Carrier Dome rainwater collection construction project.. | Syracusefan.com

Carrier Dome rainwater collection construction project..

CuseLegacy

http://www.localsyr.com/story/d/sto...-will-be-sent-to/33187/4YRl1LXA1Eqls9F7mnP0Jg

Sorry if already posted. So if you notice the water in those toilets is a different color..

Syracuse (WSYR-TV) - You may have heard of various Save the Rain projects in Onondaga County, but now one of Syracuse’s most recognizable buildings will be capturing tens of thousands of gallons of water from its famous roof.
The Carrier Dome is in the process of building a system that will capture some rainwater runoff and put it to a very interesting use, and it's not just rain they'll collect.
“I'm heating this building all winter to get the snow off the roof. This building sees rain 24/7, 365 days a year,” said Carrier Dome Manager Pete Sala.
After about two years of studying and redesigns, the Dome is about to install two 25,000 gallon holding tanks outside the building that will eventually supply water to flush half its frequently used toilets.
Visitors to the Dome will be able to see two 4,000 gallon tanks and all its mechanics from a glass window with an interactive 47-inch touch-screen monitor as well.
"When you start the film, the lights in the room will dim enough as each component is talked about a different color LED light will shine on that portion of the system," Sala explained.
Sala says the water used in the project will be dyed and if for some reason it runs out, they'll have the original system as backup.
The water will feed all the men's and women's bathroom toilets on the North side of the Dome, which is behind the visitor’s bench for football.
Sala says he expects the system to be operational by the second home football game of the season, which is Sept. 20 against Maryland.

I'm a traditionalist--thank God my seats are on the home side--don't want anybody messing with my pee trough's color!

speaking of projects any locals go out by the IPF consruction site lately?

Ummm, the color has to be orange right? or do we change it weekly to the opponents color? Pee'n all over them, give them no respect!

platinum for all games so the dome feels like a prison when we lock the opponent in

“I'm heating this building all winter to get the snow off the roof. This building sees rain 24/7, 365 days a year,” said Carrier Dome Manager Pete Sala...

Don't intend to hijack this otherwise informative thread (and don't want to rehash all the Dome roof/catastrophic failure stuff), but -- again -- just because Pete Sale is quoted as saying something in an article doesn't make it so.

Of course the Dome doesn't see runoff (or "rain") 365 days a year. He's speaking in cliches, just like he does in those articles about the Metrodome roof that have been so hotly debated in the roof threads.

OK, tangent over. Cool project.

speaking of projects any locals go out by the IPF consruction site lately?

That's the least pejorative use of "locals" in the history of the board. Well done!

The bleachers came down two weeks ago; no sign of their reinstallation (which was at one point intended to occur in the south end of the soccer stadium).

Lots of digging. No movement of material from Skytop staging area yet. But the site looks quite active.

I heard about this a few years back...might have been the news

That's the least pejorative use of "locals" in the history of the board. Well done!

The bleachers came down two weeks ago; no sign of their reinstallation (which was at one point intended to occur in the south end of the soccer stadium).

Lots of digging. No movement of material from Skytop staging area yet. But the site looks quite active.

They found Jimmy Hoffa the other day. :D

Ummm, the color has to be orange right? or do we change it weekly to the opponents color? Pee'n all over them, give them no respect!

The water and everything else in the opposing teams locker rooms should be pink.

Clev04 said:

No way should the color be one of ours.

It would probably be a hassle to change every game though too, but that was my first thought. It would be great.

So, that leaves a neutral color like a gray. (They call it gray water for a reason I guess). But that seems boring. Maybe green?

Since this project is happening, it wouldn't seem that SU is in any sort of rush to reclaim this land for academic buildings would it?

I heard that they aren't changing the color to orange until next year. :confused:

I heard that the Orange uniforms and the color of the water will be announced for the LSU game.

Don't intend to hijack this otherwise informative thread (and don't want to rehash all the Dome roof/catastrophic failure stuff), but -- again -- just because Pete Sale is quoted as saying something in an article doesn't make it so.

Of course the Dome doesn't see runoff (or "rain") 365 days a year. He's speaking in cliches, just like he does in those articles about the Metrodome roof that have been so hotly debated in the roof threads.

OK, tangent over. Cool project.

FYI, the Dome does see "run off" all year long, due to the fact that the roof and perimeter gutter system is heated to melt snow and ice during the winter. Perfect facility to harvest water from!! When it rains or snows on the Carrier Dome roof, their IS run off and it will be captured to flush toilets and urinals...

FYI, the Dome does see "run off" all year long, due to the fact that the roof and perimeter gutter system is heated to melt snow and ice during the winter. Perfect facility to harvest water from!! When it rains or snows on the Carrier Dome roof, their IS run off and it will be captured to flush toilets and urinals...

It's a good idea. But it's far from a 365-day system. The gutter hasn't seen any activity today or yesterday, for instance.

It's a good idea. But it's far from a 365-day system. The gutter hasn't seen any activity today or yesterday, for instance.
Ya, i don't get it either.