Chris Petersen "15 more practices at this | Syracusefan.com

Chris Petersen "15 more practices at this

I think this depends on the state of your program. He has been at Boise and now Washington who is in the playoff. So I am sure he can lay back some as the back-ups on his rosters are good enough to start elsewhere and they can enjoy this time of year more. A program like SU who has been at the very bottom of college football for so long and who doesn't have 4 and 5 star recruits as back-ups needs those extra 15 a lot more

Petersen's opinion certainly has value in it. The guy has basically been as successful as possible every where he's been.

That being said, there's more than one school of thought here. After 15 weeks, your 1st teamers are probably where they're going to be, just keep them sharp.

But, to not use those practices to work FR/So into your system so you can hit Spring running would be a poor use of time. Those kids work Scout Team almost exclusively all year, get them reps and find out some things about them.

You've also got to have a little fun here and there to keep the kids from being bored to death.

THERE IS NO 15 PRACTICES RULE!!!!! aarrrrrrgggg......

time of year doesn't really help you". We typically only use 10"

Always read here how crucial they are but what does Petersen know
i think chris petersen has cracked some sort of magic practice code that no one knows about - we used to make kitchen stink jokes here but he has figured out some secret to running everything under the sun in limited practice time (assuming he plays by those rules)

THERE IS NO 15 PRACTICES RULE!!!!! aarrrrrrgggg...
how much do teams practice?

20 hrs per week is still the limit.

most teams give the kids a break after the season also depending on the game breaks during the bowl prep.

once finals are done dont some of the limits come off too?

15 may not be a real number but its not 30 either.

Petersen's opinion certainly has value in it. The guy has basically been as successful as possible every where he's been.

That being said, there's more than one school of thought here. After 15 weeks, your 1st teamers are probably where they're going to be, just keep them sharp.

But, to not use those practices to work FR/So into your system so you can hit Spring running would be a poor use of time. Those kids work Scout Team almost exclusively all year, get them reps and find out some things about them.

You've also got to have a little fun here and there to keep the kids from being bored to death.

Exactly- this is an article about Iowa's preparation.

In the early stages of bowl preparation, starters and other heavily-used players enter a rest-and-recovery phase. For true freshmen, it’s really their first chance to shine.

“A lot of young guys that have been training all fall long,” said Doyle, Iowa’s 18th-year strength and conditioning coach. “And now it’s their opportunity to get back on the field and get meaningful reps with the coaches; get meaningful reps on film.

“(It’s) really important for our growth and our health as a football program moving forward to have this opportunity.”

how much do teams practice?

20 hrs per week is still the limit.

most teams give the kids a break after the season also depending on the game breaks during the bowl prep.

once finals are done dont some of the limits come off too?

15 may not be a real number but its not 30 either.

Correct. It's one of my pet peeves that we would "get 15 additional practices". The only 15 practice rule is during Spring practice. It has nothing to do with Bowl Season. the 30 hours was something I read last year, but recently found that wasn't correct either. The bowl-season practice rules are essentially the same as the regular season rules - 20 hours and no more than 4 days a week.

I heard someone on a radio saying that now that 80 teams of 120 go to bowls, including 5-7 teams, then they should just open up the 15 practices to everyone. If a school doesn't want to do it, they don't have to.

I don't understand why they don't just do this already.

I heard someone on a radio saying that now that 80 teams of 120 go to bowls, including 5-7 teams, then they should just open up the 15 practices to everyone. If a school doesn't want to do it, they don't have to.

If they care at all about competitive balance, yes. No brainer.

If they care at all about competitive balance, yes. No brainer.

Agree, it's one thing to say it's a reward for those who got there. But bowl practices used to be about practicing and preparing for the bowl game.

Now that losing teams go to bowl games, the whole concept has changed.

But since 12 team, 2 divisions is so important to the very fabric of a conference championship game, I don't expect the dinosaurs that run the show to change this one either.

they should just match up the remaining 40 into 20 onsight games.

keep it local to cut down on travel.

Syracuse @ Rutgers or vice versa etc...

they should just match up the remaining 40 into 20 onsight games.

keep it local to cut down on travel.

Syracuse @ Rutgers or vice versa etc...

This. Just allow every program to play a "13th" post-season game at their choosing. Want to go to a bowl in a southern state and play in front of 15K? Want to play another 4-8 team at one of the home stadiums in mid-December? Knock yourself out.

This. Just allow every program to play a "13th" post-season game at their choosing. Want to go to a bowl in a southern state and play in front of 15K? Want to play another 4-8 team at one of the home stadiums in mid-December? Knock yourself out.
my other thought is let them travel and play it as a JV game.

for example the Pinstripe Bowl...before pitt-nw...you get Syracuse - Rutgers.

that would likely sell the remaing 20k seats and make it a 'sell out'.

If it's anything like me when I went to college, all the crap that goes into their heads in the winter or spring is gone by the next year anyway.

time of year doesn't really help you". We typically only use 10"

Always read here how crucial they are but what does Petersen know

Agree, the extra practice thing is overrated, especially since most on this board thinks our problem is a lack of talent and need for better recruiting. So, why continue to practice and develop the inferior talent? Yes, there is a bit of value, but not a ton of benefit.

Agree, the extra practice thing is overrated, especially since most on this board thinks our problem is a lack of talent and need for better recruiting. So, why continue to practice and develop the inferior talent? Yes, there is a bit of value, but not a ton of benefit.

I think you are seriously underestimating how important this extra practice time would be for a young team putting in new systems across the board. The extra practice thing for a program like Syracuse would be a godsend.

I think you are seriously underestimating how important this extra practice time would be for a young team putting in new systems across the board. The extra practice thing for a program like Syracuse would be a godsend.

Yes. Chris Peterson is coaching a 12-1 college playoff team. We are a team with 11 wins in 3 years. I will take the 15 practices

It wasn't that hard for me to find the articles I did link to in this thread and I could find more. I think I'll take the coaches word for it.

It wasn't that hard for me to find the articles I did link to in this thread and I could find more. I think I'll take the coaches word for it.

Saying the 15 practices don't matter and who cares if BC or whomever is playing in a low level bowl is what fans of a 4 win team with a 3 year bowl drought say.

Peterson is preparing this years team to win 1/2 games. 15 practices is too much for that. You need to read what he said in a vacuum.

15 practices would be a huge benefit to us next year.

Yes, i wish we made a bowl and had the extra time but the hypocrisy is the stance that we dont have the talent and need a huge bump in recruiting. Many on this board berate our current talent and talk of bringing in more talented players, thus my point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom