Carleton Exhibition Game | Syracusefan.com

Carleton Exhibition Game

hallcity

Walk On
I'm surprised that I'm the one posting this. Mark Armstrong, a sports reporter for WTVD in Raleigh, tweeted this yesterday:
Mark Armstrong ‏@ArmstrongABC11 15h
happy tears RT @hoopstarscanada: Carleton Ravens have come to an agreement with Syracuse to play at the Carrier Dome in early November.

You might ask why Armstrong would be tweeting this. Armstrong is from Toronto and often tweets about Canadian sports matters.

I'm surprised that I'm the one posting this. Mark Armstrong, a sports reporter for WTVD in Raleigh, tweeted this yesterday:
happy tears RT @hoopstarscanada: Carleton Ravens have come to an agreement with Syracuse to play at the Carrier Dome in early November.

You might ask why Armstrong would be tweeting this. Armstrong is from Toronto and often tweets about Canadian sports matters.

Good--they'll be losing all of those 6th year seniors they had in the lineup last summer.

Gonna need some tough games early to help get the kids ready to play in the regular season. This is a good move and I hope an exhibition game with Carleton becomes an annual affair.

This is a great move.

Some immediate high d1 level competition to show us how much our players have really improved.

hallcity said:
I'm surprised that I'm the one posting this. Mark Armstrong, a sports reporter for WTVD in Raleigh, tweeted this yesterday: Mark Armstrong ‏@ArmstrongABC11 15h happy tears RT @hoopstarscanada: Carleton Ravens have come to an agreement with Syracuse to play at the Carrier Dome in early November. You might ask why Armstrong would be tweeting this. Armstrong is from Toronto and often tweets about Canadian sports matters.

Thanks for the info. I like this exhibition. Quality team.

There is a real opportunity right now to become "Canada's College Team." That sounds funny, bu the reality is that Canada is becoming a significant exporter of outstanding basketball talent. If Syracuse deliberately positions itself to be te desired destination of the best of the best from Canada, it will pay massive dividends over the next 15 years. To me it is one of those rare cases where you can see there is a mjor strategic opportunity. We'll see what the program does to try to exploit it.

There is a real opportunity right now to become "Canada's College Team." That sounds funny, bu the reality is that Canada is becoming a significant exporter of outstanding basketball talent. If Syracuse deliberately positions itself to be te desired destination of the best of the best from Canada, it will pay massive dividends over the next 15 years. To me it is one of those rare cases where you can see there is a mjor strategic opportunity. We'll see what the program does to try to exploit it.

Location, location, location. If Canada produces a superstar out of high school, there's no reason we shouldn't be at the top of his list.

Carleton beat Wisconsin. It's a good move to play them but all this early season stuff can be fool's gold.

I hope the ACC tries very hard to get this game on TV in Toronto and promotes it heavily. I'd like to see many more ACC games with Carleton. It's a shame that the NCAA treats playing a game in Canada as a "foreign trip" making it hard now for ACC teams to play at Carleton. Yes, it's another country but it's a short trip for Syracuse. It's easier for ACC teams to get to Ottawa than to places like Blacksburg and Clemson, much less playing at a PAC school. Maybe the rules can be changed once the power conferences are in their own NCAA division. Carleton won't join the ACC but the ACC can make money by playing them -- if Carleton has that sort of ambition for its basketball program. Getting even a small slice of the huge Ottawa-Toronto TV market for the ACC would be great.

Last edited:
I hope the ACC tries very hard to get this game on TV in Toronto and promotes it heavily. I'd like to see many more ACC games with Carleton. It's a shame that the NCAA treats playing a game in Canada as a "foreign trip" making it hard now for ACC teams to play at Carleton. Yes, it's another country but it's a short trip for Syracuse. It's easier for ACC teams to get to Ottawa than to places like Blacksburg and Clemson, much less playing at a PAC school. Maybe the rules can be changed once the power conferences are in their own NCAA division. Carleton won't join the ACC but the ACC can make money by playing them -- if Carleton has that sort of ambition for its basketball program. Getting even a small slice of the huge Ottawa-Toronto TV market for the ACC would be great.

They treat it as a foreign trip (which it is) for purposes of an offseason (summer) trip -which is the only way you can put together the offseason trip...So its actually a great thing for that purpose. I don't know, but find it hard to believe that the NCAA cares whether a team travels to Canada for a preseason (once practices have officially begun) scrimmage. The issue is that we aren't likely to leave the Carrier Dome at that point.

Let's not kid ourselves. The only reason these guys agreed to play at the Carrier Dome is so they could shop at Destiny USA. They save big time on sales taxes.

;)

Gonna need some tough games early to help get the kids ready to play in the regular season. This is a good move and I hope an exhibition game with Carleton becomes an annual affair.
Destiny ought to get involved and offer free tickets to Canadians at the Kiosk for the Carleton Game. Time to bring the train back!

Last edited:
Location, location, location. If Canada produces a superstar out of high school, there's no reason we shouldn't be at the top of his list.

image.jpg

So true... We are so close to all of Canada...

Right, because so much of Canada is populated... Moose and Eskimos don't count
Don't be so provincial...a ton of people live in Southern Ontario and Quebec. Toronto and Montreal are both awesome cities.

Will we be able to see the Russian players play?

Don't be so provincial...a ton of people live in Southern Ontario and Quebec. Toronto and Montreal are both awesome cities.

It's a shame nobody here 'gets' me Oh Lord lol

That said, the majority of top basketball talent in Canada is focused in the East. Could that change and are there exceptions? Sure. But being close to basically the 3 main cities in Canada (or 3 of the top 5) is pretty good location; especially when one of them produces the majority of the bball talent (Toronto).

It's a shame nobody here 'gets' me Oh Lord lol

That said, the majority of top basketball talent in Canada is focused in the East. Could that change and are there exceptions? Sure. But being close to basically the 3 main cities in Canada (or 3 of the top 5) is pretty good location; especially when one of them produces the majority of the bball talent (Toronto).

I know what you are saying and I agree. Plus what major D1 school is closer to most of Canada. Gonzaga? Honestly, I don't think Canada could produce enough gangly, grungy, long haired white guys to ever satisfy that program.

I believe he was commenting on the large part of Canada that is not geographically close, whereas the most populated regions that you mention are pretty close. There is no denying that large areas of the Canadian nation are not heavily populated.