Calvin Johnson to retire | Syracusefan.com

Calvin Johnson to retire

Can't believe he's been in the league for nine seasons.

Time goes by very quickly.

Too bad he retired only playing on two decent teams. He was really good and deserved to be in the spotlight more. Very classy guy also from everything I have read.

The cynic in me believes this is a ploy to get out of Detroit and find a better team to play for

You'd have to think he'll be in the Hall of Fame someday, but there's so many receivers that feel deserving of being in that aren't yet. Considering how short his career was, the bare minimum of guys that I'd put in before Calvin would be:

Moss
Marvin Harrison
TO
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson

And then guys that I might put in before Calvin but not sure:
Isaac Bruce
Steve Smith
Henry Ellard
Larry Fitz

You'd have to think he'll be in the Hall of Fame someday, but there's so many receivers that feel deserving of being in that aren't yet. Considering how short his career was, the bare minimum of guys that I'd put in before Calvin would be:

Moss
Marvin Harrison
TO
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson

And then guys that I might put in before Calvin but not sure:
Isaac Bruce
Steve Smith
Henry Ellard
Larry Fitz

I will fully admit I don't have a great handle on what exactly you need to do to make the pro football HOF, but Calvin seems like a no brainer to me. He was the best WR in the league for multiple seasons. (2011-2013, give or take?) To me, he's easily ahead of guys like Steve Smith, Ellard, and Bruce. (Though good lord, that 1995 season was a hell of a year for Bruce, I had no idea.)

But I don't know, I don't think even guys like Wayne or Marvin were the best WR in the league (and they did benefit from the guy throwing them the football). In a sport like football where careers in general are so short, I don't really have a problem with putting more focus on what guys were at their peak.

Plus, Calvin never really played with a good QB.

I know everyone loves the LOL Detroit narrative (I do) but if it's about playing for someone relevant, why not ask for a trade?

This would've been his ninth year in the league and in doubt he needs money. Maybe it's just more.important to him that he doesn't turn into another Randle -El.

JK. He just doesn't want to be in the same room as that goon Edsall.

I know everyone loves the LOL Detroit narrative (I do) but if it's about playing for someone relevant, why not ask for a trade?

This would've been his ninth year in the league and in doubt he needs money. Maybe it's just more.important to him that he doesn't turn into another Randle -El.

JK. He just doesn't want to be in the same room as that goon Edsall.

It's certainly possible he's just looking for another team, but in football of all sports, I don't think you can underestimate how much someone may want to get out while their body is (hopefully) in one piece.

I will fully admit I don't have a great handle on what exactly you need to do to make the pro football HOF, but Calvin seems like a no brainer to me. He was the best WR in the league for multiple seasons. (2011-2013, give or take?) To me, he's easily ahead of guys like Steve Smith, Ellard, and Bruce. (Though good lord, that 1995 season was a hell of a year for Bruce, I had no idea.)

But I don't know, I don't think even guys like Wayne or Marvin were the best WR in the league (and they did benefit from the guy throwing them the football). In a sport like football where careers in general are so short, I don't really have a problem with putting more focus on what guys were at their peak.

Plus, Calvin never really played with a good QB.

What great WR doesn't benefit from having a very good to great QB throwing to them? When Harrison was in his Prime he was one of the best

What great WR doesn't benefit from having a very good to great QB throwing to them? When Harrison was in his Prime he was one of the best

Well the ones, like Calvin, who don't have great QB throwing to them.

Marvin was awesome. I don't think he was ever the best guy int he league like Calvin was though

Well the ones, like Calvin, who don't have great QB throwing to them.

Marvin was awesome. I don't think he was ever the best guy int he league like Calvin was though

Making the all decade team, 8x Pro Bowl and All Pro might say otherwise, but I understand its your opinion.

Making the all decade team, 8x Pro Bowl and All Pro might say otherwise, but I understand its your opinion.

I don't want my opinion to get misconstrued here. Marvin is a clear HOF and a great WR. I don't think he was ever the best WR in the league for a multiple eyar stretch like Calvin was. That's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom