Can we beat UNC? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Can we beat UNC?

I say we shock the world on Monday night. I know we haven't proved it on the road yet, but I'm slowly being won back because of the emergence of Battle. He is a difference maker, and I think the team overall is beginning to grasp the zone much better. UNC had an emotional game today. Time to save the season boys!
Perhaps if Meeks and Hicks abducted by aliens any thing is possible!

Georgia Tech just beat these guys by double digits. They are excellent but definitely not unbeatable. We have to shoot 50%+, keep them off the offensive glass, and find where Joel Berry is on the perimeter because he's the kind of guy who can kill us with his shooting.

It's unlikely but possible. We have good players too

We are on 81S heading to NC for the game. If it was last year I would say that guarantees a win, but I'm not sure our presence will be enough.

I have a horrible cough & cold so I'm going to campus & cough all over the team. They should feel like crap by Monday so we're all good.

I am convinced that we can beat, or lose to anyone in the ACC on any given night.

This team either plays great, or horrible. Nothing in between.

Depends on which team shows up.

I am convinced that we can beat, or lose to anyone in the ACC on any given night.

This team either plays great, or horrible. Nothing in between.

Depends on which team shows up.

I would like to think that... but that's orange colored glasses I'm afraid. We are half way through the season and not only has this team not beaten one decent OOC or top half ACC team, it has not been competitive against any team of that level. I'm happy that we won today and I feared we might not win 4 games this year after @BC. We have some talent. I do believe we are better with some freshman and transfer learning curve with zone/maturity. We are a fringe tournament team if not for the learning curve and possible off court events affecting things.

Beating BC does not change that. It's not as bleak as it looked a couple weeks ago though. Again hope I'm wrong.

We are on 81S heading to NC for the game. If it was last year I would say that guarantees a win, but I'm not sure our presence will be enough.

I have a horrible cough & cold so I'm going to campus & cough all over the team. They should feel like crap by Monday so we're all good.

Does that we include the Obie guy from last season? Wasnt he part of the luck?

Hey, I could see it on ESPN about some pudgy dog coughing all over the Cuse team as they arrive on campus, and rendering them ill.

Wasn't one of his best games but I thought he was fine. He was active. Honestly thought his numbers were a little better and was surprised to see the box score...seemed like he had about 8 and 8 to me.
He was plugged in today. He was good. Missed a couple layups (infuriating).

I'm not as convinced as others about Carolinas greatness this year, but I don't think we win. In CBB there's always a chance though.

We've been a different team for a couple weeks now. Today really felt different.

I'm not as convinced as others about Carolinas greatness this year, but I don't think we win. In CBB there's always a chance though.

We've been a different team for a couple weeks now. Today really felt different.

I liked how we played today... I think i felt more positive after the MIA / Pitt games because Gillon was so on fire and I thought maybe we found a point guard. But even then I wondered if that really worked without Gillon continuing to drain NBA 3's with a hand his face with 5 sec left on the shot clock. Gillon has not been good the last two games and while Frank has looked less bad we aren't going anywhere without a PG.

At the game today, I noticed that BC had a few guys that looked like they didn't belong anywhere near a p5 conference. I'm still beguiled how we lost to such a lousy team.

At the game today, I noticed that BC had a few guys that looked like they didn't belong anywhere near a p5 conference. I'm still beguiled how we lost to such a lousy team.

Our Zone D was awful and even Bucknell can get hot from 3 if you leave them wide open all night and pink hair got enfuego.

Wasn't one of his best games but I thought he was fine. He was active. Honestly thought his numbers were a little better and was surprised to see the box score...seemed like he had about 8 and 8 to me.

I thought he was pretty great today - had some nice passes, made some nice cuts, active and involved all-around. He seemed to go after and get the rebounds he should have. Not sure where the negatives came into play - he missed a couple putbacks in a row on that possession, but he just had a couple great defensive sequences right before that and may have been feeling the effects.

I liked how we played today... I think i felt more positive after the MIA / Pitt games because Gillon was so on fire and I thought maybe we found a point guard. But even then I wondered if that really worked without Gillon continuing to drain NBA 3's with a hand his face with 5 sec left on the shot clock. Gillon has not been good the last two games and while Frank has looked less bad we aren't going anywhere without a PG.

So you think if we have 3 wins in the ACC tourney to finish with 22 wins we're not going to be considered with 22 wins? That would have to be a strong bubble being in the best conference in America getting to the tourney finals. I don't think a first round exit would do it but 2-3 wins in the tourney may very well be enough. The NCAA says they look at all games evenly now but that would be a pretty strong finish.

Georgia Tech just beat these guys by double digits. They are excellent but definitely not unbeatable. We have to shoot 50%+, keep them off the offensive glass, and find where Joel Berry is on the perimeter because he's the kind of guy who can kill us with his shooting.

It's unlikely but possible. We have good players too

we can't even compete with vtech or BC on the road...this is a 20 pt minimum blow out.

I say we shock the world on Monday night. I know we haven't proved it on the road yet, but I'm slowly being won back because of the emergence of Battle. He is a difference maker, and I think the team overall is beginning to grasp the zone much better. UNC had an emotional game today. Time to save the season boys!

We can beat any team in the country if the ball bounces our way.

We can beat any team in the country if the ball bounces our way.

+1, completely agree. "Any given Monday"(or whatever we can use as the equivalent to the NFL saying). I mean I was told it was basically impossible that St John's could beat us this season(though I questioned that more than once, not to pat myself too hard on the back, lol).

Our Zone D was awful and even Bucknell can get hot from 3 if you leave them wide open all night and pink hair got enfuego.

It was funny when one of the announcers this time said he looked like the coral reef. Not because I dislike his hair, but because it's weird to hear announcers say anything like that and it caught me off guard. But yeah, dude seemed unconscious and likely lifted others due to it. Even on nights when the zone isnt crappy, that can happen from time to time.

On that note, is it just me or have I heard "season high", and/or "career high" a number of times against us this season? I mean, more than the usual that I've gotten used to.

Last edited:
Does that we include the Obie guy from last season? Wasnt he part of the luck?

Hey, I could see it on ESPN about some pudgy dog coughing all over the Cuse team as they arrive on campus, and rendering them ill.
Yes it does Obie 9 & I had a great run last year, attended all road/neutral site wins and no losses. Our streak ran out in Houston

This year hasn't been as lucky- we were at the UCONN game and we're supposed to go to BC but lost power and didn't get up in time to get from Syracuse to Boston.

I never rule us out of any game, but we're going to have to have pretty much everything go right (as I go into Captain Obvious mode)

• Gillon will need to play like he did against Miami and approach or get double digit assists and not force his offense if it's not there for him.
  • AW will need to be efficient and shoot at least 50% from the field, with probably at least 4 threes.
  • T Rob will need to be turned on against their front line and get back to double digit rebounds like he had against Pitt and Va Tech. No easy chore against UNC.
  • Lydon will have to avoid foul trouble and make them count when he does foul and put up similar numbers offensively and on the boards as he did yesterday
  • I actually thought Taurean showed a little better on defense yesterday. Not what we need yet, but at least some progress from Va Tech, where I was more discouraged with his effort on that end than I have been all season. So if he can at least not get totally manhandled on that end and bring his normal offense, I would be happy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom