Chinonso Obokoh | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Chinonso Obokoh

Francis, you get the results out in a hurry. I was at the game. Very impressed with Bryant, he has a decent handle, good passer, and can hit the 3 pointer. Prototypical SU forward, long and lean. Just needs to bulk up as he didn't finish well around the basket. Great skill set though and it just looks like everything comes easily for him. He was all over the court guarding guys much smaller. They used him to do a lot of trapping of smaller guards. Seems comfortable in space out on the floor. Will be a big time recruit, hope SU can get him in Orange.

Obokoh looks to me like a project. He is in serious need of the weight room. He does appear to be more athletic than say Keita, but didn't see much in the way of an inside game. He hit one face up jumper and form on his free throws looked OK. Not having a lot of strength he couldn't really post up very effectively and doesn't rebound as well as you might think given his size mismatch. Will be interesting to see how he does against a team with size.
Thanks for the report.

After being down by 11pts in the 2nd half, Chino and BK rallied back to advanced in the state finals tomorrow against New Rochelle with a 65-58 OT win over Troy. Bryant and Anderson led the way with the scoring and Chino was big on the defensive end. Redshirt Chino, let him bulk up and hit the weights, then in a few years we'll have a very good contributor.

Stats-Chino 4pts, 12rbs, 3blks, Bryant 21pts, 10rbs, 4blks(not bad for a Rutgers/SHU type of recruit lol), Anderson led the way with 25pts.
http://www.sectionvbasketball.com/sectionals2013/aa213semiF.pdf

After being down by 11pts in the 2nd half, Chino and BK rallied back to advanced in the state finals tomorrow against New Rochelle with a 65-58 OT win over Troy. Bryant and Anderson led the way with the scoring and Chino was big on the defensive end. Redshirt Chino, let him bulk up and hit the weights, then in a few years we'll have a very good contributor.

Stats-Chino 4pts, 12rbs, 3blks, Bryant 21pts, 10rbs, 4blks( not bad for a Rutgers/SHU type of recruit lol), Anderson led the way with 25pts.
http://www.sectionvbasketball.com/sectionals2013/aa213semiF.pdf
http://www.democratandchronicle.com...RTS080504&ArtNo=303160039&Ref=PH&Profile=1007

BK state champs.jpg

Congrats to BK on winning the state chip over New Rochelle 45-39. Thomas Bryant named tourney MVP after scoring 15pts, 11rbs, and 4blks. Chino had 4pts, 13rbs, and 8blks. Next up is the state federation tourney on Friday against NYC catholic league winner Christ The King. Isaiah Whitehead and Lincoln could meet the winner of that game in the finals if they get by LI Lutheran. The games will be played in Albany, at The Times Union Center.

Caught the game against New Rochelle on Time Warner. It was a low scoring affair with Bryant getting 1/3 of the Kearney points. Bryant can score in a variety of ways, and like Chino is a natural shot blocker. Had two impressive 3 point shots in the first half and is also an excellent passer. Have to believe that SU has a good shot at this top 5 recruit.

Chino looks good as a shot blocker and rebounder. He really hustles and has a good motor on the defensive end but didn't show me much on the offensive end. He had less than 10 combined points in the two games in Glen Falls. Will really need to hit the weight room and develop some offensive skills before he can contribute much at the ACC level. Would be nice if SU has the luxury of redshirting him next year.

When you look at Chino you can't project him to grow into an Arinze or Fab on the offensive end. He's a center that will do the dirty work (Rebound and Play D) ala Forth and Keita of recent memory. Any offensive output they get from Chino is a complete bonus. I would think he is going to be redshirting because he has no shot of playing over Keita (Sr.), Xmas (Jr.) or Coleman (So.) next year. You would think he could replace Keita's role his RFrosh year. The $1,000,000 will be whether or not BOTH Xmas & Coleman are around at that point.

When you look at Chino you can't project him to grow into an Arinze or Fab on the offensive end. He's a center that will do the dirty work (Rebound and Play D) ala Forth and Keita of recent memory. Any offensive output they get from Chino is a complete bonus. I would think he is going to be redshirting because he has no shot of playing over Keita (Sr.), Xmas (Jr.) or Coleman (So.) next year. You would think he could replace Keita's role his RFrosh year. The $1,000,000 will be whether or not BOTH Xmas & Coleman are around at that point.
The best thing when Chino is ready to play in a few years, is that we'll have so many offensive options like Ennis, Mike G, The Beast, McCullough etc etc that Chino will never have to be relied upon for scoring. Like BMK, he can navigate around the post for open feeds and offensive putbacks. His hands are much better and stronger than BMK, so I expect him to be a better finisher.

The best thing when Chino is ready to play in a few years, is that we'll have so many offensive options like Ennis, Mike G, The Beast, McCullough etc etc that Chino will never have to be relied upon for scoring. Like BMK, he can navigate around the post for open feeds and offensive putbacks. His hands are much better and stronger than BMK, so I expect him to be a better finisher.
and Bryant:)

I have to go with Christ the King to match up with Nazareth...they have God on their side.

I don't think I like the outcomes for Abraham Lincoln and McKinley, esp. with them being out of Buffalo.

On Saturday, how can you not cheer on Fannie Lou Hammer?

On a serious note, the job Francis, Tee and a few others on here is just fantastic. It's great hearing about the players in these posts, not reading some stuff from a "national site" where guys are writing about players that they've often never seen play.

I have to go with Christ the King to match up with Nazareth...they have God on their side.

I don't think I like the outcomes for Abraham Lincoln and McKinley, esp. with them being out of Buffalo.

On a serious note, the job Francis, Tee and a few others on here is just fantastic. It's great hearing these posts, not reading some stuff from a "national site" where guys are writing about players that they've often never seen play.
Much thanks!

And believe me. I will be cheering on Fannie Lou Hamer. With a name like that, I just don't see any other way.
:)

On a serious note, the job Francis, Tee and a few others on here is just fantastic. It's great hearing about the players in these posts, not reading some stuff from a "national site" where guys are writing about players that they've often never seen play.
+1
I have to give props to all the fellow diehard SU fans who share their firsthand info on the kids we are after. This forum is an absolute godsend for a recruiting junkie like me who lives outside the region.

I'm guessing some good "mama" jokes came out of this.
You know, like:
"You're mama's fanny's so big it needed it's own school".
and
"You're mama's so ugly her middle name is Lou".
That's all I've got. For now. :D

You can do better than that with a school called "Fannie Hammer"...

images

http://www.playonsports.com/channels/new-york/events/56102
Full game of BK vs Troy.
Jersey # of the notable players.
Troy
Dyaire Holt #11 2016 PG
Zach Radz #3 2015 PG

BK
Chino #35
Bryant #31
Anderson #5
Godspower #55

I'll try to watch it over the next few days and have a scouting report on the blog.
Watched the game last night and here goes some thoughts on each player.

Troy
Holt-Scoring guard who had a decent game overall. Had three nice drives where he was able to score over Chino inside. Made some bad mistakes in the end that played a part in his team defeat, but hard to fault him because he was the only scoring option from the guard position for Troy. Only a freshman and he was able to hold his own against a talented BK squad. Worth monitoring, but I wouldn't call him an SU type of recruit yet.

Radz-Made no real impact. Shot several threes, which he either missed or ended up getting blocked. Really physically small, and looks to be under 150lbs. Definitely not on SU's level and I'm not sure if he's a D1 player yet imho.

Javion Ogunyemi-Committed to Siena, and he was the best player for Troy. At around 6'7, he can play inside and out with lots of versatility to his game. Struggled some inside against Chino, but was able to knock down several contested jumpers out on the perimeter.

BK
Chino-Troy played a lot of zone, which limited his touches on offense. He had a couple of finishes inside but also had a couple of awkward looking misses. Played good D, contesting every shot and having several blocks and altered shots. What I really like about him on D, is that even though he's not the strongest person out there, he's wiry strong and does a good job holding his position down low when defending. One play that stood out that showed how good his lateral quickness is. Was when he saw an open shooter at the three-point line and he went to contest the shot, but then the shooter ended up passing to a cutter running inside and Obokoh was able to run back quickly inside to block the shot(even though an awful foul call was the end result, but he had all ball). I think he'll always man the middle, but plays like that show you he can make up ground quickly and defend on the wing if he has to.

Bryant-Big time talent and no question a top 10 player in his class. Can handle, shoot, pass, defend, and is really animated filled with energy. Sometimes he lets his emotions get the best of him, but I can never hate on a player who cares to win and is very passionate(the anti Rak). Needs to get stronger but that will come in time and learn when to be and not to be aggressive on defense, because he's prone to pickup cheap fouls. Still only a Sophomore with plenty of time to improve on his flaws and it's scary to think what he'll become when he hits college.

Anderson-Super fast PG. Nobody from Troy could stay in front of him and he was able to get any shot he wanted. Reminded me of Jonny Flynn out on transition with his speed n quickness and the ability to finish. Can get caught up taking bad shots on occasions, but he's their best guard and playmaker so it's hard to blame him. Currently being looked at by MAAC schools, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Catholic 7 or A-10 school start giving him some looks because I think he can definitely play on that level.

Godspower-Big space eater, who size n body is similar to our own DC2. Moves well up n down for his size but not so much laterally with little to no lift in his game. Not much skills overall at the moment, and is basically just used as a big body out there to give either Chino and Bryant some rest. Does anybody know if he's any good in football?

A play that makes me excited about having both Chino and Bryant playing together at SU in a few years. BK was down 43-32 in the 3rd, Troy had all of the momentum on their side. Chino gets the ball at the top of the key and tries to hit Bryant inside. The pass gets picked off and Troy throws an outlet down the court. Chino hustles down the court and blocks the layup attempt, Troy grabs the rebound for the putback and Bryant comes out of nowhere and blocks it and BK gets the ball and scores. What could have been a 13pt deficit, ended up having BK finish the quarter on an 14-2 run to go up 46-45 after the 3rd. That stood out in a big way to me, because being down double digits and having a turnover could have made both Chino and Bryant get down on themselves and just jog back not caring, but both knew it was championship time and hustled their a$$ off and that sequence was the major turning point in their victory.

Francis, much thanks, the last paragraph especially nice to hear!
Also, that Bryant has heart, competitive fire. I hope we stay in the mix with his recruitment.

Watched Chinso. My brief opinion. Much skinnier than I originally thought. But more athletic than I originally thought. Kid is clearly a raw talent but I think can explode by the time he hits his junior/senior year. Hopefully we can coach up big men by then (we miss Bernie.)

I think he has the potential because he’s athletic. This isn’t Deshonte Riley. He grabbed a rebound and put the ball on the floor to start a fast break. Long arms. He tries to block everything. Thought he had good hands when rebounding and seems like he tries to box out. He’s not as passive as Rak but he’s not killer aggressive either. Looks to me like he’d benefit immensely from being challenged. It’s hard to develop when you barely have to jump and bang against kids 10 inches shorter than you.

Bryant looks pretty good. I don’t know if he’s top 5 good but he’s good. I’m comparing him to these two because they were Rochester kids but John Wallace was better. He’s in the Ryan Blackwell vicinity – maybe with more of an outside game.

As they say, all good things must come to an end as BK is defeated in the state federation semi's by Christ The King 68-55 . Chino had 15pts, while Bryant had a season low 2pts. CTK is the best team not only in the city but the whole state imo.

As they say, all good things must come to an end as BK is defeated in the state federation semi's by Christ The King 68-55 . Chino had 15pts, while Bryant had a season low 2pts. CTK is the best team not only in the city but the whole state imo.
Fantastic run by BK. Very proud of Chino and Bryant's effort down this stretch.