seems he wants to stay in school one more year from his quotes in the article. I think if he wants to stay in school he should do what he wants.

I agree on that. And I would say the same thing if he decided to go pro.

I support his decision and hope it works out for him. To be honest, though, I have a feeling he'll lose draft position over this because I think he's going to have a dissappointing year (by NBA top-10 pick standards).

I have not seen anyone argue here he should do something against his will..

No. But what I have seen is posters judging the sh$T out of kids they never met before from behind a computer screen when they make a decision that adversely impacts their favorite team.

If he wants to stay, cool. If he wanted to go, cool. Do I think he should have at least gone through the process? Damn straight. What do you lose?

good on the kid for coming to this decision. and I'm all for underclassmen coming back instead of declaring whenever possible. but, in this case, it's just not the smart decision - actually quite a head scratcher

Could say the same thing about one of our players that didn't declare.

I agree on that. And I would say the same thing if he decided to go pro.

I know you would agree on going pro. But I want to understand something. When you say "Like I said, it's his life. He should do what he wants after getting as much (good) information as he can." What does that mean?

If someone's opinion is "he should stay in school to get stronger" how is that argument any worse than saying "he should enter the draft because he might get injured". I think they are about equal in strength.

I'm just not sure what you mean by "it's his life" comment. Of course fans want him to return to school for selfish reasons. I don't think the fans should be derided for feeling this way. I wish I had fans for something I was doing. Having fans is something to be valued in my opinion.

Again, as I stated at the beginning of this thread, people have strong feelings on this topic. Please just keep this to a very civil conversation. I think it's an interesting topic from both perspectives.

No. But what I have seen is posters judging the sh$T out of kids they never met before from behind a computer screen when they make a decision that adversely impacts their favorite team.

If he wants to stay, cool. If he wanted to go, cool. Do I think he should have at least gone through the process? Damn straight. What do you lose?

See my previous comment.

I know you would agree on going pro. But I want to understand something. When you say "Like I said, it's his life. He should do what he wants after getting as much (good) information as he can." What does that mean?

If someone's opinion is "he should stay in school to get stronger" how is that argument any worse than saying "he should enter the draft because he might get injured". I think they are about equal in strength.

I'm just not sure what you mean by "it's his life" comment. Of course fans want him to return to school for selfish reasons. I don't think the fans should be derided for feeling this way. I wish I had fans for something I was doing. Having fans is something to be valued in my opinion.

Again, as I stated at the beginning of this thread, people have strong feelings on this topic. Please just keep this to a very civil conversation. I think it's an interesting topic from both perspectives.

In all honesty, yeah I think he's making a mistake. You can get stronger in the League. Easier than in college I would imagine. As a general rule of youre seen as a lottery pick, you should probably jump. At th e VERY least go see how you stack up at the combine. But, it's his life and Im not really in a position to judge.

And I would have a LOT more respect for people if they just came out and said "I want Malachi to return because it makes us better" rather than try to hide behind more "acceptable" reasons to stay in school.

I guess my point is I don't have a strong feeling either way. I guess in general I would say I'm more biased towards kids going pro, but when I say "it's his life" what I mean is I don't make a value judgement either way. Rabb wants to stay in school for a year. That's what he wants to do, that's awesome for him, hope it works out. If he wanted to go pro, I'd say the same thing. That's awesome, hope it works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom