Chinonso Obokoh | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Chinonso Obokoh

I agree with Cali on this one. Based on expectations, which aren't always fair, I think that Coleman has been a mild disappointment. He played in the McDonald's game and was a heavy recruit for Kentucky. The hype was beyond his abilities. The level of competition he faced was dramatically inferior to some of our other recruits. Having said that, I think he will progress from here and end up being a very solid player, hopefully next year.

I agree with Cali on this one. Based on expectations, which aren't always fair, I think that Coleman has been a mild disappointment. He played in the McDonald's game and was a heavy recruit for Kentucky. The hype was beyond his abilities. The level of competition he faced was dramatically inferior to some of our other recruits. Having said that, I think he will progress from here and end up being a very solid player, hopefully next year.

I posted this a couple weeks ago (didn't update it), but it shows that Coleman is right where he should be developmentally and fans are just crazy with expectations:

Big men take a while to develop. Coleman is right where he should be on the development curve. Just because fans expectations were too high (especially with 2 big men returning in Christmas and Keita) doesn't mean the kid is struggling.

Looking at last year's game alone (started with 09 - too much work), here are the big men in it:

Dajuan Coleman (Syracuse)
5 points, 4 boards in 14 minutes
Perry Ellis (Kansas)
5 points, 4 boards in 15 minutes
Shaq Goodwin (Memphis)
9 points, 5 boards in 22 minutes
Amile Jefferson (Duke)
5 points, 3 boards in 12 minutes
Tony Parker (UCLA)
2 points, 1 board in 7 minutes
Brandon Ashley (Arizona)
8 points, 6 boards in 22 minutes
Isaiah Austin (Baylor)
15 points, 9 boards in 31 minutes
Anthony Bennett (UNLV)
18 points, 9 boards in 28 minutes
Grant Jerrett (Arizona)
5 points, 4 boards in 18 minutes
Devonta Pollard (Alabama)
5 points, 3 boards in 22 minutes
Cameron Ridley (Texas)
5 points, 5 boards in 19 minutes

Cuse doesn't find to many true pf's for its zone. Finding a 6'9 strongly built player like Senior Rick Jackson is such a blessing. Rick had
1. the speed to recover to the baseline
2. the speed to watch the three point line and go after every rebound at the same time
3. the want to rebound well away from the bucket
4. was a outstanding outlet passer and
5. did not get muscled past on D.
We won't find to many PF's like that.
And he was also a solid 6th man scorer that you could isolate in the high or low post with the ability to bump his way inside off the dribble.

I can't imagine how much desire and intensity it takes to achieve a status like that in JB's zone.

I looked at some of the younger pics of Dajuan back in 9th-10th grade and I saw a young Derrick Coleman-like build. I Hope he can trim down some and show more of a verticle and speed change.

And after watching Rak the last two years, he loves to make a massive block, a monster dunk, or to bump in the lane like any other guy we have ever had. I am just waiting for him to realize that he has to take the ball on defense and to do everything in his power to get a confident layup/hook in the paint.

BK trails Rush-Henrietta 18-16 at the half in the Section V semi's. Rush closed the half on a 10-2 run. I'll keep you guys updated throughout in this post.

BK up 33-27 in the of the 3rd Qtr.

BK up 37-35 2 minutes left.

BK closing this one out up 44-38 with around 20 secs left.

Now final BK wins 46-38 and will now play for the Section V championship on Sunday. It's been a long season for them dealing with all of the preseason hype, injuries, and drama, but they overcame all of that. So BIG congrats to Chino and the gang for making the best of their season and good luck in the championship game.

An
BK trails Rush-Henrietta 18-16 at the half in the Section V semi's. Rush closed the half on a 10-2 run. I'll keep you guys updated throughout in this post.

BK up 33-27 in the of the 3rd Qtr.

BK up 37-35 2 minutes left.
and...

An
and...
They won.
18541-dynomite.jpg

I posted this a couple weeks ago (didn't update it), but it shows that Coleman is right where he should be developmentally and fans are just crazy with expectations:

Big men take a while to develop. Coleman is right where he should be on the development curve. Just because fans expectations were too high (especially with 2 big men returning in Christmas and Keita) doesn't mean the kid is struggling.

Looking at last year's game alone (started with 09 - too much work), here are the big men in it:

Dajuan Coleman (Syracuse)
5 points, 4 boards in 14 minutes

Here's couple more guys that didn't play Mickey D's. I'm sure I am not alone when I say I wish that DC would have gotten more mpg.

Nerlens Noel
10.5 pts, 9.5 pts in 31.9 mpg

Willie Cauley-Stein
8.2 pts, 5.7 rpg in 21.8 mpg

BK won over Section V AA2 champ Greece Athena 63-51. Bryant had 18pts and Chino had 15pts. They play Jamestown next on Saturday in the State regional round. Jamestown beat Niagara Falls to win the Section VI chip. So it should be a good game between the two.

Hope to attend the Bishop Kearney game against Buffalo winner this Saturday. Not sure of the time yet. Will give a follow up report. They seem to be playing better at the end of the season so hopefully they can get on a nice run. I'm sure the game will be close. Any other locals plan on attending?

Hope to attend the Bishop Kearney game against Buffalo winner this Saturday. Not sure of the time yet. Will give a follow up report. They seem to be playing better at the end of the season so hopefully they can get on a nice run. I'm sure the game will be close. Any other locals plan on attending?
They play Jamestown at 8:45. With Mt. Vernon losing section 1 to New Rochelle in that crazy finish. BK is now the most talented team left in the state sectional tourney. As they say though, the most talented team don't always win. So Chino and the gang will have to bring their A game in each contest.

http://www.nysbasketballbrackets.com/2013/13stateaa.html
You can check out the whole bracket there.

Sounds like their point guard, Antoine Anderson, might be their best player. On a short film clip he looked pretty good. Not sure at what level he is being recruited.

Sounds like their point guard, Antoine Anderson, might be their best player. On a short film clip he looked pretty good. Not sure at what level he is being recruited.

I actually played for the same AAU organization as Antoine but on one of the older teams (he was only like 15 at the time). He's a talented kid too. I think he's gotten interest from some smaller local D1 schools like Niagara if I recall correctly.

BK defeated Jamestown 53-41 in the state regional round and will now play Troy next Saturday in the semi's. Troy has some size with bigs at 6'9 and 6'7 to deal with Chino and Bryant down low. Should be a good game.

Edit:Here goes a mini recap of the game.

"Bishop Kearney trailed at halftime, but took control right at the start of the second half to advance to next weekend's semifinals in Glens Falls. Chinonso Obokoh and Alvin English fueled an 11-2 run by Bishop Kearney in the third quarter, with five and six points respectively. Thomas Bryant and Obokoh led Bishop Kearney with 12 points. Bryant's 13 rebounds and Obokoh's 19 helped the Kings outrebound Jamestown (19-3) 43-24. The Kings will face Troy of Section II in the semifinals on Saturday."

Francis, you get the results out in a hurry. I was at the game. Very impressed with Bryant, he has a decent handle, good passer, and can hit the 3 pointer. Prototypical SU forward, long and lean. Just needs to bulk up as he didn't finish well around the basket. Great skill set though and it just looks like everything comes easily for him. He was all over the court guarding guys much smaller. They used him to do a lot of trapping of smaller guards. Seems comfortable in space out on the floor. Will be a big time recruit, hope SU can get him in Orange.

Obokoh looks to me like a project. He is in serious need of the weight room. He does appear to be more athletic than say Keita, but didn't see much in the way of an inside game. He hit one face up jumper and form on his free throws looked OK. Not having a lot of strength he couldn't really post up very effectively and doesn't rebound as well as you might think given his size mismatch. Will be interesting to see how he does against a team with size.