Cavaliers fire Blatt | Syracusefan.com

Cavaliers fire Blatt

RF2044

Living Legend
Weird move, despite how well thought of Tyron Lue is.

Don't think it will make much of a difference--the championship will remain in the western conference this year.

Lebron and his camp apparently wanted Mark Jackson. Jackson hired Lebron's agent to represent him with the quid pro quo understanding they would push for him to be the Cavs coach.

Lebron didn't have any respect for Blatt and the Cavs management just decided to bail on the guy. Lue was the compromise choice to replace Blatt. I don't see Lebron beating SA or GS this year.

4 of the top 5 teams in the NBA are in the West but the middle of the East is better than the middle of the West.

I am not afraid to say this,but if Blatt was black with the accomplishments that he has with Cleveland he doesn't get fired. Brings that team to the finals last year,30-11 record this year and Labron has issues with Love too....

If Lue was white he wouldn't be getting a multi-year deal either. So transparent here. Settled on him...LOL

Last edited:
I am not afraid to say this,but if Blatt was black with the accomplishments that he has with Cleveland he doesn't get fired. Brings that team to the finals last year,30-11 record this year and Labron has issues with Love too...

If Lue was white he wouldn't be getting a multi-year deal either. So transparent here. Settled on him...LOL

Mike Brown went to the finals in Cleveland and went 61-21 in his final season in Cleveland, and still got fired. Avery Johnson got canned after going 194-70 in Dallas, and was fired just one season after being coach of the year.

Good, successful coaches get canned all the time in pro sports.

Mike Brown went to the finals in Cleveland and went 61-21 in his final season in Cleveland, and still got fired. Avery Johnson got canned after going 194-70 in Dallas, and was fired just one season after being coach of the year.

Good, successful coaches get canned all the time in pro sports.
Avery went to the Finals his first year and then lost in the first round the next 2 years. I wouldn't say he got screwed.

Mike Brown was an awful in-coach and rode Lebron being Lebron to that record. Brown could coach a D but his offense was worse than Boston Celtics clogged toilet offense under Doc Rivers.

Mike Brown was fired to try and keep Lebron from leaving Cleveland.

Blatt just got Lebroned. Which is fine if your Cleveland as you gotta keep Lebron happy. I am surprised they didn't hire Jackson I guess that was Cleveland engagement kinda standing up to Lebron/Leon Rose.

Avery went to the Finals his first year and then lost in the first round the next 2 years. I wouldn't say he got screwed.

Mike Brown was an awful in-coach and rode Lebron being Lebron to that record. Brown could coach a D but his offense was worse than Boston Celtics clogged toilet offense under Doc Rivers.

Mike Brown was fired to try and keep Lebron from leaving Cleveland.

Blatt just got Lebroned. Which is fine if your Cleveland as you gotta keep Lebron happy. I am surprised they didn't hire Jackson I guess that was Cleveland engagement kinda standing up to Lebron/Leon Rose.

I didn't say Avery got screwed, just listing an example of a guy who had a lot of success(in the West too) and got canned.

Mike Brown didn't have nearly the offensive talent that Blatt had, who couldn't figure out how to use Kevin Love effectively. Suggesting this is racial(not you) when the same organization fired Brown after a 61 win season is crazy. It's a sign of a shaky organization that shouldn't have hired him in the first place if Lebron wasn't on board with it. Their window is now. They don't have time to mess around if it's not working...and the way it's going I don't think anyone sees them beating SA or GS right now. It's championship or bust for them, so I can't fully blame them(again, I think they made a mistake hiring him in the first place). Lue comes off as pretty shady though it the reports are accurate.

I didn't say Avery got screwed, just listing an example of a guy who had a lot of success(in the West too) and got canned.

Mike Brown didn't have nearly the offensive talent that Blatt had, who couldn't figure out how to use Kevin Love effectively. Suggesting this is racial(not you) when the same organization fired Brown after a 61 win season is crazy. It's a sign of a shaky organization that shouldn't have hired him in the first place if Lebron wasn't on board with it. Their window is now. They don't have time to mess around if it's not working...and the way it's going I don't think anyone sees them beating SA or GS right now. It's championship or bust for them, so I can't fully blame them(again, I think they made a mistake hiring him in the first place). Lue comes off as pretty shady though it the reports are accurate.
Blatt was hired before LeBron signed.

I think Lue should be fired tomorrow. There is no excuse for his 0-1 record.

Lue is just Lebron's puppet, apparently Blatt yelled at him, and that is a no no.

Lue is just Lebron's puppet, apparently Blatt yelled at him, and that is a no no.

Interesting, a few reports I read stated that Blatt went overboard the other way and refused to criticize the teams stars to the point where asst coaches and the GM had to do it and he lost respect from the team.

I think Cavs get to the Finals last year and this year, barring injuries, regardless of who the coach is. Blatt's missteps against Chicago in last year's postseason would have given me very large concerns if I were Cleveland's front office. Might have gotten away with them in that series but can't risk that twice in more dire situations.

Interesting, a few reports I read stated that Blatt went overboard the other way and refused to criticize the teams stars to the point where asst coaches and the GM had to do it and he lost respect from the team.

I think Cavs get to the Finals last year and this year, barring injuries, regardless of who the coach is. Blatt's missteps against Chicago in last year's postseason would have given me very large concerns if I were Cleveland's front office. Might have gotten away with them in that series but can't risk that twice in more dire situations.

Then you have to wonder why a guy who was 83-40 got canned.

Then you have to wonder why a guy who was 83-40 got canned.

I'm a big believer of the old saying don't measure success by what you achieve but what you're capable of. That Cleveland roster is good enough to rack up all kinds of regular season wins and barely break a sweat in ripping through the East in the playoffs with any run of the mill NBA coach. If I'm Cavs management and it seems to be a very big problem that he didn't have the players respect, wasn't really putting Love in spots where he's historically been pretty potent, and then is doing things like calling timeouts when you don't have any in pivotal moments of the ECF then I make a move.

Now if you want to say Lebron had a part in the players not respecting him I can definitely agree with that but him being fired because he yelled at Lebron isn't very accurate. Personally, I would have made a move this summer based on the seemingly continuous stream of reports all last year in how big of a disaster the Blatt thing had become.

Not trying to be condescending at all but there have been some pretty interesting articles on Blatt's firing that showed how disastrous that situation was behind the scenes, both from local and national writers.

I'm a big believer of the old saying don't measure success by what you achieve but what you're capable of. That Cleveland roster is good enough to rack up all kinds of regular season wins and barely break a sweat in ripping through the East in the playoffs with any run of the mill NBA coach. If I'm Cavs management and it seems to be a very big problem that he didn't have the players respect, wasn't really putting Love in spots where he's historically been pretty potent, and then is doing things like calling timeouts when you don't have any in pivotal moments of the ECF then I make a move.

Now if you want to say Lebron had a part in the players not respecting him I can definitely agree with that but him being fired because he yelled at Lebron isn't very accurate. Personally, I would have made a move this summer based on the seemingly continuous stream of reports all last year in how big of a disaster the Blatt thing had become.

Not trying to be condescending at all but there have been some pretty interesting articles on Blatt's firing that showed how disastrous that situation was behind the scenes, both from local and national writers.

Listen to Windhorst on Zach Lowe's pod.

It is clear that this was mismanaged from the get go, but Bron gave up on Blatt right at the beginning of his tenure. If Bron isn't on board, whether directly or indirectly, he was the cause of the team turning on him.

It's a terribly run organization that gives LeBron and his people way, way too much access and power.

Last edited:
It's a terribly run organization that gives LeBron and his people way, way too much access and power.
If they get a title with Lebron they'll have lucked in to it.

I really wish they had seen what would have developed with Wiggins.

If they get a title with Lebron they'll have lucked in to it.

I really wish they had seen what would have developed with Wiggins.

I agree. I was really surprised when they went after Love. Not because of him being overrated at the time (which he absolutely was - stat stuffer, bad defense, injury prone), but because there was not a chance he was going to fit with Bron unless he took on a new role.

With Wiggins, they at least had an on-ball defender on the wing to start with that could finish in transition. Bron and Kyrie could be ball dominant, let Wiggins guard the most important 1-3 and see what happened.

The guy was 83-40 and went to the nba finals, he didn't deserve to be fired. Tyronne Lue looks like the ball boy, this is all about Lebron flexing his muscles and getting his way.

I agree. I was really surprised when they went after Love. Not because of him being overrated at the time (which he absolutely was - stat stuffer, bad defense, injury prone), but because there was not a chance he was going to fit with Bron unless he took on a new role.

With Wiggins, they at least had an on-ball defender on the wing to start with that could finish in transition. Bron and Kyrie could be ball dominant, let Wiggins guard the most important 1-3 and see what happened.

I was in favor of the Love trade at the time, and I have to admit it's not looking great, but I will still say

1) When love/kyrie/lebron all play, the Cavs record is pretty ridiculous.
2) I don't think t hey could rely on a rookie on a team that was in win now mode. Wiggins has a lot less pressure to develop quickly in Minnesota than he would in Cleveland.

I was in favor of the Love trade at the time, and I have to admit it's not looking great, but I will still say

1) When love/kyrie/lebron all play, the Cavs record is pretty ridiculous.
2) I don't think t hey could rely on a rookie on a team that was in win now mode. Wiggins has a lot less pressure to develop quickly in Minnesota than he would in Cleveland.

It's a fair point, but relying on two alleged superstars that don't play defense (I don't care what anyone says about Love, he cannot be on the floor against the top teams in terms of D) and get injured often is a recipe for disaster.

It was known that Wiggins could be an above average to good wing defender from day one and has a ceiling of being an all-nba defense wing defender. They didn't need scoring, they needed defense.

The guy was 83-40 and went to the nba finals, he didn't deserve to be fired. Tyronne Lue looks like the ball boy, this is all about Lebron flexing his muscles and getting his way.

You keep saying they were 83-40 and went to the finals like Blatt did this miraculous coaching job to pull it off. By all accounts it was a train wreck behind the scenes. Regardless of your judgement on Lue's appearance, he is far more respected and well thought of in the NBA than Blatt who many viewed as a joke.

Honestly, just read some of those articles. Blatt did not do a good job, which wasn't entirely his fault as many have said because he expected a totally different situation but was in over his head the second Lebron said he was coming home.

You keep saying they were 83-40 and went to the finals like Blatt did this miraculous coaching job to pull it off. By all accounts it was a train wreck behind the scenes. Regardless of your judgement on Lue's appearance, he is far more respected and well thought of in the NBA than Blatt who many viewed as a joke.

Honestly, just read some of those articles. Blatt did not do a good job, which wasn't entirely his fault as many have said because he expected a totally different situation but was in over his head the second Lebron said he was coming home.

Like Bill Parcells said, you are what your record is, they guy won a lot of games, we don't know what went on behind the scenes, but Lue Better win a title, that is the only way he can outperform Blatt.

Listen to Windhorst on Zach Lowe's pod.

It is clear that this was mismanaged from the get go, but Bron gave up on Blatt right at the begging of his tenure. If Bron isn't on board, whether directly or indirectly, he was the cause of the team turning on him.

Is there a new one? I'll have to check it out. I remember last year I think it may have been Windhorst on the BS Report where he shared a lot of stories that sounded like the firing probably should've happened sooner than it did.

I agree with you 100%. I think Lebron genuinely felt like his basketball IQ was higher than Blatt's and never gave him a chance and when a guy like Lebron tunes you out then the rest of the guys obviously will take his lead. Difference in Miami was that Wade and Riley were there to back Spoelstra up when he held his ground.

I'm admittedly a Lebron fan and I get the feel good story of going home and winning one for Cleveland but right when he announced it I texted my buddy and said he's going to remember real quick how much more inferior the Cleveland front office is than Miami's.

According to someone on twitter, the Cavs record with all Lebron/Love/Kyrie is 47-8. Which is 70 win pace. Just saying.

I also think part of the difference between Cleveland and Miami is Lebron didn't have any rings when he got to Miami.

According to someone on twitter, the Cavs record with all Lebron/Love/Kyrie is 47-8. Which is 70 win pace. Just saying.

I also think part of the difference between Cleveland and Miami is Lebron didn't have any rings when he got to Miami.

LeBron was actually worse even before Miami. The entourage wanted to be all over the place with him. Also, he was so bad at the 2004 olympics that they had to talk to him before the 2008 olympics.

Listen, he didn't kill anyone. So it's not that big of a deal. But Bron's circle of people have been a big deal since he got to the league.

LeBron was actually worse even before Miami. The entourage wanted to be all over the place with him. Also, he was so bad at the 2004 olympics that they had to talk to him before the 2008 olympics.

Listen, he didn't kill anyone. So it's not that big of a deal. But Bron's circle of people have been a big deal since he got to the league.

I'm not saying that; I just mean in the sense that he didn't win in Cleveland, he clearly went to Miami in large part because he thought they had the best chance to win a ring, so he was more willing to be subservient to others (may not be the right word, but you take my point) to get it, especially someone like riley who has won a million. He's now got his rings, David Blatt hasn't accomplished anything in the nba, so I'm not surprised he had little to no respect for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom