Champions League | Syracusefan.com

Champions League

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Anybody been watching the semifinals? What an upset yesterday, with Juventus knocking out Real Madrid! Juve has the athleticism in midfield with Pobga and Vidal to match up with anyone. I know Pogba is the most sought after player in the world right now, but he still seems a bit raw out there to me. Yes, amazing athleticism, and occasionally some jaw-dropping display of skill, but he just doesn't bring it for 90 minutes. Pirlo is not the player he was just a year or two ago, and gets caught in possession or makes the stray pass far too frequently, but he can still conjure some magic, especially from set pieces. This is his last year playing in Italy (age 36), so he is certainly going out with a bang. Juve (or ANY Italian team) haven't made it this far in over a decade. And the delicious irony that it was a former Real Madrid cast-off who bagged the winning goal, Alvaro Morata. I was also delighted for Gigi Buffon, who was spectacular in goal last night. Still at the very top of his game, forced into a handful of excellent saves by Real.

On the other side of the draw, it was a long shot for Bayern to get back into the tie, but when they got that first goal, they had some hope. Barca quickly doused that flame with 2 goals in response before halftime, and it was all over. This Barca team does not press as well as the classic Pep team from about 2011 or so, but they have so much offense up front with Messi, Neymar and Suarez, who fits in so well now that he's had six months of regular play with the others. Luis Enrique, the coach, has instilled better defense than Pep has coached (either at Barca or at Bayern these past couple years). They have pretty much won La Liga and will likely be favorites in the Final against Juventus. But Juve are just as schooled in the dark arts of cheating and gamesmanship as Barca, so this will be one hell of a Final.

Very well written. I'm excited that it won't be an all Spanish CL final again... and also because I loathe Cryanldo. Old habits die hard.

BxEv1FeIAAA9Tcr.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom