Class of 2017 - CB Devin Butler (ND Grad Transfer) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 CB Devin Butler (ND Grad Transfer) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE

How could they possibly have known that a player who didn't even play in 2016 was better than their current starter ? I'm not saying he isn't at the end of the day but not sure how the staff could have made that judgment in season (kid says he committed back in Nov.). Lord knows we need all of the help we can get on D.
I agree completely. I wish Winfield would have stayed. More experience is always better, even if he didn't start.

How could they possibly have known that a player who didn't even play in 2016 was better than their current starter ? I'm not saying he isn't at the end of the day but not sure how the staff could have made that judgment in season (kid says he committed back in Nov.). Lord knows we need all of the help we can get on D.

He was hurt so he didn't play in 2016. That said we're a better team with Winfield. End of story.

These two together would've been nice.

Kid fights a cop ... we welcome him with open arms.

J/k. Good pick up. Wish we kept Winfield too though. Need all the depth we can get (for specials too).

/shrugs/ maybe his three previous years on film showed more than what they were getting from Winfield and what his potential for next year was.

I'm assuming coaches do exit interviews with all of the players after the end of each season (Bams and bcubs may refute this). Winfield's abrupt departure indicates to me that he was told his playing time would be decreased. Coincide that with Butler's transfer shortly after and it doesn't take much to connect the dots.
Was Winfield the kid with the like 75 inch vertical?

I think this is exactly where we need a Grad Transfer ... in addition to a handful of other positions

I like to think Butler and the rest of today's haul was a silver lining to the additional time staff had w/o Bowl preparation.

Interesting pickup. Watched a fair amount of ND football the in his three seasons always thought he had some nice potential. Was always a bit surprised he wasn't more involved in the starting mix defensively. Not saying I know what SU got here, but certainly didn't look like a stiff. Definitely worth the gamble.

As for whatever happened off the field I'll say this: To a large extent ND takes this stuff seriously. Everyone here will bring up the rape case from the late 90s or early '00s which is fine but this is a program that suspended it's starting QB (Golson) fresh off going to the title game and then suspended it's best hoops player (jerian Grant) I believe basically the next season -- both due to academics. They've also kicked kids off teams for bar fights and other stuff. They don't, as a general rule, put up with the ridiculous behavior that many other schools do put up with. All of that is to say that I would have to believe that if they truly believed Butler was a bad kid or was swinging at cops and committing felonies, I don't think they'd let him hang around. Take it for what it's worth.

kinda weird that they take those more seriously than a coach that sends a kid up in a scissor lift in 40mph winds

more like a pulling guard on crutches
ouch! If so I would still be in play at SU, which is more than can be said for the fullback position.

The huge thing here is that he graduates in December and can be on campus in January for winter conditioning and spring practices unlike most grad transfers. There are a lot of questions with grad transfers that typically start with how they can successfully assimilate onto the team (usually only being there for summer workouts/fall camp) so this extra semester should help immensely.

How will they distinguish names on jerseys? Spell out the entire first name?

kinda weird that they take those more seriously than a coach that sends a kid up in a scissor lift in 40mph winds

Glad to see you missed the point entirely and instead of contributing to the discussion on Butler made a typical douchey internet comment.

Only point was that for all the comments like yours ND tends to take athlete disciplinary stuff far more seriously than most schools -- SU clearly included -- so if they felt Butler's actions were serious enough to result in a felony he would probably have been gone long before.

So, w/o knowing the specifics, my guess is the incident was more bar fight and less felony assault on an officer.

So read the post and, you know, comprehend the point.

Listen I think tbe coaches knew what they had and what could be back and decided this guy was the better option. I think after Amba-Etta Tawu the coaches have earned that rope.
Syracuse did right by Winfield he got a degree in his 4 years and will get to play 1 more year probably closer to home.

So, if I am reading this correctly (and not just this post but others on this subject), the theory is that the staff told a potential returning starter (debatable, but likely the best we currently have at his position) that he would likely have less playing time next year, and its cool if he just moves on. All before anyone else has even stepped foot on campus? Getting hurt in camp? or game 1?

I mean, I am sure the staff if comfortable with what they have coming back and coming in...but i find it hard to believe that the coaches would tell Corey that he will likely play less several months down the road...when they really dont know what they have.

I just dont agree with this theory myself...but I have been wrong before. Twice to be exact.

So, if I am reading this correctly (and not just this post but others on this subject), the theory is that the staff told a potential returning starter (debatable, but likely the best we currently have at his position) that he would likely have less playing time next year, and its cool if he just moves on. All before anyone else has even stepped foot on campus? Getting hurt in camp? or game 1?

I mean, I am sure the staff if comfortable with what they have coming back and coming in...but i find it hard to believe that the coaches would tell Corey that he will likely play less several months down the road...when they really dont know what they have.

I just dont agree with this theory myself...but I have been wrong before. Twice to be exact.
I thought I made a mistake once but I was wrong.

I hate to tell you this but I think you are wrong again.

I hate to tell you this but I think you are wrong again.

It happens...but I still have a hard time seeing that scenario play out. If it did, it did. I trust the staff and have complete faith, haven't been this excited about Cuse football in a very very long time. But I still believe it would have been a shortsighted move, I am sure it will work out splendidly either way.