Class of 2014 - CB Lamar Dawson (IL) to Utah State | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 CB Lamar Dawson (IL) to Utah State

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I did misinterpret that, I thought it was a really low blow didn't seem right for him to say that but turns out I read it wrong:bang:

texascpa said:
Wait. What? That doesn't sound like a Shafer move at all. Wonder what happened.

We were at 25 scholarships so really didn't have a choice. Maybe we didn't think he'd be ready and when someone like Womack became available it was too good to pass up.

Who knows though, I'm just trying to come up with something? But we have shown with dropping players (Missouri kid) that we play the same game as everyone else when it comes to filling out the roster. Totally fine by me as long as Dawson was offered some sort of academic scholarship.

Wait. What? That doesn't sound like a Shafer move at all. Wonder what happened.

Dawson didn't play football in 2014. I think he hoped to come in with the 2015s but I believe he wasn't cleared medically. He had/has a very serious illness and may never play football again. Going prep and finding out if he can still play is probably a safe choice.

CuseLegacy said:
Dawson didn't play football in 2014. I think he hoped to come in with the 2015s but I believe he wasn't cleared medically. He had/has a very serious illness and may never play football again. Going prep and finding out if he can still play is probably a safe choice.

Totally agree. With all due respect to the kid this isn't Pop Warner. You have to be able to protect yourself and if he's only like 150kbs and hasn't played football in 2 years you run a major risk of getting hurt. I'm totally fine with Shafer telling him to go to Prep school to show he can still play at this level, just as long as he was guaranteed an academic scholarship of some sort here.

anomander said:
Totally agree. With all due respect to the kid this isn't Pop Warner. You have to be able to protect yourself and if he's only like 150kbs and hasn't played football in 2 years you run a major risk of getting hurt. I'm totally fine with Shafer telling him to go to Prep school to show he can still play at this level, just as long as he was guaranteed an academic scholarship of some sort here.

Yep - and the negative slant is just syr.com doing what the do. Click bait! Controversy!

If Blair doesn't qualify I wonder if they bring him in

If they bring Dawson in, then Blair would have to roll to the Class of 2016 (since we'd have used up all 25 schollies for 2015). And we're already short on schollies for 2016.

Besides, I'd rather see Dawson play a year at a Prep school than have him redshirt here.

If they bring Dawson in, then Blair would have to roll to the Class of 2016 (since we'd have used up all 25 schollies for 2015). And we're already short on schollies for 2016.

Besides, I'd rather see Dawson play a year at a Prep school than have him redshirt here.

If Blair doesn't qualify he comes in 16 anyways though or not ever.

Last edited:
If Blair doesn't qualify he comes in 16 anyways or not ever.

If he goes to Milford or some other Prep, and can raise his grade in one semester, he could enroll in January 2016 and still count towards 2015.

EDIT: Actually he could swap spots with Ginnetti, as long as one of them arrives in Jan 2016.

Ginnetti would count towards 2015 with Blair pushed to 2016, and it wouldn't affect our 2016 totals.

I feel horrible for the kid and haven't really been following this but I was always skeptical about whether he would return to football after an aplastic anemia diagnosis. I am no hematologist and perhaps an autologous or allogenic marrow transplant was done with great success but I wouldn't be surprised if a football coach would be very hesitant about taking responsibility for someone with such a complicated medical past. I assumed he would get one of those four year scholarships that acknowledge the commitment the University made to him and also protect the player from himself by encouraging him to stay involved with the team through non-playing activities while getting a degree. If this option was not offered him I would be disappointed. It just doesn't seem that SU and the football program operate this way and since there are significant counter examples I wonder if there has been some miscommunication somewhere.

I'm not sure that the staff would have the authority to grant an academic scholarship.

I'm not sure that the staff would have the authority to grant an academic scholarship.

I meant the type of scholarship that Marona, Knapp, Johnson and others who had career ending injuries were granted. Or would you already have to be enrolled? I'm sure there would be some way they could figure it out?

I meant the type of scholarship that Marona, Knapp, Johnson and others who had career ending injuries were granted. Or would you already have to be enrolled? I'm sure there would be some way they could figure it out?

15.5.1.2 Counter Who Becomes Injured or Ill.
A counter who becomes injured or ill to the point that he or she apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics shall not be considered a counter beginning with the academic year following the incapacitating injury or illness.

15.5.1.2.1 Incapacitating Injury or Illness
If an incapacitating injury or illness occurs prior to a prospective student-athlete’s or a student-athlete’s participation in athletically related activities and results in the student-athlete’s inability to compete ever again, the student-athlete shall not be counted within the institution’s maximum financial aid award limitations for the current, as well as later, academic years. However, if the incapacitating injury or illness occurs on or after the student-athlete’s participation in countable athletically related activities in the sport, the student-athlete shall be counted in the institution’s maximum financial aid limitations for the current academic year but need not be counted in later academic years. (Adopted: 1/10/91, Revised: 3/26/04, 9/18/07)

15.5.1.2 Counter Who Becomes Injured or Ill.
A counter who becomes injured or ill to the point that he or she apparently never again will be able to participate in intercollegiate athletics shall not be considered a counter beginning with the academic year following the incapacitating injury or illness.

15.5.1.2.1 Incapacitating Injury or Illness
If an incapacitating injury or illness occurs prior to a prospective student-athlete’s or a student-athlete’s participation in athletically related activities and results in the student-athlete’s inability to compete ever again, the student-athlete shall not be counted within the institution’s maximum financial aid award limitations for the current, as well as later, academic years. However, if the incapacitating injury or illness occurs on or after the student-athlete’s participation in countable athletically related activities in the sport, the student-athlete shall be counted in the institution’s maximum financial aid limitations for the current academic year but need not be counted in later academic years. (Adopted: 1/10/91, Revised: 3/26/04, 9/18/07)

So he was never a counter, because he never enrolled, so the first clause is irrelevant, right?

For the second, he does have a potential incapacitating illness, but it was not athletic related. I'm wondering if it would have to be 100% academic and in the hands of the educational branch of the university and not the AD, because he never enrolled and became a counter. The only other case that is close that I can think of is Jermaine Pierce but I believe he did enroll and became a counter before he got his terrible news.

They were all enrolled. Even Pierce was enrolled. Dawson never was physically able to enroll and become a counter so I would think this would be in the hands of the academic administration if Dawson is never able to play. Shafer's not going to give an athletic scholarship to someone who can't physically play.

They were all enrolled. Even Pierce was enrolled. Dawson never was physically able to enroll and become a counter so I would think this would be in the hands of the academic administration if Dawson is never able to play. Shafer's not going to give an athletic scholarship to someone who can't physically play.

that makes sense. The academics admin needs to step up. Of course, the young man needs to accept it. He wants to play football and the only way he can do that right now is via a JC. If that doesn't go well, you would hope that SU will still offer him an academic ride. If they do, he needs to take it.

that makes sense. The academics admin needs to step up. Of course, the young man needs to accept it. He wants to play football and the only way he can do that right now is via a JC. If that doesn't go well, you would hope that SU will still offer him an academic ride. If they do, he needs to take it.

Exactly. There's a few scenarios here and one is that he is physically able to play ball, but not able to play at SU but could play at a lower level. In that case if he still wants to play ball he may want to go elsewhere anyway.

tep624 said:

Totally agree. I believe Dawson was a very good student. The University should step up and make sure he knows he has an academic scholarship if he chooses, but he can't just expect to be given a football scholarship after not playing for 2 years. He might have to make s choice football, or school, but either way Shafer would have fulfilled his obligation imo.

Consider a scenario where a kid is offered a chance to receive a full scholarship, but the stipulation is he cannot play football again due to medical reasoning.

When weighing his options, he decides that he wants to play football again.

Unfortunately, the way things work - right or wrong - prevent the offer from being accepted if the kid decides he wants to play football again. The program cannot take a chance to offer one of 85 scholarships on a kid without assurance that the kid is able to compete at a satisfactory level, and most importantly is 100% physically capable.

The kid decides he will attempt to prove his level at a prep school. And the football program tells him that if he performs at a satisfactory level, there could be room for him.

Consider a scenario where a kid is offered a chance to receive a full scholarship, but the stipulation is he cannot play football again due to medical reasoning.

When weighing his options, he decides that he wants to play football again.

Unfortunately, the way things work - right or wrong - prevent the offer from being accepted if the kid decides he wants to play football again. The program cannot take a chance to offer one of 85 scholarships on a kid without assurance that the kid is able to compete at a satisfactory level, and most importantly is 100% physically capable.

The kid decides he will attempt to prove his level at a prep school. And the football program tells him that if he performs at a satisfactory level, there could be room for him.

That's right. If he accepts an academic scholarship, it would be contingent on him being a medical disqualify, or else he would count against football since he was a recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom