CFN bowl prediction for us as of today... | Syracusefan.com

CFN bowl prediction for us as of today...

Jerry Palm didn't have us in a bowl in his latest prediction yesterday for whatever that is worth. Not much imho

Jerry Palm didn't have us in a bowl in his latest prediction yesterday for whatever that is worth. Not much imho
He had us in one a few months ago and then pulled us out when he updated it over the summer. Not sure what we did to change his mind in that time. So, yeah, he is a pinhead

I think the people who do these bowl predictions don't have us in because they don't know if we are any good yet. Are we the team that had to sneak by a very game Villinova team, or are we the team that came out and crushed CMU by 37? I think this weeks game against Maryland will go a long way in determining the kind of respect we get throughout the season.

I think the people who do these bowl predictions don't have us in because they don't know if we are any good yet. Are we the team that had to sneak by a very game Villinova team, or are we the team that came out and crushed CMU by 37? I think this weeks game against Maryland will go a long way in determining the kind of respect we get throughout the season.
Can't really blame them. Nova is not near as good as we made them look and CMU is better than we made them look. The Maryland game is the first real game of the season.

Phil Steele is the one to watch. If he has us out of a bowl it means we are going bowling 100%

Steele has us in the Quick Lane Bowl against Minnesota. It must mean we're running the table and headed to either the Rose or Sugar.

If we have to go to a low-tier bowl, I think this would be a lot of fun...

New Era Pinstripe Bowl
Yankee Stadium, Bronx, NY
Saturday, Dec. 27, 4:30 p.m. ET ESPN
ACC vs. Big Ten
Preseason Prediction: Syracuse vs. Penn State
If this comes true it will be the first Pinstripe I will actually attend. I would still prefer a southern bowl game though.

WVU v. Maryland was a great game this week. WVU is vastly improved, but still its a very tough schedule for an ok team to eek out 6 wins with. The offensive play calling and scheme is just vastly superior to most other teams and way ahead of ours. QB Clint Trickett threw 37 of 49 for 511 yards and 4 TDs. A couple long passes, but mostly short passes with WR doing all the work with tons of YAC. You see short passes slanting across the field with 3 blockers and the rest of that side of the field cleared out and you know there is one man to be beaten and its a 40 yard plus gain. Our problem isn't just a lack of blocking by the guy with the blocking assignment, its a lack of that quick hit forward momentum screen or flat pass with the WR and blockers already in motion at high speed. We have guys standing there, waiting on the ball for a bubble screen with the defense floating to that spot on the field already and waiting on it. Our plays take 10 times as long to run and even longer to develop. I don't think WVU has more playmakers than we do. I think WVU puts its WR in a position to catch and run free due to a much more advanced and knowledgeable offensive gameplan, scheme and plays.

Maryland is supposed to be vastly improved due to lack of injuries at this point in the year versus last year, but there are some major flaws. CJ Brown had some nice runs, 18 carries for 161 total. Many of those were scrambling to get away from pressure that was in the backfield all day, which he just avoided and ran for days. He will be a problem for us running the ball unless we keep contain. He was pretty ineffective throwing the ball at 19 of 35 for 241 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT. Lots of yards, but those receivers are largely responsible for that with short passes turned into big plays. WR Stefon Diggs is one of the top 5 in the country and caught 5 for 127 yards, however, the major gain was a 79 yard TD catch on blown coverage with him wide open. Otherwise, he was 4 catches for 48 yards, nothing super. WR Deon Long is the other supposed stud recruit who showed glimpses last year and went 4 for 39, which isn't a real problem. He's only got 10 catches on the year. RB Brandon Ross went 5 for 50 out of the backfield on all short passes/screens/flat throws. Again, CJ Brown isn't very good at throwing the ball and the Oline is not great and allowed pressure all day. Keep in mind WVU's secondary was historically bad last year, but improved a lot this year. The Maryland running game was horrible with rushers other than CJ Brown gaining a total of 2 yards. Part of that is playing catch up after being down 3 TDs most of the game, but the Oline looked awful blocking run or pass.

Maryland's defense looked awful. WVU ran for 183 and was fairly effective at it. Maryland DLine got pushed around a good bit. WVU passed for 511, again mostly short passes turned into huge plays. Maryland defense looked out of position, slow and tackled poorly. I think that happens a lot when you get snaps off quickly as WVU does, which is why we and most other teams out there are trying to do that. Maryland was clearly gassed early and often.

Maryland looked good on special teams -- 7 punts for 47 yards average, 2 for 2 on FG including a 46 yarder, 3 for 3 on XPts, 1 punt return for a TD, decent job returning kickoffs, decent on kick coverage.

WVU had 4 turnovers, gave up a punt return for a TD, had a muffed punt return fumble that gave the ball to Maryland inside the 10, and a blocked FG. Otherwise, this was a blowout victory. We need to take care of the ball and we should win.

This might be one of those games where Bullough dials down the blitzes, and puts a spy on Brown, making him beat us through the air. Bullough really needs to come up with a good game plan cause this is a game we have to, and should win.

We should be able to score on offense. I don't think we can count on putting together 12+ play drives one after another like we did against CMU. We really need some explosive plays. Other then garbage time when AAM had a couple big runs, I don't recall too many 20+ yard plays. Not sure if that's play calling, or players, but i'm going with play calling. George was much better vs CMU, but was still a bit choppy. I'd really like to see a nice game plan from McDonald because this Maryland defense can be had.

Love the Pinstripe bowl, can't wait to go to another one honestly.

Love the Pinstripe bowl, can't wait to go to another one honestly.
I really enjoyed the Pinstripe vs WVU. I had a blast. Saying that, what are our chances of getting to the Belk Bowl? What kind of W-L record will we need?

I really enjoyed the Pinstripe vs WVU. I had a blast. Saying that, what are our chances of getting to the Belk Bowl? What kind of W-L record will we need?

My wife and a bunch of our tailgate crew about 20 of us got our own bus to go to the Pinstripe vs. K State. Was an absolute blast! Loved every minute of it.

Not sure of our chances, not sure who we have to beat but let's make it happen. It was a lot of fun.

This might be one of those games where Bullough dials down the blitzes, and puts a spy on Brown, making him beat us through the air. Bullough really needs to come up with a good game plan cause this is a game we have to, and should win.

We should be able to score on offense. I don't think we can count on putting together 12+ play drives one after another like we did against CMU. We really need some explosive plays. Other then garbage time when AAM had a couple big runs, I don't recall too many 20+ yard plays. Not sure if that's play calling, or players, but i'm going with play calling. George was much better vs CMU, but was still a bit choppy. I'd really like to see a nice game plan from McDonald because this Maryland defense can be had.
With the way their OL seems to be playing -- very poorly -- it may not take blitzing the house to get to the QB. Which would be awesome.

What are all the bowl tie ins this year btw?

after any playoff teams it goes:
1st Orange Bowl
2nd to Russell Athletic bowl unless big ten is orange bowl opponent then 2nd to capital one bowl. at this point seems unlikely for this year)

then group of 4 bowls for spots 3-6:
music city or Gator Bowl(3 times for each bowl in 6 years)
Sun Bowl
BelkBowl
Pinstripe bowl

group of 7-10:
Military Bowl
Detroit Bowl
Independence Bowl
St petersburg bowl(3 times in 6 yrs ,backup other 3 years)

if other conference can fill there bowl agreements we backup :
Birmingham bowl

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom