Can anyone tell me how cost of attendance is calculated and does the NCAA monitor it? | Syracusefan.com

Can anyone tell me how cost of attendance is calculated and does the NCAA monitor it?

Alsacs

Living Legend
Just wondering how it scales so differently. I get living in SEC country outside of Nashville it is harder to get to places but the cost of living is more expensive in the Northeast and West coast.

Auburn/Tennessee are jacking their up. Sorry I can't believe the coast of attendance in Knoxville, TN is that much than Syracuse, NY.

With autonomy from the NCAA could we raise ours up?

Each school calculates it for themselves. There is no set formula. They have to file that figure with the US Department of Education which uses it compute Federal aid like Pell Grants. I would presume the officer signing the form certifies everything is correct under penalty of perjury, like all Federal forms say at the bottom. I would hope it would set off red flags at DoEd if some SEC school tripled its CoA figure just to give more to the athletes. I imagine it would vary from state to state, depending on their particular laws, about whether school financial aid funds will be used to pay the stipend or if the booster club will have to raise that money (which will be the case at UVa).

There should be a baseline and maybe up to 20% or so up or down due to legit cost of living...

COA increases impact every student on aid, so if schools raise it just for athletes, it means they are also paying more to other aid recipients.

Private schools try to keep that figure low in an effort to keep the overall sticker shock to a minimum. Meanwhile, some southern schools include parking fees and estimated gas expenses for frequent trips back home. In its current state it's a Tigers to Oranges comparison.