Chocolate Thunder RIP | Syracusefan.com

Chocolate Thunder RIP

In my earliest 'brush with fame' — i was about 11, and a family friend knew Walter Davis from Cooney's Delaware High School. When Davis played with the Suns, and visited the 76ers in Philly, we'd get seats right behind the Suns bench. After the game, we'd go back to the locker room exit area, and wait for players, so i could get autographs.

When Dawkins came out, he was wearing a huge fur coat, and carrying a massive boombox. I asked for an autograph, and he smiled a big smile, and very gently and politely said he'd be happy to. He asked me to hold his 'radio,' and began to hand it to him so that he could sign his name on my pad. My father, though, sensing impending tragedy, intercepted the way-too-big-for-me-to-hold piece of electronic kit, saying, "maybe you'd better let me take that."

He was happy to interact with fans. Giant dude, with a sweet, gentle heart. RIP.
[Dr. J (that bastid) never came out. Ever...]

RIP
200.gif

Made an appearance at my sleep away camp, seems like 30 years ago, which is crazy to me. Pretty sure he picked up kids so they could throw down on a 10 foot rim. Like mentioned, big smile and seemed like a happy go lucky kind of guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom