Class of 2014 - CB Lamar Dawson (IL) to Utah State | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 CB Lamar Dawson (IL) to Utah State

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Twitter? Judas, everyone takes themselves so seriously. Can we just stop talking about it? Who cares? Put it to bed.

I hate twitter. its for celebrities and teenagers. That said, twitter is nothing but a positive when it comes to recruiting. That's all the fundamental point was of this meaningless thread. People just like to argue out of boredom i guess. We are all SU fans here and NONE of us are right or wrong. Its all opinion. Period.

One final thought - if the supposed effectiveness of the twitter army is to show a recruit how passionate and involved a fan base is, then isn't this easily undone by simply showing what the Dome looks like on any given Saturday the past several seasons? Like it or not, the Dome isn't selling out 55k (or so) seats where many of these other schools are selling out up to double that. If I'm recruiting against Syracuse and the kid seems impressed with the twitter love, I just point to a picture of a half filled Dome and say it is smoke and mirrors. For the sake of Syracuse, I really really really hope the twitter love isn't a big piece of the recruiting pie, because if it is we're doomed.
Bingo, been thinking that all along.

Oh man this twitter debate is getting old.
It does seem likely that the NCAA is never going to do anything about it. Everything I've said about it related to the (potential) danger of NCAA sanction. So that's out the way, but what about the propriety of doing it in the first place? For the record, I don't like it. And I can see why the NCAA would want to ban it, under the general category of "communication with recruits."

Used to be that to be a good fan, all you had to do was show up at the games and support the team. Maybe wear some team gear to show your pride when you're out and about. And hey, if you've got money to burn, donate to the athletic department. You didn't interact with recruits, and you had limited contact with the actual players. Maybe you see them at a team event to have them sign your kid's cap. Give them a holler as they head into the tunnel on game day, etc.

The problem arises when boosters take it upon themselves to "support the team" by getting involved beyond that limited fan role. They want to "make a difference" and step outside the box of what is proper. I believe that the NCAA, and individual programs, should do whatever they can to keep fandom as just that - fandom. They shouldn't cultivate an atmosphere or environment in which fans try to be more than fans, however innocuous it seems.

You could see the stink arising on the recruiting side when writers for the paid sites, like our good buddy Farrell, were clearly taking advantage of their role to act as a booster for a program. Hey look, Joe Blow thinks he can be a better fan by getting involved in the process, steering recruits, cheering and shilling for his chosen program, blah blah. Wannabe cops on a small scale.

So now we are going to be cultivating a new generation of "fans" who think it's OK to be contacting recruits directly, all in the name of supporting the program. So you can't police it, and hey, what does a random fan have to offer a recruit, actually? As long as he isn't offering something, it's just chatter, right? Well, sure, most of the time. And there is even a good logical way to amend the NCAA rules to account for all this, so that the NCAA isn't left looking stupid for having a rule that they can't enforce.

But I guarantee you, throw enough of this manure on the pile, and you will get weeds.

I could care less whether we get recruits or not as a result of fans contacting the recruit directly. That's a place I don't want to go, just like that obscene middle-0f-the-night visit that an ND coach made to Ishaq Williams a couple years ago.

Bingo, been thinking that all along.
I can't think of a good analogy at the moment...but though two things may be proving the same point, they may not have the same degree of impact. For whatever reason twitter resonates with these kids.

I hate twitter. its for celebrities and teenagers. That said, twitter is nothing but a positive when it comes to recruiting. That's all the fundamental point was of this meaningless thread. People just like to argue out of boredom i guess. We are all SU fans here and NONE of us are right or wrong. Its all opinion. Period.

Easy now. In my profession, freelance design jobs come aplenty from twitter. Also - access to people you'd normally not have access to can be beneficial too. Recruiting is just one minor use. Twitter has been disruptive technology for a lot of business models/systems.

Ruh roh. Nebraska is sniffing around. Dawson says he was on the phone with Bo Pelini. The problems of having a good class. Can we keep it together and close strong? That will be the question.

BbnZVdiCMAA7jeZ.jpg

Lamar just posted this to his twitter, hope everything works out:

LAMBO DAW☞
‏@LamarDawson
20m
I'm just asking everyone who knows me to please pray for me really hard im being tested for leukemia

Tweeted he's cancer free but still has other "Complications". Still good to hear, obviously

Obviously this is good, but still nerve-wracking to hear he is undergoing the complications that make people think leukemia.

Obviously this is good, but still nerve-wracking to hear he is undergoing the complications that make people think leukemia.

Good to hear. Sometimes an initial leukemia diagnosis turns into sickle cell. Hope that's not the case here. At least you can live with sickle cell, though.

Good to hear. Sometimes an initial leukemia diagnosis turns into sickle cell. Hope that's not the case here. At least you can live with sickle cell, though.

That was my very first thought when he posted that he was being tested for Leukemia that if they weren't sure it could be sickle cell anemia.

Lamar just posted this to his twitter, hope everything works out:
LAMBO DAW☞ ‏@LamarDawson 20m
I'm just asking everyone who knows me to please pray for me really hard im being tested for leukemia

I have only told a couple people on this board this but in April my youngest daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia. It has been a horrible year for my family. She just finished her first treatment phase and is entering her last 2 year treatment phase. It is a struggle in every aspect of a families life. My families prayers and thoughts are with him. Hope it comes back clean. I wish what my family went through on nobody even my worst enemy.

Last edited:
I have only told a couple people on this board this but in April my youngest daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia. It has been a horrible year for my family. She just finished her first treatment phase and is entering her last 2 year treatment phase. It is a struggle in every aspect of a families life. My families prayers and thoughts are with him. Hope it comes back clean. I wish what my family went through on nobody even my worst enemy.

Geez Phil, I'm sorry to hear this about your daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I really hope everything turns out for the best.

I'm glad you shared. It keeps things around here in perspective.

Geez Phil, I'm sorry to hear this about your daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I really hope everything turns out for the best.

I'm glad you shared. It keeps things around here in perspective.

Thanks. It is hard to talk about as a father watching your 3 year old daughter go through this on a daily basis is heart breaking. I can do nothing for her but offer my love and support. She is the bravest and most inspiring person I know. She wakes up every day with a smile on her face.

She is doing well. She was given a great success rate and she has been meeting her goals every step of the way.

Phil so sorry to hear this I can't imagine how hard this process must have been. I will be thinking of you and your daughter in my prayers. Thank you for sharing with all of us thats never easy, I second your best wishes for Lamar's tests to come back clean. Take care and best wishes for your daughters treatments to be successful.

Thanks. It is hard to talk about as a father watching your 3 year old daughter go through this on a daily basis is heart breaking. I can do nothing for her but offer my love and support. She is the bravest and most inspiring person I know. She wakes up every day with a smile on her face.

She is doing well. She was given a great success rate and she has been meeting her goals every step of the way.
Sounds like an awesome young girl. As hard as it is on her I'm pretty sure it is harder on her father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom