Can Syracuse University end the charade that is the 'Orange' nickname? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can Syracuse University end the charade that is the 'Orange' nickname?

During the 30 for 30 Requiem for Big East the Syracuse mascot in the show where ESPN had the Original Eight members names flash during an opening for a game on ESPN in 1981 had Syracuse with a Roman Gladiator mascot.

At this point F the nickname Orange and just find a new one if we are going to these crap blue/grey football uniforms with very little orange.

Football is the #1 sport in the country. The general public equates the university with the football team, not the women's field hockey team.
Either way, there is a cost to having two brand names. Orangemen v. Orangewomen. Having "Orange" apply to both makes sense to me.

I would like Saltine Warriors but they would never allow such a politically-incorrect nickname and mascot in this day and age. Anything associated with war or violence is a no-no to any university or professional sports organization now.

The Orangemen wasn't any more PC than the Saltine Warriors. FWIW.

Alsacs said:
No joke my Freshman year I remember the talk about Buzz Shaw and Jake Crouthamel meeting and discussing a new nickname. If I remember correctly the nickname(s) discussed most were Wolfpack and Wolves. However, I heard Crouthamel hated both of those and we just listened to Nike and went to Orange.

And the schedule poster from that year you ask??

Attachments

• image-1343127555.jpg
    image-1343127555.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 83
That's not a very good comparison. Nobody is asking the team to dress up like a piece of citrus. What they're asking for is--I don't know--maybe to wear the school colors, which is apparently a foreign concept to Nike.

I don't even mind the uniforms, as I expressed yesterday repeatedly. But not enough orange in any of the combos, which doesn't make much sense.
I was going for hyperbole on that one. My point is that no player, when making their decision between Syracuse or another school, has "not enough orange in their uniforms" on his their "cons" list. Many seem to think multiple combos are pretty cool, though. Moreover, how many different colors of sneakers did Syracuse basketball players lace up this year? I remember a particularly neon yellow pair that Ennis wore -- do you think he paused to ask, "I wonder if these will offend the Orange faithful?"

I guess I'm just at a loss for why people care so, so much. Is it because you're embarrassed that they're not wearing orange -- or you think the school is embarrassed by a color (which offends you)? Stanford wears black, as does Duke -- are their fans wailing as much as Syracuse's are?

Football is the #1 sport in the country. The general public equates the university with the football team, not the women's field hockey team.

Yeah well who gives a damn what everybody else thinks? We are who we are, and we damn sure Otto be proud of it.

I was going for hyperbole on that one. My point is that no player, when making their decision between Syracuse or another school, has "not enough orange in their uniforms" on his their "cons" list. Many seem to think multiple combos are pretty cool, though. Moreover, how many different colors of sneakers did Syracuse basketball players lace up this year? I remember a particularly neon yellow pair that Ennis wore -- do you think he paused to ask, "I wonder if these will offend the Orange faithful?"

I guess I'm just at a loss for why people care so, so much. Is it because you're embarrassed that they're not wearing orange -- or you think the school is embarrassed by a color (which offends you)? Stanford wears black, as does Duke -- are their fans wailing as much as Syracuse's are?
I am okay with alternate jerseys. Duke's primary colors are blue and white, but they have a black jersey/helmet combination. However, they wear blue/white a lot more than black.
Same with Stanford their primary colors are cardinal and white, but they have a black jersey/helmet combination.

Syracuse's primary color is orange but we wear more blue than we do orange and don't even wear an orange jersey the most orange we ever wear for football is the helmet and pants. All people want is a freaking viable orange football top jersey occasionally and not blue/grey crap when our only official color is orange.

I am okay with alternate jerseys. Duke's primary colors are blue and white, but they have a black jersey/helmet combination. However, they wear blue/white a lot more than black.
Same with Stanford their primary colors are cardinal and white, but they have a black jersey/helmet combination.

Syracuse's primary color is orange but we wear more blue than we do orange and don't even wear an orange jersey the most orange we ever wear for football is the helmet and pants. All people want is a freaking viable orange football top jersey occasionally and not blue/grey crap when our only official color is orange.
I totally get what you're saying up until the last line -- as I have eyes and direct them towards sports every now and again. I singled out Stanford and Duke because colors are referenced in their nicknames -- and they, arguably, have greater stature than Syracuse. And while I get that some people want "a freaking viable orange football jersey occasionally" -- it's not everybody, because I don't care -- I just don't get what their motivation is.

Let me add that I don't ascribe to the idea that fans needs to wear orange to games, either. Does it help the players -- or convey to outsiders that we really like our team? Few people -- and very few unfit people -- look good in orange.

nobody cares about the multiple combos, stiching, the 44 logo, the little phrases sewn in.

again, and i cant believe nobody seems to get this and its written 50x in this thread and in other threads.

WE the alumni, the University, the school, the Athletic Dept, and the fans...CALL OURSELVES THE ORANGE, but we dont dress the most prominent athletic team in it.

have we always had a blue jersey?? yes. a white??? yes. and Orange??? sometimes. but the pants have always been Orange and the helmets have always been Orange (save for the maloney era). you know when you turn on tv its the Orange. even duke and stanford in their black, have the school color in there enough that one knows who they are.

it appears someon has decided to make a distinct move away from the color Orange for football, one that was so poorly recieved last year, that nike agreed to redo it again this year. and they then moved FURTHER away from Orange. its acutally quite comical.

im sure the kids like them. getting my jersey was always one of the highlights of the season. hell, i still have a bunch 25 years+ (yeah thats right, me and Al Bundy) after HS.

personally, i was looking forward to the grey, thought there was a lot of potential there. they kinda let me down.

from a $$ standpoint...do we really need 3 Fn helmets?? im guessing $400 a pop, 200 each...thats $240,000 just on helmets. is Nike picking that up?? is that why we just bend over and take it??

on the edit: YES, people should wear ORANGE to the games. its the school color, its not a fashion show. proudly wear it, display it. this is a common theme throughout all America from HS to the Pros. does everybody?? no. but many do. and those shots of the Dome all in Orange for a Hoop game are awe inspiring.

even when its not an Orange-out.

You're missing the point. I like combos. I like having different colored alternate uniforms. But where the F is the orange?

Nobody is saying that players choose to attend schools based upon colors. Maybe some do if they grow up as fans of a particular school, but the majority--probably not a big factor. But it isn't outrageous to suggest that the school colors should relate to the school in some capacity.

Your examples of Duke and Stanford aren't that compelling, because those are both alternate unis. And even with the alternate, they feature their primary school color prominently. See for yourself:

images

I don't care if we wear a black uniform from time to time [or that gun metal gray we wore a few years ago]. Whatever. But why is orange not featured in the uniform concoctions that Nike comes up with for us like that distinctive shade of blue that Duke uses is? As a fan, that is disappointing to me. And I'm not going to apologize for believing that we should represent the program's colors in our uniforms. Sorry.

Just to reiterate, I'm not complaining about different color combos, or having alternates versus only one look. I like the variety. I'm in favor [generally] of our new uniforms that got unveiled yesterday. I just wish we had more Orange.

nobody cares about the multiple combos, stiching, the 44 logo, the little phrases sewn in.

again, and i cant believe nobody seems to get this and its written 50x in this thread and in other threads.

WE the alumni, the University, the school, the Athletic Dept, and the fans...CALL OURSELVES THE ORANGE, but we dont dress the most prominent athletic team in it.

have we always had a blue jersey?? yes. a white??? yes. and Orange??? sometimes. but the pants have always been Orange and the helmets have always been Orange (save for the maloney era). you know when you turn on tv its the Orange. even duke and stanford in their black, have the school color in there enough that one knows who they are.

it appears someon has decided to make a distinct move away from the color Orange for football, one that was so poorly recieved last year, that nike agreed to redo it again this year. and they then moved FURTHER away from Orange. its acutally quite comical.

im sure the kids like them. getting my jersey was always one of the highlights of the season. hell, i still have a bunch 25 years+ (yeah thats right, me and Al Bundy) after HS.

personally, i was looking forward to the grey, thought there was a lot of potential there. they kinda let me down.

from a $$ standpoint...do we really need 3 Fn helmets?? im guessing $400 a pop, 200 each...thats $240,000 just on helmets. is Nike picking that up?? is that why we just bend over and take it??
I'm not an alum, but call myself "an Orange fan," by which I mean a fan of Syracuse sports. I still think I'd follow them if they went back to pink and pea green. You're ascribing meaning to being "Orange" that I just don't get.

We care so much because we're fans. That's what fans do - they care way too much.

I don't think the school is embarrassed by the color orange. I tend to think this is Nike's idea and SU is either too weak or too indifferent to question them on their primary color decision or demand anything else. Obviously I could be wrong about that.

You're missing the point. I like combos. I like having different colored alternate uniforms. But where the F is the orange?

Nobody is saying that players choose to attend schools based upon colors. Maybe some do if they grow up as fans of a particular school, but the majority--probably not a big factor. But it isn't outrageous to suggest that the school colors should relate to the school in some capacity.

Your examples of Duke and Stanford aren't that compelling, because those are both alternate unis. And even with the alternate, they feature their primary school color prominently. See for yourself:

images

I don't care if we wear a black uniform from time to time [or that gun metal gray we wore a few years ago]. Whatever. But why is orange not featured in the uniform concoctions that Nike comes up with for us like that distinctive shade of blue that Duke uses is? As a fan, that is disappointing to me. And I'm not going to apologize for believing that we should represent the program's colors in our uniforms. Sorry.

Just to reiterate, I'm not complaining about different color combos, or having alternates versus only one look. I like the variety. I'm in favor [generally] of our new uniforms that got unveiled yesterday. I just wish we had more Orange.
I'm not -- I'm coming here plainly: Help me understand why you care enough to discuss this issue ad nauseam. Is the lack of orange embarrassing to you, or not a sound strategy?

We care so much because we're fans. That's what fans do - they care way too much.

I don't think the school is embarrassed by the color orange. I tend to think this is Nike's idea and SU is either too weak or too indifferent to question them on their primary color decision or demand anything else. Obviously I could be wrong about that.
Sometimes you have to stand up and say NO. I mean Nike wants a healthy relationship with Syracuse and vice-versa. This crap is on Gross to stay listen this what we want 1. Orange top, 1. Blue top, and 1 White top anything else we will listen to you and think about. However, it seems Gross or the SU AD office doesn't have the guts to tell Nike no when presented with an idea.

I'm not an alum, but call myself "an Orange fan," by which I mean a fan of Syracuse sports. I still think I'd follow them if they went back to pink and pea green. You're ascribing meaning to being "Orange" that I just don't get.

Never mind -- just Googled the answer: http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html:

"Orange combines the energy of red and the happiness of yellow. It is associated with joy, sunshine, and the tropics. Orange represents enthusiasm, fascination, happiness, creativity, determination, attraction, success, encouragement, and stimulation.

"To the human eye, orange is a very hot color, so it gives the sensation of heat. Nevertheless, orange is not as aggressive as red. Orange increases oxygen supply to the brain, produces an invigorating effect, and stimulates mental activity. It is highly accepted among young people. As a citrus color, orange is associated with healthy food and stimulates appetite. Orange is the color of fall and harvest. In heraldry, orange is symbolic of strength and endurance.

"Orange has very high visibility, so you can use it to catch attention and highlight the most important elements of your design. Orange is very effective for promoting food products and toys."

Syracuse University: Combining the Energy of Red and Happiness of Yellow Since 1870.

I don't care if we wear a black uniform from time to time [or that gun metal gray we wore a few years ago]. Whatever. But why is orange not featured in the uniform concoctions that Nike comes up with for us like that distinctive shade of blue that Duke uses is?
I actually think orange and black is an awesome combo. Here is Oregon State's new uniform. (Odd that Nike is okay with orange for other schools.)

New-OSU-Orange-Football-Uniform-2013.jpg

Okay, I admit I have officially crossed the Joan Rivers fashion critic line. I'll stop now.

First I want to clarify that I'm one of the few that actually kind of like the new uniforms.

That said, can we just end the "Orange" already?

Orangemen was pretty cool, especially back when it meant something.
Orange was stupid but we collectively kind of shrugged our shoulders because what's the point in getting upset about it.

Now not only does SU have a stupid nickname but it doesn't even make sense considering the uniforms our football team wears.

I just wish Syracuse University would drop the 'Orange' nickname already and come up with a new one. Just change it to something else, add blue and possibly gray as the official colors (along with orange for traditional purposes), and be done with it.

Lawrinson - please make a photoshop of a navy blue Otto. It's only a matter of time anyway.

Sorry but I think this may be one of the sillier suggestions I have seen in a long time.

"The Orange" has been around for nearly as long as the football program.

"The Orange" name was so iconic that it actually prompted a famous bar of the same name off Marshall Street that was around for years.

The color blue is part of Syracuse University - the official color may be orange but the practical fact is that we have always been the orange and the blue.

For a very long time, blue was the away jersey for the BB team. Heck, in our first Final Four appearance we wore all blue in both games against KY and Louisville.

So there is no point getting bent out of shape about the prominent use of blue - it has been an essential part of the University for a long time.

Now, the use of grey, that's another issue.

The fact is that Nike controls the uniform. And Nike has decided that grey is a cool color and that every team should use it.

It's business.

well thats what you need to 'get' and this is not just directed at you.

Syracuse is the Hall of Languages.
Syracuse is Crouse College.
Syracuse is Newhouse.
Syracuse is Maxwell...etc, etc.
Syracuse is 44.
Syracuse is Orange.
Syracuse is the Dome.

all of those things and things not mentioned...are going nowhere. now the Dome?? yeah, that time will come. hopefully more later than sooner.

and now they are taking the Orange too.

Orange is the very fabric of what the school is. how it represents itself on a National level.

you get the logo, you get the color. while you cant judge a book by its cover, the cover tells alot. im not an add or marketing guy, but i would guess those 2 things are important.

if somebody somewhere, the Wizard of Oz or something, decreed...NO MORE ORANGE. then fine. we can fight that or go pink & green quietly...but at least we know whats up.

this is crazy.

I actually think orange and black is an awesome combo. Here is Oregon State's new uniform. (Odd that Nike is okay with orange for other schools.)

New-OSU-Orange-Football-Uniform-2013.jpg

Okay, I admit I have officially crossed the Joan Rivers fashion critic line. I'll stop now.
very cool uni.

and thats the thing too.

we have 1 color...Orange.

we can put whatever secondary color we want with it.

black, grey, white even blue...who cares?? just feature the only color we acknowledge.

ill try and stop now too...:bang::bang::bang:

Sorry but I think this may be one of the sillier suggestions I have seen in a long time.

"The Orange" has been around for nearly as long as the football program.

"The Orange" name was so iconic that it actually prompted a famous bar of the same name off Marshall Street that was around for years.

The color blue is part of Syracuse University - the official color may be orange but the practical fact is that we have always been the orange and the blue.

For a very long time, blue was the away jersey for the BB team. Heck, in our first Final Four appearance we wore all blue in both games against KY and Louisville.

So there is no point getting bent out of shape about the prominent use of blue - it has been an essential part of the University for a long time.

Now, the use of grey, that's another issue.

The fact is that Nike controls the uniform. And Nike has decided that grey is a cool color and that every team should use it.

It's business.
Well Jake Crouthamel himself considered the change so it can't be that silly.

Interesting that you talk about SU's history and tradition then state it's in Nike's hands. Nike couldn't care less about SU's history and tradition, obviously.

I know it's business. I'm just not sure angering (or at least annoying) lifelong fans is good business.

I'm not -- I'm coming here plainly: Help me understand why you care enough to discuss this issue ad nauseam. Is the lack of orange embarrassing to you, or not a sound strategy?

That you continue to frame the question back to me in this way suggests that no, you don't get it and are focused upon the wrong aspect of this "issue."

It has nothing to do with embarrassment. Or strategy. We're the !@#$ Orange[men]. I've grew up in Syracuse, with a father / alum who is a die hard SU fan. I like the program's colors.

The same way that Yankees fans are proud of pinstripes.

Or Giants fans are proud of red, white, and blue.

Or cowboys fans [ick] prefer white jerseys with silver / blue.

Or Celtics fans like green and white.

How would Yankees fans react if they suddenly changed their colors to gold and red?

It doesn't bother me what fans wear to the game--to each their own--so long as they represent. But what's the freaking problem with representing the team you're ostensibly rooting for?

Cripes...

well thats what you need to 'get' and this is not just directed at you.

Syracuse is the Hall of Languages.
Syracuse is Crouse College.
Syracuse is Newhouse.
Syracuse is Maxwell...etc, etc.
Syracuse is 44.
Syracuse is Orange.
Syracuse is the Dome.

all of those things and things not mentioned...are going nowhere. now the Dome?? yeah, that time will come. hopefully more later than sooner.

and now they are taking the Orange too.

Orange is the very fabric of what the school is. how it represents itself on a National level.

you get the logo, you get the color. while you cant judge a book by its cover, the cover tells alot. im not an add or marketing guy, but i would guess those 2 things are important.

if somebody somewhere, the Wizard of Oz or something, decreed...NO MORE ORANGE. then fine. we can fight that or go pink & green quietly...but at least we know whats up.

this is crazy.
Even though you're changing the starting line -- your first response was about calling yourself "Orange," not "Syracuse" -- your concern is clearly that not enough orange in the uniform undermines the institution. As silly as that concern might be, you're certainly entitled to it -- and are obviously passionate about it. I hope Syracuse can withstand this blow and be around a few more years.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom