Chris Ash defensive rankings 2002-2015 | Syracusefan.com

Chris Ash defensive rankings 2002-2015

Millhouse

Living Legend
Just looking at defenses of everywhere he's been. This ranking is defensive simple rating system. It's points above or below average adjusted by strength of schedule. Some of these he was just a position coach. feel free to do what you want with that

Year D Rank Team Job
2015 1 OSU DC
2014 17 OSU DC
2013 49 ARK DC
2012 20 WISC DC
2011 20 WISC DC
2010 29 WISC DB
2009 52 ISU DB
2008 114 SDSU DB
2007 106 SDSU DB
2006 108 ISU DB
2005 27 ISU DB
2004 31 ISU DB
2003 72 ISU DB
2002 43 ISU DB

At OSU and Wisconsin, he averages 17th.

Not at OSU and Wisconsin, he averages 67th

This guy might end up coaching at a factory, he might be great at it. But why spend the bulk of our money on a guy who was worked on average defenses everywhere he's been outside monster factories? We are not them

Just looking at defenses of everywhere he's been. This ranking is defensive simple rating system. It's points above or below average adjusted by strength of schedule. Some of these he was just a position coach. feel free to do what you want with that

Year D Rank Team Job
2015 1 OSU DC
2014 17 OSU DC
2013 49 ARK DC
2012 20 WISC DC
2011 20 WISC DC
2010 29 WISC DB
2009 52 ISU DB
2008 114 SDSU DB
2007 106 SDSU DB
2006 108 ISU DB
2005 27 ISU DB
2004 31 ISU DB
2003 72 ISU DB
2002 43 ISU DB

This guy might end up coaching at a factory. But why spend the bulk of our money on a guy who was worked on average defenses everywhere he's been outside monster factories? We are not them

With respect to the DC positions, I think it is more useful to compare the rankings to where the team was in the prior year. For example, OSU was atrocious in 2013, finishing 46th in overall defense and 110th in pass defense.

With respect to the DC positions, I think it is more useful to compare the rankings to where the team was in the prior year. For example, OSU was atrocious in 2013, finishing 46th in overall defense and 110th in pass defense.

No one is disputing he is an excellent secondary coach.

That doesnt work, someone posted yesterday how the teams he left, defenses got better after he left too

side note about this SRS ranking

SU's offense comes out at 46th here so take it with a grain of salt (all those oddball TDs help them and the really tough schedule too)

That doesnt work, someone posted yesterday how the teams he left, defenses got better after he left too

That logic isn't sound in my opinion. It only works if you assume they got better because he left, as opposed to a host of other reasons for the improvement. For example, he came into an atrocious ARK situation, improved the pass defense significantly and saw a continuation of that improvement in the next year. It doesn't make him a bad coach if the team continues to improve. In fact, I'd argue it shows in his case, where a person is promoted to a better position at a better program, he made a lasting impact on a unit.

Reactions: CIL
for instance Arkansas was 6th in 2014. they were 49th the year before when ash was there.

a stump could coach our defense next year and show improvement and that's not shafer's fault. too many variables

No one is disputing he is an excellent secondary coach.

You keep coming back to this point in every thread. It is much bigger than that; he makes teams better.

You keep coming back to this point in every thread. It is much bigger than that; he makes teams better.

He improved the secondary ranking from 112 which caused the rise in there overall rankings. His outstanding secondary coaching is which is causing the rise in the defensive rankings.

What example do you have of him making teams better? I see examples of vast improvement in the secondary and that correlates to the rise in overall defensive numbers. Which makes his overall defense better.

That logic isn't sound in my opinion. It only works if you assume they got better because he left, as opposed to a host of other reasons for the improvement. For example, he came into an atrocious ARK situation, improved the pass defense significantly and saw a continuation of that improvement in the next year. It doesn't make him a bad coach if the team continues to improve. In fact, I'd argue it shows in his case, where a person is promoted to a better position at a better program, he made a lasting impact on a unit.
lets hire him to improve the defense to average even though shafer would've done that anyway

images

Starring Millhouse as Col. Nathan R. Jessup.

He improved the secondary ranking from 112 which caused the rise in there overall rankings. His outstanding secondary coaching is which is causing the rise in the defensive rankings.

What example do you have of him making teams better? I see examples of vast improvement in the secondary and that correlates to the rise in overall defensive numbers. Which makes his overall defense better.

Under this logic, how about the Wisconsin defense when he took over as DC (29th to 20th)? How about the Arkansas defense, which was 76th the year before he came in as DC? How about, as a CO-DC, he took an awful OSU defense that was 110th in pass defense to 46 the next year and a NC?

I get it-you want an offensive guy. I'd prefer one as well. However, to say this guy is just a secondary coach and didn't improve the team isn't accurate.

Under this logic, how about the Wisconsin defense when he took over as DC (29th to 20th)? How about the Arkansas defense, which was 76th the year before he came in as DC? How about, as a CO-DC, he took an awful OSU defense that was 110th in pass defense to 46 the next year and a NC?

I get it-you want an offensive guy. I'd prefer one as well. However, to say this guy is just a secondary coach and didn't improve the team isn't accurate.
defense is random. schools are up and down. if a school is looking to make a change and hire someone else, there's a good chance it would just regress to the mean because they were down the year before. unless you're SU and hire people based on pete carroll's college dorm

my point is that over many years outside of factories, the defenses he's worked on are average.

afewgoodmenjack2.JPG

Son, we play in a sport that has scoreboards, and those scoreboards have to be lighten by men with skill. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Chris Ash? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Scott Shafer, and you curse the people who want offense. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that Scott Shafer's firings, while tragic, probably helps us put up more points; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, helps push for more points.

You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at games, you want more offense on scoreboard -- you need more offense on that scoreboard.

You use words like "hardnosed," "tough," "physical." You use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending defensive head coaches. We use them as a punch line.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who defends this type of Head Coach philosophy under the blanket of the football fan support that we as fans provide and then questions the manner in which we want as a HC.
I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you make a huge donation to the AD and become our T. Boone Pickens.

Either way, I don't give a DAMN what type of meathead think you're entitled to!

defense is random. schools are up and down. if a school is looking to make a change and hire someone else, there's a good chance it would just regress to the mean because they were down the year before. unless you're SU and hire people based on pete carroll's college dorm

my point is that over many years outside of factories, the defenses he's worked on are average.
i saw many people who were happy he left Ark when he did and it may well be true the better talent he has the better his systems work.

i saw many people who were happy he left Ark when he did and it may well be true the better talent he has the better his systems work.
there is so much factory envy. we know we aren't them but we wish we were and we think taking one of those guys will get us part of the way there. we need to embrace being different

Year D Rank Team Job
2015 1 OSU DC
2014 17 OSU DC
2013 49 ARK DC
2012 20 WISC DC
2011 20 WISC DC
2010 29 WISC DB
2009 52 ISU DB
2008 114 SDSU DB
2007 106 SDSU DB
2006 108 ISU DB
2005 27 ISU DB
2004 31 ISU DB
2003 72 ISU DB
2002 43 ISU DB

This guy might end up coaching at a factory, he might be great at it. But why spend the bulk of our money on a guy who was worked on average defenses everywhere he's been outside monster factories? We are not them

I'm not endorsing Ash by any means, however, everywhere he has been a DC the defenses have been very good.

You can't put it on a position coach that doesn't have a say in the schemes or call plays. That would be like penalizing Baber's for Purdue's crap offenses in the early 90's when he was their WR coach.

You hire the best guy. You hope they have a vision for both the offense and the defense when you get them. Who knows, maybe Ash wants to run Urban's spread. No idea. There are plenty of crappy coaches with air raid offenses too.

I'm not endorsing Ash by any means, however, everywhere he has been a DC the defenses have been very good.

You can't put it on a position coach that doesn't have a say in the schemes or call plays. That would be like penalizing Baber's for Purdue's crap offenses in the early 90's when he was their WR coach.

You hire the best guy. You hope they have a vision for both the offense and the defense when you get them. Who knows, maybe Ash wants to run Urban's spread. No idea. There are plenty of crappy coaches with air raid offenses too.
we don't have that much to go on. i'd feel better about a DC who succeeded at a school that isn't supposed to always be great. it might not be his fault but he doesn't have that in his background

we don't have that much to go on. i'd feel better about a DC who succeeded at a school that isn't supposed to always be great. it might not be his fault but he doesn't have that in his background

Moot point anyway I hope. Babers or bust.