Can any of the walk-ons contribute...really? | Syracusefan.com

Can any of the walk-ons contribute...really?

LAOrange

Starter
Noticed that Red Autry's kid signed up. Christian White's a senior. Mike Sutton's a Junior. Any one of these may be able to spell a backcourt guy. There are three other teeny-tiny freshmen, and then there's A-A who at 6-6 actually impressed when he was on the court last year.

Like Jordoo said, practice of course.

But realistically, they won't contribute anything, even if they could we have many many guards and small forwards.

Has a walkon ever earned a 4-5 minute rotational spot? Not as far back as I can remember.

Has a walkon ever earned a 4-5 minute rotational spot? Not as far back as I can remember.
This guy.
boeheim_player.jpg

Still trapping on the wings, against Bill Bradley.
jim-boeheim.97260973.jpg

Well, McNabb certainly had some moments and in terms of a "true" walk on I remember Brandon Reese and Elimu Nelson getting into a few games and I seem to remember Justin Thomas at least getting onto the court a few times in competitive games. Certainly not rotation guys but contributors.

Well, McNabb certainly had some moments and in terms of a "true" walk on I remember Brandon Reese and Elimu Nelson getting into a few games and I seem to remember Justin Thomas at least getting onto the court a few times in competitive games. Certainly not rotation guys but contributors.

I really wouldn't consider any of the guys you mentioned actual contributors.

I really wouldn't consider any of the guys you mentioned actual contributors.
Justin Thomas absolutely fits that category just by giving some minutes during the 6OT game. Even for those two or three minutes, there are many scholarship players we have had who never gave 2 or 3 good minutes in a big moment.

Justin Thomas absolutely fits that category just by giving some minutes during the 6OT game. Even for those two or three minutes, there are many scholarship players we have had who never gave 2 or 3 good minutes in a big moment.

If we play 1,400 minutes in a season and somebody contributes 2 or 3 solid minutes, is that really a contribution?

That's .002 percent of the season.

If we play 1,400 minutes in a season and somebody contributes 2 or 3 solid minutes, is that really a contribution?

If you contribute in one of the most important games in SU basketball history, then yes, that's a contribution.

I imagine the initial post was meant to read contribute in the rotation. 1 out of 4 games at the least.
Only position we could use some help at is center.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lydon play 5 minutes of center in the first half if he ends up being a stretch 3 at the forward slot. It would open up the paint so we could drive more and would work good with Roberson in the low to lob to. Roberson will become a better driver this year imo, but I don't know if he will have the outside shot beyond the foul line to draw the center out.

If Lydon is good for 1 out of 2 from outside on average, or with a elbow J, then it might be worth a few minutes to trade basket for basket late in the first half. Maybe with Kaleb and Gbinije to drive, but no way Cooney isn't in the last 2 minutes of the first half. Lydon giving up two quick fouls at center is less important then Roberson doing so imo, and we know Roberson covers ground laterally well on the wing. Either way having Malachi at the wing instead of lydon in that lineup probably won't give us the driving advantage so I imagine the taller/ better rebounder in lydon would be best for that short stretch as long as he can shoot the jumper.

In a game now with less shot clock, we will probably see a extra foul or two per game.
I am so excited for this team. Haven't been this excited since 11-12. But, going out on a limb this team has more consistency offensively imo. Throw the preseason rankings out the window. We are going to wreak havoc on the road. Our centers just need to get their Defense to a acceptable level.

Last edited:
I imagine the initial post was meant to read contribute in the rotation. 1 out of 4 games at the least.
Only position we could use some help at is center.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lydon play 5 minutes of center in the first half if he ends up being a stretch 3 at the forward slot. It would open up the paint so we could drive more and would work good with Roberson in the low to lob to. Roberson will become a better driver this year imo, but I don't know if he will have the outside shot beyond the foul line to draw the center out.

If Lydon is good for 1 out of 2 from outside on average to not leave him open, then it might be worth a few minutes to trade basket for basket late in the first half. Maybe with Kaleb and Gbinije to drive, but no way Cooney isn't in the last 2 minutes of the first half.

The odds of Lydon (or anybody) going 50% from outside seem incredibly slim. On the other hand, being a tall, roaming threat might be enough to force opposing coaches to alter their defenses (like they had to do with Southerland).

Meh. If you're a Top 10 program nationally and every (nearly every) year you have 13 scholarships to offer to the most sought after talents in the Country (world), should a walk-on ever have a "meaningful" game contribution? .002% seems high to me.

Walk-ons are there as tough practice partners, de facto cheerleaders, and APR fillers. These are areas where their contributions can be meaningful.

Meh. If you're a Top 10 program nationally and every (nearly every) year you have 13 scholarships to offer to the most sought after talents in the Country (world), should a walk-on ever have a "meaningful" game contribution? .002% seems high to me.

Walk-ons are there as tough practice partners, de facto cheerleaders, and APR fillers. These are areas where their contributions can be meaningful.
APR only counts for scholarship athletes.

Noticed that Red Autry's kid signed up. Christian White's a senior. Mike Sutton's a Junior. Any one of these may be able to spell a backcourt guy. There are three other teeny-tiny freshmen, and then there's A-A who at 6-6 actually impressed when he was on the court last year.

If anyone can I would put my money on Red's son!

If SU beats LSU tomorrow, I'd have no problem with Mahoney walking on the hoops team and starting at PG.

If SU beats LSU tomorrow, I'd have no problem with Mahoney walking on the hoops team and starting at PG.

If you don't think SU has a chance at home in the dome . . . . . . . then pray for some more belief. I expect to be competitive for the 1st quarter and a half. After that we need some crazy good coaching scheems.

If you don't think SU has a chance at home in the dome . . . . . . . then pray for some more belief. I expect to be competitive for the 1st quarter and a half. After that we need some crazy good coaching scheems.
Hope still springs eternal. :rolleyes:

Spot. On!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom