Carrier Dome Articles | Syracusefan.com

Carrier Dome Articles

i am thrilled re the renovation but am not thrilled re the 4 summer time line. if they can do it in one year we should suck it up and move the games,get it done and get on with it

i am thrilled re the renovation but am not thrilled re the 4 summer time line. if they can do it in one year we should suck it up and move the games,get it done and get on with it

Respectfully disagree. Do whatever it takes to avoid disruption of FB/BB seasons. As per TexanMark's suggestion: spruce up the soccer stadium to accommodate the LAX teams but leave FB and BB alone!

Respectfully disagree. Do whatever it takes to avoid disruption of FB/BB seasons. As per TexanMark's suggestion: spruce up the soccer stadium to accommodate the LAX teams but leave FB and BB alone!
Definitely agree that the soccer stadium needs to be dramatically improved...regardless of what happens with the Dome. Syracuse has emerged as the best college soccer program in the Northeast. They are drawing capacity crowds. There is strong interest. Add stands on the eastern side of the field, add a roof to make it more comfortable for the fans, add real concession facilities and rest rooms and you have a really nice college facility that would be fine for hosting lacrosse games, SU football scrimmages, NCAA soccer and lacrosse games, etc.

This is what UConn is planning on building. It should be a model for what Syracuse does.

Rendering-Soccer-17.jpg

Regarding the intentions to not disrupt football or basketball seasons...I understand this and agree it would be great if this can be done. I am extremely concerned about the feasibility of doing this successfully, in terms of budget and timeline. If SU signs on to this approach, I urge them to make the contractor responsible for any cost overruns. They should also put severe penalties on the contractor for delays in completing the project.

And if doing it would significantly speed up completion of the project, I think moving football games off campus for a season or two should be seriously considered. I think it would be possible to get the capacity of the AAA baseball stadium in Syracuse up to 25K or so without a major expenditure. It wouldn't be awful to play a season or two there while the new Dome is completed. Or play games at Cornell, UB, etc.

There is no practical way to handle basketball except to play at the Dome. Don't try to mess with that. Never mess with a goose that lays golden eggs....

Last edited:
my concern is the impact on recruiting. having the stadium drawn out over 4 years, in a state continuous renovation is a negative. getting done in one year may enhance recruiting. but, what do i know----in my shortsightedness i envision mud, cranes, construction equipment, and materials everywhere for 4 years

I'm not sure that lax will be affected. Assuming Commencement is also a concern, then construction can start on Monday thereafter. That still allows the annual 7:30 first round NCAA tournament lax game to be played at the dome as well. ;)

I'm guessing that the 1980 Commencement ceremonies were held at Manley. Where else could they hold them this time around? Outdoors at a local high school football stadium? I doubt they could even cram the graduates into the downtown arena, let alone their families.

I'm not sure that lax will be affected. Assuming Commencement is also a concern, then construction can start on Monday thereafter. That still allows the annual 7:30 first round NCAA tournament lax game to be played at the dome as well. ;)

I'm guessing that the 1980 Commencement ceremonies were held at Manley. Where else could they hold them this time around? Outdoors at a local high school football stadium? I doubt they could even cram the graduates into the downtown arena, let alone their families.
AAA Baseball stadium

AAA Baseball stadium
One can only hope that they can get that scheduling right. ;)

Then there's also the question of what they would do in case of rain... ponchos & umbrellas?

I haven't seen any conceptual drawings yet. Is there any out there?

I haven't seen any conceptual drawings yet. Is there any out there?
Believe they are supposed to be released next month.

agree with sutomcat, I was thinking the ballpark would be a great place to have the football games if they need to be moved. I think the place only seats about 18000, they would need to add removable bleachers on the other side of the outfield. Plenty of parking there. what about the war memorial and the landmark for commencement if needed?

Definitely agree that the soccer stadium needs to be dramatically improved...regardless of what happens with the Dome. Syracuse has emerged as the best college soccer program in the Northeast. They are drawing capacity crowds. There is strong interest. Add stands on the eastern side of the field, add a roof to make it more comfortable for the fans, add real concession facilities and rest rooms and you have a really nice college facility that would be fine for hosting lacrosse games, SU football scrimmages, NCAA soccer and lacrosse games, etc.

This is what UConn is planning on building. It should be a model for what Syracuse does.

Rendering-Soccer-17.jpg

Regarding the intentions to not disrupt football or basketball seasons...I understand this and agree it would be great if this can be done. I am extremely concerned about the feasibility of doing this successfully, in terms of budget and timeline. If SU signs on to this approach, I urge them to make the contractor responsible for any cost overruns. They should also put severe penalties on the contractor for delays in completing the project.

And if doing it would significantly speed up completion of the project, I think moving football games off campus for a season or two should be seriously considered. I think it would be possible to get the capacity of the AAA baseball stadium in Syracuse up to 25K or so without a major expenditure. It wouldn't be awful to play a season or two there while the new Dome is completed. Or play games at Cornell, UB, etc.

There is no practical way to handle basketball except to play at the Dome. Don't try to mess with that. Never mess with a goose that lays golden eggs...

Like I said before, missed opportunity. New facility, could have gotten football, hoops, lax, soccer, hockey all under one roof, plus parking and easy access.

Like I said before, missed opportunity. New facility, could have gotten football, hoops, lax, soccer, hockey all under one roof, plus parking and easy access.
How was there a missed opportunity? Is there an extra couple hundred million dollars you know about that we don't?

Can't they play football, hoops, lax, soccer, all under one roof in the updated dome? I hardly think they need to make major renovations for (W) hockey.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom